Love Formal Nights?--Read this...

Rusty

From the Summer 2008 Celebrity Captain's Club News:

"Dressing for dinner...One of the biggest changes to dining with Celebrity has nothing to do with food. For long-time cruisers like you, who truly appreciate the ambience of life onboard an ocean-going vessel, we are reviving one of cruising's most romantic traditions beginning on August 1, 2008--formal dining. With up to three formal evenings each cruise, you can celebrate in the style and warmth of our exceptional service. Even those nights not designated as "formal" will include a certain elegance, as we phase out informal dress in our main dining rooms and specialty restaurants, replacing it with "Smart Casual and Above", a guideline that will add to the sophistication of each night out. Of course, those who who'd rather not dress for dinner, are more that welcome to come and enjoy the exceptional menus in the may casual dining options onboard each ship, where you'll find everything from pizza to sushi."

Comments?

"Dressing for dinner...One of the biggest changes to dining with Celebrity has nothing to do with food. For long-time cruisers like you, who truly appreciate the ambience of life onboard an ocean-going vessel, we are reviving one of cruising's most romantic traditions beginning on August 1, 2008--formal dining. With up to three formal evenings each cruise, you can celebrate in the style and warmth of our exceptional service. Even those nights not designated as "formal" will include a certain elegance, as we phase out informal dress in our main dining rooms and specialty restaurants, replacing it with "Smart Casual and Above", a guideline that will add to the sophistication of each night out. Of course, those who who'd rather not dress for dinner, are more that welcome to come and enjoy the exceptional menus in the may casual dining options onboard each ship, where you'll find everything from pizza to sushi."

Comments?

Works for me! YEA Celebrity!

Just wish HAL would spell out in words what is meant by smart casual and then have the "police" on duty to make people conform to the rules!!

I think most cruisers are mature adults and can conform to the spirit of the request without the need for "police" or a litany of dos and don'ts. There are always going to be the few who lack maturity or have a sense of selfish entitlement that will disregard the request, primarily creating a problem for the service staff. In most cases, I find these few are easy to ignore and dismiss as people behaving boorishly.

I thought the whole point of Formal Night is to Dress Up, but if someone is casual - I do not think it would bother me too much. Now with so many dining options, seems like only those who really want to enjoy formal night will attend.

My husband wears a suit, my son wears a suit, he is partial to bow ties. I am excited about buying a few new formal dresses !!

Comments?

HAL currently offers up to 3 formal evenings depending on length of cruise, smart casual dress has already replaced informal & there are several alternatives for those that choose to dine more casually. What's the difference in what Celebrity is now introducing?

That people don't want to dress up anymore? If I had a nickel for everytime I've read that I could go on a world voyage (twice)

Good move by Celebrity anf Hope Hal follows.

The only change going on at Celebrity is the elimination of informal night and this has been " out there" for a while, now.

The majority of Celebrity's cruises are longer than 7 days, thus the 3 formal night thing, that they have been doing for years.

While the Celebrity board is not as active as the HAL board, on a percentage basis, they have the about the same number of never ending debates about dress codes, lack of enforcement, jeans and so on.

Cruising is nothing more than a reflection of the general public.

The only change going on at Celebrity is the elimination of informal night and this has been " out there" for a while, now.

The majority of Celebrity's cruises are longer than 7 days, thus the 3 formal night thing, that they have been doing for years.

While the Celebrity board is not as active as the HAL board, on a percentage basis, they have the about the same number of never ending debates about dress codes, lack of enforcement, jeans and so on.

Cruising is nothing more than a reflection of the general public.

But must admit I saw more Blue blazers boarding celebrity than Hal.

Just an observation?

But must admit I saw more Blue blazers boarding celebrity than Hal.

Just an observation?

