Honeymoon Dining

jp1982

Quick question for you all. We are sailing on Grand Princess for our honeymoon and have requested a table for two, it being our honeymoon and all. But do you think we should request a table for four or six? My parents thought we should get the "real" cruise experience. :-) Thanks for your help! :)

Quick question for you all. We are sailing on Grand Princess for our honeymoon and have requested a table for two, it being our honeymoon and all. But do you think we should request a table for four or six? My parents thought we should get the "real" cruise experience. :-) Thanks for your help! :)

We really enjoy meeting people, so we always request a large table. Since it's your honeymoon, it's all up to you. Would you prefer to be alone or enjoy some company for dinner? You could request a larger table and then reserve that table for two at one of the specialty restaurants...or even do the more intimate Ultimate Balcony Dinner, which is served in your cabin. You have many options...it's all up to you two.;)

Unless traveling with friends, we always get a table for 2. Not having been on the Grand, I am sure someone else can address how the dining rooms are set up for tables of 2. If you choose Traditional, you will be with the same people every night. You can always opt out and switch to Anytime if that doesn't work, though you need to do that through the MD as they do check your cruise cards. However, you may have to wait for a table for 2 for anytime.

I think you can still have a great "cruise" experience if you stay with a table for 2. You can always do breakast or lunch with others. We have found people very friendly around the ship and have made many friends over the years that way.

Bottom line, it is your cruise and do what you feel you will be comfortable with. Congrats and enjoy your Honeymoon!

You might want to try Anytime Dining. Gives you the flexibility of eating when you want, and we've never had a problem getting a table for 2 with very little wait.

We were on the Grand in January and had Anytime Dining. My husband and I enjoy meeting other people, but like to dine by ourselves. We never waited for a table for two (usually arrived between 6-6:30 for dinner). We loved being able to enjoy a quiet romantic dinner each evening.

If you are assigned to Traditional Dining and are assigned a larger table you can request a table for two and if they are unable to accomodate you, they can switch you to Anytime Dining.

Or, like anyother poster mentioned, you can try sitting with the larger group and if you prefer a night or two of solitude try one of the specialty restaurant.

I don't think that you will miss out on the true "cruise experience" by not eating with others.

Whatever you choose, you will have a wonderful time. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals.

We like to have a table for two as well so that's why we did anytime dining. However, if you get there at the wrong time sometimes you will have to wait. I've seen many people here say they only have to wait about 10 minutes, but twice on our cruise last week we had to wait about 30 minutes.

One of the major reasons why I like having a table for two is that you are on your own pace. If you want to eat quickly so you can make the 8:30 show, you can ask the waiter to bring things out faster. If you're at a bigger table I believe everyone gets served at the same time. So if you, or someone else, ordered extra appetizers or entrees or whatnot, everyone ends up waiting. I don't like that.

We enjoy the experience of meeting new people and dining with others, and usually request a table for 6 or 8. We always eat at least one night in the specialty restaurants, which gives us our dining time alone.

Either way you'll enjoy it. Really just a personal preference.

Archived