Scuba blues

Hilary

Haven't gone diving since our trip to Key Largo in July, and now have just under 2 months until our Caribbean cruise. I was watching Deep Sea Detectives last night on the History Channel and got an almost painful urge to go dive, and realized how much I miss it.

In thinking about our upcoming cruise and the dive choices we've made, I am glad that we added a dive in Key West, even if it isn't going to be as good of diving as Key Largo was. It may be a huge let down after diving the RMS Rhone just a couple of days before, but being underwater and wet will be worth it, regardless of whether the scenery is wonderful or not.

Originally we planned only 3 dives of our 6 ports, but now we're doing 4 dives (Bahamas, St. Thomas, Tortola, and Key West) and considering my growing desire to dive, it's looking more and more like a great choice.

Anyone else have the scuba blues?

It's been about 2 months for me as well, and about 10 months since doing any saltwater diving. We 're getting ready for a 10 day cruise to Tahiti on the Tahitian Princess, followed by 8 days in Hawaii, and thinking about that makes me want to go even more. I'm filling the time by working on my underwater photography skills; practicing manual mode shooting, memorizing control functions, etc. Of course, this only makes things worse.

I Can't believe my husband and I were in Nassau on Saturday and we were diving with Nassau Scuba Center through the Explorer of the Seas- and it seems like a lifetime ago. We have pictures that we have edited and re-edited, over 200 underwater photos... Bruce, you think scuba-diving forum (on the "other dive website" would want to see them?) Ha Ha...

We did 6 dives last week- 2 in Belize with Aqua Dives, 2 in Coz with Sand Dollar, and the last 2 with Nassau Scuba Center...

Our equipment is rinsed and drying in the basement- We are ready to go again. Hopefullly, the pictures will get us through the winter.... Jane and Bob

Just a boring one, though.

Keith bought a new BC & 2 new masks, and we're going to get the new stuff wet in Blue Grotto spring on Friday.

Does a gear checkout dive count?

Zenith is coming Nov 21...booked thru ship for St. Kitts, working on Barbados and St. Thomas.

Wendy

Crockett, how did you like Nassau Dive Centre?? We're booked with them for our upcoming cruise. What kind of dives did you do? They told me that it could be either a wall, wreck, or reef for the 2 dives. What did your dive profiles look like? Details, details!! <ha ha ha> If I can't dive, I might as well live vicariously through you. ;-)

Anyone else have the scuba blues?

Well ... the Blue Water Scuba Blues ..... we dive the local mud puddle almost every weekend - 10 ft vis on a good day, but at least it's water!! Don't hit blue water again till 11/23 in Costa Maya,MX .... I can't wait!!!:)

KaC-Cruiser...I should have said the "Warm Water Diving Blues" then! <ha ha ha> If I weren't such a wimp, I'd do more diving locally in the COLD water, but just can't bring myself to do it with visibility like your local mud puddle. ;-) After diving in Florida and Hawaii in the past year, I just can't bring myself to either don a dry suit or a bulky wet suit and freeze my tutu's off. <sigh> Oh well, less than 60 days to the Caribbean, then we'll get 4 charters in on 4 different islands. Nothing like cruise ship diving, eh??

Like Hilary, I don't get much of a kick out local diving anymore either. However, I do it just to get underwater. I don't mind the cold, but visibility is bad and depth is minimal. After doing bluewater, it's tough to get exicted to enter a mudpuddle. I did just heard of a lake with 30 minutes drive that has 80' so I'll be checking it out.

Bruce, although I won't give up my seat for the upcoming trip, we'd be glad to have you along. We have a group of 22 for the Tahitian Princess, and several of us are divers. All it takes is time and money - something we all have a lot of. LOL

Denny

Denny, you'll love Tahiti for diving. Not quite as good as Palau or Thailand (according to Leo) but it's worlds better than the Carribean. We did the Tahitian Princess in its maiden year as a Princess ship and had a wonderful time. I think there's a link to our pictures somewhere deep on this board (if it made the transition to the new platform).

We miss latitude 20 diving also--it will be nearly two years between Tahiti and our Panama trip. Of course, we're spoiled with awesome Puget Sound diving in our backyard (almost literally). But it's so nice not to be wearing a 7 mil suit, 30 lbs. of weight in your BC and the d--- hood (HATE the hood).

But, really, we should all be grateful that, while we may not be able to do it as often as we'd like, we do all have the time, finances and physical ability to cruise and dive. Many (maybe most) people are not so lucky.

So here's to getting wet where ever it may be!

Kathi & Leo

We miss latitude 20 diving also--it will be nearly two years between Tahiti and our Panama trip. Of course, we're spoiled with awesome Puget Sound diving in our backyard (almost literally). But it's so nice not to be wearing a 7 mil suit, 30 lbs. of weight in your BC and the d--- hood (HATE the hood).

See, you're much braver than I. We live south of Puget Sound, but absolutely hate all the gearing up and the amount of bulk we have to have in order to dive in the Puget Sound. For my DH and I, the gearing up takes all the enjoyment out of diving and we find it to be a huge chore rather than a relaxing activity.

Unfortunately, that choice makes us "vacation divers" only, which stinks, but at least we can afford to vacation near the equator twice a year and manage 6-12 dives each time. I have to admit that when I retire, I'd love to live in the Keys 6 months out of the year so I can dive as much as I want....

