Currency Ashore?

stecee

Hi

We will be going on our first cruise in Feb with Ocean Village around the Caribbean. What currency do we use when we go ashore? Is there one particular currency that is widely accepted in the Caribbean? I know there is a money changing facility on the ship, but I fear the comission rates will be high.We plan to take some US dollars as I am sure I have read that this is accepted most places but I want to be sure. Thanks for your replies.

U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere. Just make sure you don't try to pay for a tiny purchase with a large denomination bill--they will give you local currency as change--and you don't want that! Take some $20's and $10's for those "straw market" purchases (where they seldom accept credit cards).

I agree completely with CB, the US dollar is used all over the Caribbean. I would also suggest that you take ones and fives with you. You may find something small to purchase and the person may or may not have change. (They should, but sometimes people say that they don't.)

Have a fabulous cruise!

Archived