Connection in Madrid

FinelyRetired

Assuming you have one ticket for the entire trip, you will not need to worry about your luggage until you reach your final destination (Barcelona).

At MAD, you will go through passport control, probably go through security, but not need to worry about your luggage.

On the way back, you will need to do the the find your bags/go through customs/recheck your bags routine at your first stop in the U.S.

Paul

Flights to/from US or non-Schengen countries use T4S(atellite). Domestic flights as well as flights to/from Schengen countries use T4 assuming you fly IB for the MAD/BCN leg.

There are train similar to that in DFW, connects T4 and T4S. MAD is a large, beautiful airport. The train is very convenient. However, you probably should have at least 1.5 hours to make the connection mainly due to the fact you need to look up the signages to find your way.

Which airline you fly from PVD to MAD and which airline you fly from MAD to BCN? They would be 2 airlines as US carriers do not fly between MAD and BCN, assuming you take US carrier PVD/MAD.

If the 2 airlines have interline agreement, your luggages can be checked thru.

My aunts just went to Spain a month ago, and they had to fly into Madrid from Atlanta, connecting to Bilbao. The first part was on Delta, and then the second was on Iberia.

It was a good thing they had 3 hours, because they needed it. Let me first say that I usually travel with them, and since I didn't they were totally lost. They said nobody wanted to speak english to them, and they were standing the the lost in found line for 30 minutes, and thought it was customer service. Once they got their bags from Delta, they had to go to terminal 4 for Iberia. They had to check their bags through Iberia, and the lady who they had didn't want to help them.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

The staff behind the Help Desk speak very good English. We did have to drop by one when we were trying to find our way for the Train between T4 and T4S. (We were doing the reverse - arrived MAD from BCN on IB, and departed BCN for ZRH, also on IB).

ASFAIK, US flights arrived at T4S. I am not sure about European airlines which mostly likely would not be coming directly from US, but their own gateway cities in Europe - such as BA would be from LHR.

It looks to me the OP flies US Carrier PVD to MAD and it would arrive at T4S. Then the domestic leg would be at T4.

Thanks nho9504 & cot427!

I'm on USAIR. Checked with them this morning. The MAD-BCN segment is a USAIR flight # "OPERATED BY SPAINAIR." They're considered a partner & bags will check on through automatically. My connection time is: 1hr, 15 min. I'll call

US Airways again & see about the T4S-T4 terminal change. I will be sure to get directions from the stewards before I leave the plane.

Thanks for the heads up!

Martha

P.S. If any of you speak Spanish...how do you say:

"Could you help me find the train to terminal T4?" :) Seriously, I'll make sure I have some phrases written out before I go.

Where is terminal four? - Donde esta terminal cuatro?

Where is the train to terminal four? - Donde esta el tren hasta terminal cuatro?

Help me? - Ayudame

Excuse me Disculpe or Con Permiso

Please - Por Favor

Thank You - Gracias

**I take spanish in school.**

it would give you a better idea than calling US Air as the CSR at US Air would not know the actual layout of the airport.

http://www.madrid-mad.com/maps.html

http://www.madrid-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/madrid-airport.html

http://www.madrid-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/airport-madrid.html

The 2nd & 3rd link should explain good enough of what you need to do for connection.

It looks like you will arrive at T1, and your connection flight would be either T2 or T3 - those are old terminals. Looks like you would depart from T2 for your MAD/BCN leg. I do not know if these are easy walk or not but do know the old terminals are not as large as the brandnew T4 and T4S. The transfer between T1, 2 & 3 are done by shuttle buses. Your connection time seems rather tight.

http://www.madrid-mad.com/transportation.html

Spainair is part of Star Alliance so yes, you can do interline luggage transfer. Make sure your luggage tags read PVD/MAD/BCN and your claim checks should also reflect that.

Where is terminal four? - Donde esta terminal cuatro?

Where is the train to terminal four? - Donde esta el tren hasta terminal cuatro?

