Florence/Accademia Museum

Does anyone know how much walking is involved when visiting the Accademia Museum in Florence? We have signed up for the ship tour in this port which includes "Historical Florence" as well as the museum. This is an all-day tour which takes in the highlights of Florence, the museum, & a lunch. It is an all-day tour.We are unsure of whether to cancel as my husband has some difficulty walking long distances. Any info would be appreciated.

Does anyone know how much walking is involved when visiting the Accademia Museum in Florence? We have signed up for the ship tour in this port which includes "Historical Florence" as well as the museum. This is an all-day tour which takes in the highlights of Florence, the museum, & a lunch. It is an all-day tour.We are unsure of whether to cancel as my husband has some difficulty walking long distances. Any info would be appreciated.

The Accademia is not that big. We took the train to Florence, and were in the Accademia after a 20 minute wait. The ships tours were arriving as we left. I don't know what else your tour will include, but the museum will be easy.

If you are taking a ship excursion, be aware that most of them require a lot of walking because large buses are not allowed inside the historic area of Florence. Usually the buses will drop you off in a designated area and you will walk into the center (and back at the end of the day). As well, it sounds like you will have quite a bit of walking around the city if you are seeing the historical highlights. I'd worry less about the museum in particular but more about the total trip.

There are no tour buses (or cars for that matter) allowed into central Florence, you will have a lot of walking to do. We did a similar tour in June and basically walked for about 4-5 hours. The tour description should tell you if there is lots of walking involved. Plus the streets and sidewalks in Europe are mostly cobblestone and can be difficult for people with limited mobility.

Could anyone tell me how far the walk would be to Academia Museum from the central square in historical Florence?

A group of us are doing "transportation only" from the ship. You are dropped in central Florence. A couple in the group have not seen "David" at the Academia. They are trying to make a reservation for David. Is it close to say the leather market?

Thanks,

Nancy

It has been a few years since I have been to Florence but I believe it is about a 10-15 minute walk to the Academy from the Duomo area (due north). I am going back in October and have the same issue with my mother. Although she can get around, she does get tired and has to sit occasionally. We will be carrying a camping stool in a backpack for just that reason. She got hers at REI. We did arrange for a private tour but she will have to do walking as the others posted, cars cannot get in the main center.

What did the cruise tour say as far as difficulty? If you want to do this, I would speak to the guide and when you have to stop and sit, find out where they are headed and catch up. Another thought is that you could do a "Florence on your own" type which includes transportation to the city but you have approx 6 hours on your own to do what you want.

Florence is a beautiful city and realize you won't be able to do it all and will just have to get back some day.

Enjoy

Could anyone tell me how far the walk would be to Academia Museum from the central square in historical Florence?

A group of us are doing "transportation only" from the ship. You are dropped in central Florence. A couple in the group have not seen "David" at the Academia. They are trying to make a reservation for David. Is it close to say the leather market?

Thanks,

Nancy

I do think it is pretty close to the leather market. And as noted, the Accademia is a very small museum.

Florence is very compact an walkable compared to say Rome or Paris, but you will know your own limitations. I think someone even walking slowly will be able to get around and see several things.

If it helps...we noticed this because my father was having knee surgery the day we returned from Italy.

There are seats everywhere at the Accademia--particularly in areas where the tours go. (David, for instance, is surrounded by them, practically)

The tour we were on did not take long...nor did it take us far...it sounds like yours would be the same--although I cannot confirm.

What I can confirm is--not much distance to cover--and lots of seats available.

Also, my father walked with us through Florence--we took taxis just a couple of times, because we didn't quite know where we were heading...but it is much much more easily walked than Rome, for instance.

All of central Florence is not "car free." Yes, the street running from the Duomo to the Signoria Square is -- and the Ponte Vecchio -- you can still hail a cab to many places, including the Accademia. In fact, the street just beside the Duomo allows cars, taxis, and busses. Additionally, a taxi can drop you off on one side of the Ponte Vecchio and pick you up on the other side. I have been there many times and have used such transport.

The Accademia is a camparatively small museum, and unless you MUST see the original David, it may not impress you at all.

The historical center of Florence has limited traffic (ZTL...with a few areas that are traffic free, as mentioned). Group tour busses generally let people off along the Arno river, and other spots...It will be difficult for you to consider the replies, as none of us actually know how much is too long of a walk (but true, one also has to walk back to the bus....or take a taxi - good idea to keep in mind, as a taxi can enter a ZTL!). It would be a longer walk to the 'center' (Duomo/Palazzo Vecchio/Uffizi) from the central train station (Santa Maria Novella). Being an old city - blocks are shorter, but...

...there is a copy of the David near Palazzo Vecchio, where the original once stood. Would it be possible for those who are tired to wait while others venture over to the Accademy (where the original is, which actually it's not that far)? One must also consider how tired people are from the day before.

We did a private tour in Florence when we wre there before and in the vans they dropped us right in front of the Academia Museum and they waited close by and then took us to the next point it was wonderful. We are going again on RCCL Legend Oct. 30 and have a group of 44, we are doing the private tours again using www.romeinlimo.com If you do the ship tour the buses are not allowed into the city center and you then have a distance to walk. I hope this helps.

Archived