What Would You Like to See Gone?

sail7seas

I love NCL, they do what they do very well. I also love HAL they do (did?) their thing very well. If I'm booking HAL I want to wear my tux, have an assigned table, get to know the waitstaff and my tablemates etc.

I'm now reluctant to book HAL because it seems I will probably be forced into anytime dining.

I like the display of the embarkation photos so I can figure out who the other gay pax are.

Gawd the art at the auctions is awful (IMHO). But if folks are into that what do I care.

Jeff

Does anyone have a pic of the infamous art auctions? The deck plans simply say "art gallery" and the brocheres contain pics of an empty atrium. People mention the art spilling over into the main passageways, so I'm wondering what people are referring to?

It's hard to fathom a person that books a year out and can't get traditional dining? I got the ole bait and switch on my next cruise. I booked on the ship,and the future cruise consultant asked me what dining I wanted? I asked for late night traditional she typed it into her lap top and I was good to go. I get home and open my email and find out (you guessed it) I'm on waitlist for traditional dining. The point is why even ask me?

Do you think they do this to give the ship's dining room staff more control? Maybe to increase their tips a bit??

How about this scenario: You are given "Anytime Dining" and you wanted Late Seating. so the first thing when you get on the ship, you head to the Maitre 'd and ask so nicely for a table for "Late Seating". The Maitre 'd says "hmmmm... well, let me see what I can do for you". and then magically... he says after a few minutes... "AH HA!! I have a table for you for "Late Seating". You are sooooo happy and grateful that he was able to get you a table, you slip him a quick $20.00 dollar bill!!

Just a thought.... :o

Does anyone have a pic of the infamous art auctions? The deck plans simply say "art gallery" and the brocheres contain pics of an empty atrium. People mention the art spilling over into the main passageways, so I'm wondering what people are referring to?

2997963350101871348S500x500Q85.jpg

This is the cluttered up entrance to the Ocean Bar on a recent Zaandam Cruise.

I believe I am part of HAL's target market; 54, DINK. I have always travelled, before last year the only floating transport used would have been a ferry. Now I'm ready to slow down a little (carrying luggage up and down every step in Europe gets harder as you get older). Finally DH is willing to travel with me, but he has never been into the fun of being in a different hotel every day or two. So, last year we were lured to cruise. I did MONTHS of research and chose HAL. The "current" HAL that so many of you dislike. It was a perfect match. Here's my 2 cents:

Towel animals - which would you rather do, make a towel animal ot clean a toilet? If I had the steward's job (and I've had similar) I'd like the "break".

Art Auctions - my elementary school had an "open concept" (no walls between classrooms unless they were smelly; home ec, science - so I learned to ignore stuff that I didn't need to be part of. I can only suppose that this training has allowed me to not notice the art auctions.

AYWD - my first experience was traditional, and we had two glorious tablemates and two that we would eat in the Lido to avoid. I love to meet new people and, as a solo traveler on land have always been able to, so AYW seems like a great option. Meet new folks every night, if you want to eat with them the next night, you can. If not, don't

Ship photographers; DH and I have very few pics of ourselves together. We bought 2 (one formal and, yes, the embarkation photo).

The photography was, luckily for us apparently, totally unobtrusive.

Love it all. Again, target market; was upgraded to a deluxe suite first cruise, DH MUST have deluxe suite this time. Notice a pattern?:o

And the last of the pattern is me saying, "flame away" because I feel I need to add the disclaimer to tell everyone reading that I feel I am in the minority. Viva la differance.

BTW, I would love to have dinner with any of you. We don't have to be agree on everything to enjoy conversation. If we did, what would we talk about?

I've actually tripped on, or come darn close to tripping on, art set up on easels out in hallways on cruise ships. Ditto the ship's photog's tripods, lights, etc. (I am not a clutz and I'm not very big)

On our last cruise (CCL), while we did pose for some formal night photos, and did purchase a couple, the photography thing was pretty out of control! There were photographers, scenery, lights and all set up in every clear spot, or so it seemed. Trying to walk by all that, in heels with a glass of wine, plus having to go single file to fit past, felt somewhat less than elegant. It was very zoo-y and chaotic. Granted, it was Carnival, but it was pretty ridiculous.

I'm hoping it will be less so on our HAL cruise in December.

Oh my gosh!

Now I see the problem. Thanks so much GmaPajama.

It gets worse on some ships, where they spread them all around the atrium, up against the railing and on both sides so that the aisle only allows alternating one-way traffic. I wish they would move these auctions to the Stuyvesant/Hudson/Half Moon rooms area.

Some of these things mentioned can also apply to other ships as well.

I've never been on a ship that didn't have them all, to one degree or another.

I don't suppose getting rid of them all is really the issue for me, just keep them out of my way! People who want to go to the art auction will find it...

And the port (sales) pitches are all well and good, I suppose, but I'd like to see an alternative talk about local culture, history, etc.

While we're wishing, how about adding an on-board shop carrying a good assortment of local souvenirs, made in and representative of the itinerary. Obviously, this is impractical on some unique itineraries that sail once or twice a year, but for most, it shouldn't be that big a deal. I mean really? How many cruise line/ship t-shirts and hats does one need?

Archived