Scuba blues

Hilary

See, you're much braver than I. We live south of Puget Sound, but absolutely hate all the gearing up and the amount of bulk we have to have in order to dive in the Puget Sound. For my DH and I, the gearing up takes all the enjoyment out of diving and we find it to be a huge chore rather than a relaxing activity.

Hilary, I envy your ability to hit the tropics twice a year but, even if we could dive Latitude 20 twice a year, I think we'd still dive the Sound. It really is an awesome place. Granted, the hard coral is limited and the fish less colorful but there's nothing in the topics to compare to our anemones, sea stars and large life. A kelp forest dive with resident wolf-eels, octopi, sea lions, etc. is something that can't be replicated at latitude 20.

Yeah, the gear sucks (did I mention I HATE the hood?) but we just kind of accept that we'll be really crabby while gearing up. Once you're in the water, it doesn't weigh anything. I wouldn't recommend buying a whole new set of gear but, if you've got it, I'd suggest giving the Pacific Northwest another chance!

Kathi

We also have a cruise booked in May to Tahiti and Hawaii. Any recommendations for diving there? We're going to Papeete, Bora, Bora, Moorea, Hilo, Kauai, Maui and Oahu.

In Bora Bora, you have to dive Tapu and Toopua--the best dives we've done anywhere (and Leo's dived most of the world)! We'd recommending skipping the ray dives in Tahiti--if there aren't any rays, it's just a swim over a sandbar.

Kathi & Leo

Bruce and Hilary - Those wonderful dive superstores with big selection and low prices start in Orlando, about 2 hours south of me. I'm way up here in (nowhere) North Florida where most of the dive shops are basically air stations with ordering ability. Unfortunately, I don't have a weekend to go down and do some serious looking between now and then. Maybe if I see something while we're on one of the islands... that's my style of shopping!

Hilary - Thanks for the tip on Blue Island Divers for St. Thomas - I E-mailed them (and one other) about our stop there. Got a stock answer, though, so am still cogitating.

Dive Barbados has been booked for our stop there on Thanksgiving.

One stop left to do - Grenada!

Wendy

Wendy: I booked a dive in St. Thomas for Dec. with Pantagon Dive Center located at the Ritz Carlton. Arnoldo there was highly recommended to me by a friend, but I have never gone diving with him myself. The only problem with that dive center is that you have to take a taxi to get there, but Arnoldo told me we're welcome to stay at the hotel after diving and use the facilities there. The two tank dive runs about $90 and they leave at 9:30 a.m. If you want the phone number, let me know.

Marly

Hilary - Thanks for the tip on Blue Island Divers for St. Thomas - I E-mailed them (and one other) about our stop there. Got a stock answer, though, so am still cogitating.

I guess because I specifically asked about Christmas Day diving, they did a personal response, instead of a generic one. The biggest thing for me about diving with them is that they offer Nitrox (even though I won't be using it) and that they pick up at the cruise pier. I don't have to worry about transportation, and to me by offering Technical diving courses, rebreathers, and Nitrox they are more than just a casual resort dive operation. We'll see though, right?

Wow, shriek and gasp in 72 degree water. We never see it that warm up here in Michigan. I guess you get used to cold water. When diving in Hawaii in February 2004 the water temp was about 75-76 and I wore a 3mil shorty, no hood no gloves, and I was plenty warm. When we go to Tahiti and Hawaii next year I'm taking my new 3mil Xcel. It's a full suit but I think it will better protect me from any bumps and abrasions. I received a nice scrape from coral last time and I hope to prevent a repeat. I hope I'm not too warm.

I also use a weight integrated Seaquest BC. I tried a weight belt but after having it fall off a couple of times I changed over. I never lost a belt because I always caught it at my knees, but putting it back on underwater is a pain in the whazoo. Like most men, I don't have any hips so the belt just slides off.

I did learn a valuable lesson about weight integrated though, and that's to make sure you have all your weight in place before diving. I sounds so simple, but mistakes can be made.

In Hawaii our boat was somewhat crowded, so I sat on the bench in front of my BC and tank, which were already connected. To make more room for others around me I folded the sides of the BC to overlap and I leaned against them. When we got close to the dive site I decided to add the weights. While still sitting, I reached down to the right and added the weight to the right side of the BC. I then stood up, turned around and went to the left side to add weight there. However, I was surprised to see there was weight already in that side and I assumed I had forgotten to take the weight out from the previous day's dive. We eventually got in the water and did an 80 foot dive on a wreck, but I had trouble going down. I couldn't figure out why but eventually made it down with the assistance of the mooring line. My dive posture sucked as I continued to struggle. I made a pass down one side of the wreck and knew I was using too much air. As I rounded the wreck I hit a current straight on and was now fighting to stay down along with swimming into the current. I made it back to the mooring line and signaled the DM that I was going up. I was using huge amounts of air and knew I couldn't stay.