Help me? - Ayudame

Excuse me Disculpe or Con Permiso

Please - Por Favor

Thank You - Gracias

**I take spanish in school.**

LOL. You are too cute. I'm "of an age" that the 2nd language I was taught in school was French!

Merci beaucoup, mon ami.

Martha

P.S. I have put your phrases on file cards!

it would give you a better idea than calling US Air as the CSR at US Air would not know the actual layout of the airport.

http://www.madrid-mad.com/maps.html

http://www.madrid-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/madrid-airport.html

http://www.madrid-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/airport-madrid.html

The 2nd & 3rd link should explain good enough of what you need to do for connection.

It looks like you will arrive at T1, and your connection flight would be either T2 or T3 - those are old terminals. Looks like you would depart from T2 for your MAD/BCN leg. I do not know if these are easy walk or not but do know the old terminals are not as large as the brandnew T4 and T4S. The transfer between T1, 2 & 3 are done by shuttle buses. Your connection time seems rather tight.

http://www.madrid-mad.com/transportation.html

Spainair is part of Star Alliance so yes, you can do interline luggage transfer. Make sure your luggage tags read PVD/MAD/BCN and your claim checks should also reflect that.

Thanks. I called Us Airways re: terminals. They wont commit until 24 hrs before flight. I will make sure I do that. The info you linked to has been printed out. Assuming the norm occurs, it may well be T1 to T2 or T3. They appear closely clustered on the map you sent me. Yet, you were concerned re: my connection time. Is that terminal area quite larger than it appears with long walks/or shuttle between?

I suppose that the late morning flight I'm taking to BCN wont be the only one of the day........

Thanks for all your time to post very helpful links. I imagine others on this board will be using them as well.

Martha

Thanks. I called Us Airways re: terminals. They wont commit until 24 hrs before flight. I will make sure I do that. The info you linked to has been printed out. Assuming the norm occurs, it may well be T1 to T2 or T3. They appear closely clustered on the map you sent me. Yet, you were concerned re: my connection time. Is that terminal area quite larger than it appears with long walks/or shuttle between?

I suppose that the late morning flight I'm taking to BCN wont be the only one of the day........

Thanks for all your time to post very helpful links. I imagine others on this board will be using them as well.

Martha

Because it mentions the connections between T1 and T2 is by SHUTTLE BUSES - meaning you have to wait for a shuttle which could be every 15 min and it takes time to get on and off the shuttle. I dont have an idea of that, but common sense tells you anytime a shuttle bus is involved, it would run on a schedule with time intervals.

Between MAD/BCN used to have hourly shuttle flights, until Feb of this year when the Highspeed Train between MAD/BCN started running. Due to the popularity of the Highspeed Train, the shuttle flights have been drastically reduced. For example IB has cut its schedule down to 2 or 3 daily from 6 a day.

If you do not board your cruise the same day, a misconnection at MAD is not a big deal for you should always be able to board a later flight. If you are doing same day arrival to board your cruise, then you may have some anxious moments.

P.S. Your T1 arrival would not change in the next few months - airlines contract with airports to lease gates - those are done at least 12 months ahead and once the lease is signed, the gate numbers are fixed, meaning the locations are fixed (as in a particular terminal.) Only when there are some other stuff going on at the airport, such as continuous renovation / construction etc that the airlines would move from terminal to terminal.

Note we are talking about TERMINAL here, NOT GATE - the agent may misunderstand terminal being gate info - 2 completely different concepts.

nho9504: No, I'll be arriving 2 days prior to cruise. If I don't make the flight, my only concern will be to get in touch with my driver/guide & plan alternative pick-up. He'll be waiting at BCN to collect me & give me an overview tour of Barcelona on the way to my hotel. Doubt this would be the first delay he ever had at an airport. I'll be sure to warn him before I leave the States that the connection time is a bit close and exchange cell phone numbers.

Thanks for all the info, I feel very confident now, even if I miss that connection in Madrid.

Martha

Archived