2 first time cruisers

dreamsofstars

My friend and I are both going on our first cruise. We are doing a 7 day trip on Norwegian Cruise line to the bahamas. We are very excited and can not wait. But we are worried at the same time because while we are both young and poor college students, we were wondering if anyone knew how much drinks cost on NCL? we wanted to bring a bottle of rum and vodka for the two of us but we were told if we did we would not be allowed to board the ship and lose out on everything. While others say they will not search your luggage. What do you all think? and we are both of legal age I am 25 and she is 23. We are just looking to have fun.

Also, does anyone know if NCL has free internet access?? I am wanting to bring my lap top so I am able to do my college homework online and not loose attendance (such a dedicated college student i am..lol)

thank you for any help anyone can give us. It means a lot.

:)

Dreams of stars

and does anyone have a picture of room 3042 on NCL Majesty?

I haven't sailed on Norwegian, but most of the cruise lines prohibit bringing your own liquor onboard. Some allow you to bring a couple of bottles of wine, but that's about it.

That's not to say that many people don't smuggle booze on board. I personally have not heard of anyone being denied boarding, but if they find the liquor they will hold it until the end of the cruise.

Drink prices are about $5 each depending on what you drink, plus an automatic 15% gratuity. It's been my experience that the bartenders have a pretty heavy hand, so you're getting a healthy, non watered-down drink.

I don't know if internet access is free of charge on Norwegian. On the ships I have sailed on you pay by the minute, and internet access is SLLOOOWWWW. So you might be better off to plan on doing work that doesn't require internet access, then uploading info all at one - maybe at an internet cafe on the islands?

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Realize that even if you DO get your liquor onboard, you will have to stay in your room to drink it--very inconvenient. So, when you are out and about, you will STILL be purchasing drinks, so plan your budget accordingly!

make sure you check on the NCL boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

here's how it goes...your luggage gets x-rayed...both the check-in and the carry-on. if the checked-in luggage shows something that they can't ID, they will put it in the "naughty" room. you will get a notice in your cabin, you go to the "naughty" room and open your luggage. if alcohol is found, they take it from you. if it's in the original bottle, they keep it and return it the last night. if it's in another container, they dump it.

as with the carry-on, only they do it right at the x-ray machine.

NCL will not refuse you the cruise...but they will refuse you the alcohol you tried to sneak in.

somethings do get through, but if caught..don't get upset, you were warned.:D

yes, they have internet access...they sell blocks of minutes. the service is very slow...like a dial-up. you would have to ask on the NCL boards, i haven't been on that ship...on other NCL ships, they have hot spots around the main lobby, plus the computer room.

Hello:

No booze can be brought onboard without breaking the rules except Wine and Champagne...and NCL will charge a $15 Corkage fee for each bottle of wine brought onboard.

NCL has Interet Access (NO FREE ACCESS ANYWHERE ON SHIP) as follows:

Be sure to give your friends and family back home email address or you can give them your personalized Cruise-email address (located on your cruise ticket) so you can stay in touch throughout your cruise.

All our ships are equipped with 24 hour Internet Cafés hosted by MTN, and offer the following services.

Service Price Terminal usage time

$0.75 per minute

Time Package Plan:

250 minutes for $100 ($0.40 per minute)

100 minutes for $55 ($0.55 per minute)

Pay as you go $0.75 per minute

Personalized Cruise-mail™

$3.95 per email transmission (send only)

$0.99 offered in the staterooms only through the ITV television on the NCL Jewel, Pride of America and Pride of Hawaii

In Stateroom Access - currently available

on the Norwegian Sun, Pride of Aloha and

Pride of America.

Normal usage fee $0.75 per minute.

Dial up access: Diskettes for dial up network access and cable is $10 (available at reception desk - fee refundable when diskette is returned)

Wireless Internet Service for laptop usage

Time Package Plan:

250 minutes for $100 ($0.40 per minute)

100 minutes for $55 ($0.55 per minute)

Pay as you go $0.75 per minute

Wireless card - $10 per day (if required) Wireless card Insurance - $3.00 per day (optional)*

Laptop rentals

Laptop rental -- Complimentary with the purchase of a Time plan.

Laptop insurance - $3 per day

Access to printers

$0.50 per page

Hope this helps.

Happy Cruising!!!! :D

My friend and I are both going on our first cruise. We are doing a 7 day trip on Norwegian Cruise line to the bahamas. We are very excited and can not wait. But we are worried at the same time because while we are both young and poor college students, we were wondering if anyone knew how much drinks cost on NCL? we wanted to bring a bottle of rum and vodka for the two of us but we were told if we did we would not be allowed to board the ship and lose out on everything. While others say they will not search your luggage. What do you all think? and we are both of legal age I am 25 and she is 23. We are just looking to have fun.

Read the tips and hints re carrying liquor on. If you are caught, you won't "lose out on everything"...whatever that means. You'll lose the booze. That's it. Not a big deal. But a chance you will be taking. You are a young couple which will draw attention from security. 50-50 chance of being stopped I'd say. No one here can tell you for sure what will happen. You need to make the decision.

In the meantime, maybe for Xmas or birthday gifts, you could ask for a "gift" from your family of an on -board credit for your cruise. Then it could be used towards tips, drinks, ship excursions or whatever you choose.

Another option is to do some drinking at the ports. There usually is a Party Boat excursion that includes all the rum punch you can drink. ;) Of course, looking at the people that choose that "tour" when they return, you might miss out on an evening while you sleep it off!:eek:

Have fun planning.

I haven't sailed on Norwegian, but most of the cruise lines prohibit bringing your own liquor onboard. Some allow you to bring a couple of bottles of wine, but that's about it.

That's not to say that many people don't smuggle booze on board. I personally have not heard of anyone being denied boarding, but if they find the liquor they will hold it until the end of the cruise.

Drink prices are about $5 each depending on what you drink, plus an automatic 15% gratuity. It's been my experience that the bartenders have a pretty heavy hand, so you're getting a healthy, non watered-down drink.

I don't know if internet access is free of charge on Norwegian. On the ships I have sailed on you pay by the minute, and internet access is SLLOOOWWWW. So you might be better off to plan on doing work that doesn't require internet access, then uploading info all at one - maybe at an internet cafe on the islands?

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

You mentioned internet cafe's...have you ever been to freeport bahamas or Nassau Bahamas? If so do they have internet cafe's? Thank you.

:)

Archived