RCL Cuts 400 Jobs

Coco Creek

Keep in mind though that there is probably duplication among RCCL Celebrity and Azmara staff. The company I work for has instituted a "Lean" process- translation RIF any way you cut it. Will service suffer - probably - will it mean more work for the folks left - surely but they neeed to work smarter not necessarily harder. I honestly believe that if management empowers the folks downstairs to "do the right thing" instead of constantly kicking decisions upstairs to Mahogany Row - what you will see is a better run company

Welcome to today's economic environment.

Do you still have a job?

Can you afford to cruise?

Instead of worrying about how it's going to affect 'on shore customer service' (in other words, me/you/us), how does it affect those 400+ who are now out of a job?

I feel bad for them. I know a company has gotta do what a company has gotta to but layoffs are never a good situation.

ps. I agreee wholeheartedly with hermang.

The company I work for has instituted a "Lean" process- translation RIF any way you cut it.

"We have gone beyond "Lean and Mean" to "Anorexic and Psychotic" :rolleyes: "

Do you still have a job?

Can you afford to cruise?

Instead of worrying about how it's going to affect 'on shore customer service' (in other words, me/you/us), how does it affect those 400+ who are now out of a job?

I feel bad for them. I know a company has gotta do what a company has gotta to but layoffs are never a good situation.

ps. I agreee wholeheartedly with hermang.

I agree with you. The only mitigating factor is that only 300 lost their jobs while the other 100 jobs were vacant and will not now be filled. Not that this is much consolation to those who did lose their jobs. Cuts involved not only entry level employees but also some well known executives. It may be interesting to see where those folks eventually end up.

Cuts indicative of business evironment - future bookings appear to be soft based on how many adverts/promos I'm getting, seeing from multiple cruiselines. Others have also pointed to all the new cabin supply arriving as adding to difficulty of filling all the space. Hope for improvement sooner than later.

As a further testament to 'it is the economy' DCX (Chrysler) announced today it will be cutting 1,000 salaried jobs worldwide by 9/30/2008.

Head down, nose to the grindstone, and keeping my fingers crossed for all my fellow cruisers out there.

In addition I heard from TA that Celebrity cut some of it Business Development managers. These are the people who go to TA's. The exact number was not known

Several years ago the Health Insurance company I worked for experienced loses - so they fired - or Rif'd the people who went to the doctor's office to convince them to accept the company's health plans and smoothe over ruffled feelings. Most of the doctors said that they hadn't seen a rep in months and felt that the company cared more about making money than customer service - Net Net was that many doctors that were po'd to start with - dropped the company and would no longer accecpt the plan - Some patients left some stayed but in the long run the Insurance Co took it in the ear

A basic principal of business management is that, while profits cannot be created by reducing the expense line instead of increasing the revenue line, the failure to consider waste and redundancies in staff assignments will, paradoxically, help build revenues by a clarity of mission and objectives.

It works in most businesses that have an attractive product that is in demand but just needs a refocus of its efforts.

I applaud RCI's decision. So does Wall Street.

Hello,

Surely, at times layoffs become necessary if the economy softens. I believe though that layoffs should be done only as a last resort and never to bolster the stock price. And hopefully the next time those of you who applaud RCCL's move, need help from an experienced cruise line representative, will get someone who can help you. Most likely you will not...the good ones will be overworked and the less paid won't know how to help you.

Fred

Hello,

Surely, at times layoffs become necessary if the economy softens. I believe though that layoffs should be done only as a last resort and never to bolster the stock price. And hopefully the next time those of you who applaud RCCL's move, need help from an experienced cruise line representative, will get someone who can help you. Most likely you will not...the good ones will be overworked and the less paid won't know how to help you.

Fred

One should note however that the mere notice doesn't necessarily mean that these people were walked out the door that day. In the first place the word was that 300 people would be layed off and 100 positions would not be filled.

I don't know the law in Florida but in CT - it falls under the Warn act - not sure if this is a state or federal law where 60 days notice has to be given to the state and employees in the case of a large layoff.

Generally these people are given some kind of severance package - usually 2 weeks for every year of service + maybe a lump sum and maybe vesting if less than 5 years.

They are eligible for COBRA for their medical benefits - 102% of what the company pays not what they paid - and that is for 18 months.

The hardest thing is for long term employees. Saw that at one company and my friends at another are dealing with it now - In the first case people started there out of HS or college and knew no other employment for up to 30 years. In the second - The company was acquired about 18 years ago and they had worked for the original owners - so its a case of - I have always done this - now what do I do.

Only thing to remember is that while you are still breathing - you CAN find another job - I did several times

Archived