I never leave home without a blue blazer. I never board ship without wearing a blue blazer (and the large HAL mariner buttons are such a nice accessory). I may be a cheapskate, but I got couth. My mamma dint raise no rednek. When I get a wild hair, I'll even don a fedora instead of a baseball cap. And I always wear the baseball cap in the proper manner, catch me if you can. :D

I never leave home without a blue blazer. I never board ship without wearing a blue blazer (and the large HAL mariner buttons are such a nice accessory). I may be a cheapskate, but I got couth. My mamma dint raise no rednek. When I get a wild hair, I'll even don a fedora instead of a baseball cap. And I always wear the baseball cap in the proper manner, catch me if you can. :D

Go with the "Laurel And Hardy" style hat

and this jacket

uniform9.jpg

610x.jpg

Go with the "Laurel And Hardy" style hat

and this jacket

Actually, for the hat I was thinking more in line with Indiana Jones for the casual moments, or the early 007 movies for more formal wear, I have both. If pressed, I can pull out the Rowdy Yates look or the Crocodile Dundee look, but I would rather not have to travel by air to prove the point. As for the blazer, I've stripped the glitter and go with simply blue. I do have coordinated baseball caps to accessorize the blazers as well, and they pack easily, take little space in the overhead, and I can use the playing cards for solitare when I get bored (wouldn't want to do one of those three card game scams in polite company). :rolleyes:

Actually, for the hat I was thinking more in line with Indiana Jones for the casual moments, or the early 007 movies for more formal wear, I have both. If pressed, I can pull out the Rowdy Yates look or the Crocodile Dundee look, but I would rather not have to travel by air to prove the point. As for the blazer, I've stripped the glitter and go with simply blue. I do have coordinated baseball caps to accessorize the blazers as well, and they pack easily, take little space in the overhead, and I can use the playing cards for solitare when I get bored (wouldn't want to do one of those three card game scams in polite company). :rolleyes:

Which means you need this hat

palm_frond_hat.jpg

And this shirt

draft_lens1964260module9314394photo_1209416293vintage_shirt.jpg

Just wear it on the plane

I travel with a black blazer primarily for the smart casual nights.

Is there a difference in tradition, utility, occasion or appropriateness between the wearing of a black vs. a blue blazer?

I travel with a black blazer primarily for the smart casual nights.

Is there a difference in tradition, utility, occasion or appropriateness between the wearing of a black vs. a blue blazer?

I am not a fashion expert, but my DD informs me that blue goes better with blue, khaki, tan or brown than black which basically goes with black. I have been counseled on a number of occasions for mixing my blue blazer with black trousers. Since I have a number of blue blazers, I haven't explored the possibilities and fashion sense of mixing khaki, tan or brown with a black blazer. Since I find it easy to conform to the fashion sense of DD, other considerations are not important to me, so I can't answer your specific questions. But I wouldn't feel at all uncomfortable doing what you suggested.

Comments?

Good for you Celebrity........

Never judge a book by its cover. We had a good friend some time ago that owned the vast majority of buildings in a major tourist district in Oakland and he also happened to be the head of all of a certain state's banks. He could buy anything he wanted. When I first met him I dressed for the smart casual late luncheon we expected. He showed up in coveralls holding a hammer. He liked to tinker on some of his property. It is just something he did. We went to a very nice place I had never heard of in the Chinatown district. The waiters fell over themselves serving us. Our meal was custom and far different than anyone in the dining room could order.

To this day his style was that of the most elegant gentleman I have ever had the good fortune to meet and yes he could wear any tux he has on a ship but he could also show up in coveralls.

This is not going anywhere because I do dress up. Just sharing a fond memory about someone in coveralls who could buy a ship. But every single time I see someone dressed "uniquely" and against the flow I wonder...

Just wish HAL would spell out in words what is meant by smart casual and then have the "police" on duty to make people conform to the rules!!

Here's what HAL says on their website under DRESS CODE:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen usually wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

NOW... here is my question... please define "sports shirt". I live in So. California and 90% of my "sport shirts" are Hawaiian. Many are nice, Tommy Bahamas, etc. I have very few solid color sport shirts. So... is that going to make the grade?

Actually HAL has already eliminated informal nights and substituted smart casual for them.

True and this is exactly what Celebrity has done, too.

They are encouraging passengers to choose more casual dining enviornments if they do not wish to conform. I did not notice anything about how those dressed causally would be denied access to evening entertainment venues.

All the cruise lines, at any price point are being challenged by many passengers who change into more casual clothes after dinner.

Archived