NCL, RCI or Celebrity with kids (cross post)

marmoreus

Hi,

I posted this queston on the first time cruisers section but thought I'd check with this section as well.

First time cruiser here looking for advice. I've been searching the boards like crazy but am still not sure which cruise line to choose.

We are a family of 5: 2 adults, a 7 yo, 5 yo and 2 yo

I don't necessarily care much about kids programs because I'm guessing the kids will be with us most of the time. I would like a ship that has stuff that is appealing to kids though. I am a bit of a foodie but not too picky.

We already have our airfare so we are limited to certain ships.

Anyway, the choices are:

RCI Navigator Royal Family Suite (Cayman and Ocho Rios)

NCL Jewel AB Suite (Cayman and Cozumel)

Celebrity Century 2 connecting oceanview rooms--no suites available (Cayman and Ocho Rios)

NCL is $600 more than RCI. Celebrity would be considerably less. Money is a consideration but we were prepared to pay the suite price. I've read that the food on Celebrity is the best of these 3 but I worry about the room situation--my husband likes as much space as possible.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts to help me with this decision. I have holds on the two suites so I need to either let one of them go or let them both go and grab the connecting rooms on Celebrity.

Thanks so much!

Lisa

I can't help with Celebrity, but between RCCL and NCL and considering the facts in your post, I would definitely go with RCCL.

NCL in general is appealing because its kids' club starts at 2 and the child does not need to be potty trained (RCCL is 3 AND potty trained). But, since that's not important to you, that "pro" goes off the list.

The other "pro" for NCL is the freestyle dining - NCL ships have lots of dining options and no set dining time. I think this is great for families. BUT, at least half of the dining venues have surcharges, so with NCL costing more in the first place, it would cost even more in onboard charges to sail on. Usually NCL is a lot less (lower base price, higher onboard charges and in the end it's the same as RCCL), but not this time. So that "pro" also goes off the list.

RCCL Navigator has much more varied activities for children (especially your oldest). Inline skating, mini golf, ice skating, rock climbing - all free. I think the children would enjoy RCCL more - especially for the price.

As far as rooms: The Voyager class ships have 2 neat sets of cabins on deck 9 that work well for families of 5. All the way forward, on either side of the ship, are balcony rooms that connect to a large oceanview room. The two rooms generally end up costing less than a junior suite - and you get two bathrooms. It's not as much space as the Royal Family suite (I'm assuming here), but it is a nice option.

Thanks for your reply, Patty.

I've now narrowed it down to NCL and RCI. I also realized that the price difference is actually $200 not $600 because the NCL price included insurance while the RCI did not.

As I said on the first timers board, I start leaning toward the RCI when I think of the activities for the kids (although my kids would be happy as clams with the bare minimum--a hotel with a pool is heaven to them!) but then I've read about the suite perks on NCL with free breakfast and lunches at Cagney's (a specialty restaurant) that's supposed to be pretty good and that sounds really appealing too.

The other comparison that I'm not sure makes a difference is the port stops. They both stop at Cayman but RCI goes to Jamaica and NCL goes to Cozumel. Never been to either spot so I don't know if we'd like one spot more than the other.

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for your opinion and I'd love to hear any others as well!

Archived