On the surface I rechecked my weights and found NO weight in the right side, yet that was the one I filled first. The weight pocket was still in place, but empty. Then I figured it out. When I folded over the sides of the BC before sitting down, I folded the left side over the right side. When I added weight to the right side it was really the left side because that was the one that was exposed. When I stood up and found weight already in the left side, I never checked to right side to be sure it was full. Afterall, I was sure I had just put the weights in that side just moments before.

Lesson learned; check and double check. Don't assume anything.

Anyone else have the scuba blues?

I'm not sure where you live, but if your area has a large public aquarium, you may consider being a volunteer.

New Orleans has the Aquarium of the Americas. I am a volunteer diver there. I dive every Wednesday afternoon in the Caribbean exhibit and have been doing that for five years. Nothing better than diving once a week in perfectly clear water and only using 1000 psi on a 90 minute dive.

I too wore a 3mil shorty in Hawaii without a hood, etc. and was comfortable for all my dives. However, since our last trip there, we've bought some nice Henderson Hyperstretch 3mil full suits, so I'll be wearing a full suit next year in Maui.

I have an old SeaQuest Diva (the original) without weight integration so use the weight belts with the pockets instead of having to thread weights. As a female, I have hips, so there's no issue with keeping it on. I like the weight belt pockets as I can put 2 weights and front and 2 in the rear, which works very well for me for bouyancy and balance in the water. My DH, on the other hand, has a SeaQuest Pro QD+ with the weight integration and loves it.

Another caution on weight integration is to make sure your weights are security fastened in the pockets. I've known too many divers who lose their weight pockets, can't find them, and have to replace the pocket to the tune of $30 or more. Yikes, that's an expensive lesson to learn.

Unfortunately, where I live the closest public aquarium is 2 hours away on the Oregon coast. They only have cold water exhibits, so the only advantage to diving there vs. the Puget Sound is visibility. They converted Keiko's old tank into a really cool exhibit, but the water is too dang cold for my bones! <ha ha ha> Thanks for the suggestion though, it's an excellent one!

Hilary-

I did the booking form for BID last night, and found an E-mail waiting for me tonight because I put in the wrong date. Senior moments are getting a little too common.

Thanks for the tip I could glom on to!

Got any suggestions for Dominica? Just found out this afternoon that we're skipping Grenada and going there.

10X -

That's TRULY COLD water up there. On the west coast of Florida, you can almost guarantee that the people swimming on the beach in winter are from Michigan.

Love the weight story! During our check-out dive last week, my weight belt decided to take a trip down my rump, adding to the fun of the untightened fin strap, and the batteries in my light giving off a cheery yellow-tinted glow as they started to lose power at 90 feet in the bottom of the cavern.

It's amazing how humbling diving can be sometimes.

Wendy

Wendy, I haven't been into the Southern Caribbean yet (that's my 2005 cruise), so haven't a clue about Dominica. Try the Scuba Board and see if anyone has any recommendations for a good dive op. Depending on your time in port, diving with the ship may be your best option, but checking it out first on your own is never a waste of time IMO! Good luck, let me know what you come up with, all going well, we'll be going to Dominica next year on our Princess cruise.

Where else are you going?

I did dive St. Martin's a couple of years ago on a shore excursion while cruising with Disney. Five foot swells, underwater surge, got sick, and it wasn't pretty (Although I still wonder how the fish rated my Disney breakfast).

Visibility was nice.

I'd do the dives again, although I'd hope for calmer water.

You know, I haven't heard much good about diving in St. Martin. It seems that because the dives are beyond the reef that swells and surge are the norm. Sorry, but 5 foot swells aren't my idea of fun diving conditions.

Guess I'll stick to playing on the beach and renting a jet ski in Orient Beach instead. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My husband and I are recently certified divers and will be doing most of our diving in Michigan. We spend alot of time in the Upper Peninsula and plan to dive Lake Superior. Last year when we were on the beach in the UP, there were children playing in the water in bathing suits and Parkas!!!

so Wendy, YUP, Michiganders are a wee bit twisted.

