Puerto Quetzal Safety

doowopbob

We are 3 adults doing a Panama Canal Cruise on HAL in Oct. On our stop in Puerto Quetzal we want to take a tour to Antiqua. This tour is a "on your own tour". The ship takes you and picks you up, otherwise your are on your own. My wife and I don't have a problem with this, but our friend seems to think this would be unsafe. Could anyone who has recently been to Puerto Quetzal and Antiqua please give us your opinion on whether or not you felt safe so we can convince our friend that she will not be "kidnapped when she steps off the bus in Antiqua.

Thanks

DH and I were there in February. This was one of our favourite ports. We hooked up with another couple we had met and all four of us rented a minivan right from the port area (worth every penny). Our guide was fabulous, spoke excellent english and took us all over Antigua. We learnt and saw so much more going with a guide rather than on our own. We asked him to take us to a very typical local restaurant for lunch, which he did and we had an amazing meal. The drive is very scenic and we thought Antigua beautiful. Enjoy!! We never ever felt unsafe and we hope to revisit one day.

When you get off the ship you are all bused a few minutes to a main central area that had some music playing and quite a few stalls selling local crafts. If you walk through this area towards the exits you will find all the tour buses waiting. I say buses but they were mainly minivans and cars. We got off the ship as soon as we were allowed and headed straight for the tours. There is one main company there, all of whom wear white t-shirts. Can't think of the name but will try to remember. The other couple along with my DH and I opted to take a minivan with just the four of us. We didn't want to be squished in and also thought we'd enjoy the day better. If memory serves me right we paid just under $200 for the day in total. I'll try to confirm this with the other couple for you. It would definately have been cheaper to take a car, or go with more people in our van but we still thought that the price was well worth it especially considering that we split the price between two couples. Our guide was so knowledgeable and gave us a running commentary until we got to Antigua. They stopped so we could take photos and were eager to make sure we enjoyed the day. The guide and driver ran us all over Antigua and went back to the jade factory for me so I could buy something I had seen earlier. We got back to the ship late afternoon. I'll check my photos to see what restaurant we went to. Very good and very authentic. It was a full day and as I said, probably one of our favourite ports. On a side note, we bought a beautiful quilt once we got back to the port. We had seen several in Antigua but not being able to make our mind up we hadn't bought any. As we were going back to the ship we saw one. I think we got it for about 1/4 of the original price. I guess the vendors know that the ship is leaving and its now or never so he just kept dropping his price. I'll check out the price of the tour and will post again.

Hello...

I'm so glad that DebsUK posted about her great experience in Guatemala.

I've traveled a lot and in my opinion it's one of the most under-rated travel destinations on earth. I agree that Antigua is amazing...for atmosphere, architecture, dining, and for some of the best shopping in Guatemala (if you're not going directly into the villages).

I would suggest, for those who go, that you plan your trip to utilize all of the time you have available as you could spend several days there and not get enough.

I've been throughout Guatemala on land trips and stopped near Rio Dulce on Azamara last year....wonderful!

A bit off topic, but I'm just curious why more cruise ships are not stopping in some of the Central American countries. Anyone out there know? Our Panama Canal cruise left from Acapulco, stopped in Huatulco, Mexico and then we had a stop for Nicaragua, west and eastern Costa Rica, Panama, San Andres Island and Guatemala. We then had one stop in Playa del Carmen and ended in Miami.

I've recommended this trip to friends and they've told me that the Canal cruise has been very diluted with minimum time in Central America. What a shame.

Anyway, enjoy Antigua. It's a little jewel.

Happy sailing.

murphysmum;)

It does sound like a great day and alot of fun.

Our problem has been taking private tours when the travel time is a ways from and back to the ship. We have been successful doing that but 2 near-misses cured our adventurous soul.

So we have gone on ship's excursons. But this does sound very good and the price is good, too,

Thanks, MaryAnn

MaryAnn, I checked with my travel mates and we all remember it to be around the $40 - $50 per person rate....I have the number of $160 in my head for the whole trip, which would agree with our friend who recalls it as $40 each. As for not getting back on time......we told the driver what time we wanted to leave Antigua and he and our guide made sure we did leave right on time. We easily got back with time left to shop at the port. Either way should you choose to go with a boat tour or an independant you will have a fabulous time. Enjoy your cruise.

We also used the agency at the port. They are very organized. They keep a list of passengers by name along with the vehicle number and the guide's name. Also, the guides have cell phones and are in contact with the "base station" at the port. There is no haggling over price. A list of tours and prices is posted. :)

Archived