I just finished my open water dives at Vortex Springs in Ponce de Leon Florida and wore a 3mil shorty in balmy 69 degree water. Never a moment of discomfort did I suffer. I had a full suit and hood and chose not to wear them.

We also live about 10 minutes from Higgins Lake here in Northern Michigan where there is great visibility and pretty good diving overall, I understand. So we will be having lots of opportunities to improve our diving. In March we are going on the Mariner of the Seas to Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Martin. I guess we are booking a ship excursion to dive in Nassau as the timing (8am-2pm) does not really allow for any other choice. However, as a new diver, I am apprehensive about a big cattle boat. In St. Thomas, I want to do a beach dive at Coki Beach. I am torn about diving in St. Martin. I have only read one good review. Was looking at the Lord Sheffield excursion. Wouldn't mind "not great" diving, but am not thrilled about the prospect of 5-7 foot swells either.

Islands around Komodo, East of Bali in Indonesia is incredible. The color! The variety! Many liveaboard ships leave from Bali. Trip takes from a week to ten days. Water is warm, and you do nothing but dive, oh and go see Komodo dragons for one day. The only down side is that after you experience Indonesia, Hawaii or Carribean just don't cut it. Cost isn't that much more than a week cruise. Try it.

Although I've never had the chance to dive Lake Superior, I'm very familiar with it since I lived in the Upper Peninsula (UP) for a couple of years. When the water is warm, usually in August, the top 6" will have a temp of about 44 degrees (if we have a warm summer). As you go down it begins to get cold after that.

In the dead of summer, after about 20-30 minutes in the water, you will begin to turn blue, so it's always best to frolick in water you can stand in so you can make it back to shore when you begin to get cold.

After moving to the Lower Peninsula, I used to take fishing trips back to the UP during the summer. The place we stayed at had a suana right on the shore of Lake Superior. We used to sauna then run bare a** naked across the beach and jump into the 40 degree water. After a sauna in the winter you just jump into the snow.

The UP also has its own "snow god", Heiki Lunta. When the snow is in short supply you sing and pray to Heiki Lunta to do his snow dance. When he does, the snows will come. Heiki Lunta is said to inhabit the small town of Tapiola, not far from Houghton/Hancock in our Keweenaw Peninsula. That's the small strip of land that juts out into Lake Superior from the north shore of Michigan (if you want to check a map).

Like kalthalinamarie said, we "Michiganders are a wee bit twisted."

I did return safely from my January 14th cruise on the Carnival Destiny out of Aruba. I spent several days before my sailing in Aruba, usually diving with Unique Sports of Aruba, and it was very nice not to have to worry about outgassing before departure.

In Saint Thomas, I dove with Blue Island divers instead of opting for one of the ship's tours. Carnival offered only one-tank dives as part of their official excursions--and St. Thomas is a two tank, two dive destination if I ever saw one.

In Dominica I did opt for the Carnival-sponsored shore excursion. Idid get in two dives and I enjoyed them both l'Abyme and the Coral Gardens very much. Our dive boat may have missed the humpbacks and sperm whales, but we did see a pod of pilot whales on our way back to the ship's pier.

I did not dive in Barbados. Not that I have anything against diving there, but because I wanted to see some of the topside scenery.

--E. Lee DeGolyer

10X-

Water of 44 degrees!?!

It's about that outside right now and I'm freezing my a&& off with Polartec on and the heat cranked up to max. We're supposed to get a hard freeze tonight, so I guess my hibiscus will die back again (drat).

The only thing keeping me warm at this point is booking dives for our Splendour cruise in April. 3 down (Belize, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman), one to go (Cozumel).

Wendy

next up

Splendour of the Seas April 23

Wendy,

Living in Florida is making you soft. We had about 12"-13" of snow here on Saturday with high winds so I waited until Sunday to plow the snow from the drive (200 feet long). It was -10 degrees F when I got up and -4 when I went out to plow. I would have welcomed 44 degrees.

That being said, we only vacation in the winter now that the kids are grown. We want to be soft too.

Denny

I am new to scuba. Just received my certificate in Oct. We are going on a Mexican Riveria cruise in April and would like some advise from the experts. I plan on diving in Ixtapa and Cabo San Lucas. Does anyone know about these sites?

Since I have only done lake dives, what should I look forward to as far as currents go? Will it take a lot more effort with the currents or does it really not change anything?

I have been told by some other divers that they recommend taking the ship dives rather than on my own, because of departure times of the cruise. Any thoughts:

I am wide open to advise as I look forward to a new and wonderful experience. Who says at the age of 58 you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks in advance: Dan

Archived