I live, and learned to dive, in southeastern Virginia. Relatively cold water, variable visability, and generally at least an hours boat ride to get anywhere. Then when I went to visit my mother in Florida I brought my gear with me and went diving in Pennecamp and also slightly south of W. Palm Beach. That spoiled me. Now I've also become a vacation diver. Last time was a year and a half ago in Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

My next cruise is only nine days away. We're visiting 5 islands. However, DW doesn't dive, so I'm limited myself to diving on only two islands, but we'll get some snorkel time on one or two others.

Luckily we have another cruise booked less than 5 months after returning. This will be a family trip, with my brother, parents and our daughters. So I won't feel as bad if I do some more diving.

One day I'd like to move to an area where I could do more warm water diving.

You're still diving a wet suit in the Sound? For me, dry is the only way I can dive there. I did 4 dives in the Hood Canal in a 7mm farmer john and I'll bet you could guess which dives the were.

7 mil or dry is about the only way you can do the Great Lakes. At depth the water might drop to 45 degrees. In Lake Superior, that might be the surface temp. I'm not dry certified yet, but fortunately I don't chill easily. I have more "fuel" on board than I'd like, but it helps keep me warm.

Denny

Reading all that talk about 7 mils and drysuits made me so cold I had to go make myself a cup of hot tea. Fall is finally here in sunny FL - it's cooler outside than inside in the evenings (68 on the porch right now).

Anyway, we went to Blue Grotto spring yesterday for our gear checkout, and I froze my a&& off on the first dive. Luckily, we had the place to ourselves, so no one else had to listen to me gasp, pant and shriek as that 72 degree water worked it's way up my wetsuit. I guess cold water is all in the perspective! I wear my 2 mil all summer long in South Florida, and usually won't get in anything colder than 82 or so.

The best parts of the dive was that Keith loves his new BC and masks, and I discovered a nasty leaking hole in the inflator hose of my POS BC, so I can start looking for another one. I guess I will have to move with the times and go integrated.

Unfortunately, it kind of puts me in a quandary for our trip - should I haul an ill-fitting, leaking POS BC, or should I dig out old faithful and add yet another set of extenders?

Decisions, decisions, and only 30 days to make them...

Wendy

Have any of you dove in St. Maarten? I've read some mixed reviews on diving there and I hate spending a lot of money on a bad dive.

We also have a cruise booked in May to Tahiti and Hawaii. Any recommendations for diving there? We're going to Papeete, Bora, Bora, Moorea, Hilo, Kauai, Maui and Oahu.

W&K: I'm with you on the 82 temp, only my rule is 83!

Marly

I haven't done any diving in Tahiti, but have dived in Maui some....we have a timeshare and go every year. ;-) My recommendation for Maui would be to either dive Molokini or the Cathedrals at Lanai. Depending on your itinerary, you may have to book with the ship because of port times, which will severely limit your choices, so Molokini may be your only option since the Lanai charters typically depart earlier. Also, expect the water to be around 74 degrees in Hawaiian waters, so take your 3mil!

We haven't dove in St. Maarten, but after reading enough marginal reviews, we decided to save our money and spend the day on Orient Beach instead. Since we're already diving the Bahamas, St. Thomas, the Rhone, and Key West, not diving in St. Maarten wasn't much of a sacrifice. ;-)

Wendy, why don't you just go buy a new BC? If your old one is a POS and you're considering a new one anyway, go hit one of those great scuba superstores you have in S. Florida and get yourself a shiny new one! <ha ha ha> As far as going integrated, I'd prefer not to move with the times, and when I have to replace my BC, I'll likely go with a BP/wing setup. I like my original SeaQuest Diva with no weight integration and no do-dads. I much prefer my weight belt (with weight pockets) so I can wear the weight lower on my hips and have the weight disributed more evenly front/back. I also hate the bulkiness of the new BC's, so I'll be sticking with my "antique" for awhile.

Actually, I'll never forget the look on a friend's face when she bought a new Diva LX and saw my "antique" soon after. She knew I had a Diva, but didn't realize how different the original was from the new ones and I literally laughed at the look on her face. She was horrified at the basic-ness of my set up, whereas I about fell over when I saw hers. She's one of those people that loves all the gadgets, the knife attached to her arm, every D ring used, and the pockets full of crap. I prefer to dive using the KISS principle, but had a great time tormenting her by asking why she didn't have a safety sausage. <LOL>

Hilary-

Actually, Keith bought his new BC at one of the superstores in Orlando, and we tried to find something for me while we were there, with no success.

I'm a larger lady, extremely short-waisted, and let's just say that the salesman was sweating heavily and turning three shades of red trying to fit a BC around my chest area. Large and lady is a combination not yet exploited by diving equipment - but I'm hoping that will change soon!

Old faithful is a vintage M/L SeaQuest Spectrum III with the high cummerbund, which is an awesome combination for me. Of course, the cummerbund hasn't actually closed for a few years, and it's got a set of extenders in the front, but it still is the best BC I've ever used. The current POS is an old Dacor Enduro that was laying around our local shop, and it spends most of it's time trying to slide over the top of my head.

I'm thinking about integrated so whatever I buy will actually stay down instead of leaving me hanging by my armpits on the surface. Either that or go for a backpack and wing style, which is not really thrilling either.

Who are you diving with in St. Thomas? I'm just getting ready to send out a couple of E-mail inquiries.

Wendy

.... so no one else had to listen to me gasp, pant and shriek as that 72 degree water worked it's way up my wetsuit.

That would have been a delightful water temp, in my drysuit, and you could be sure that at 72 I would have had it on. I have a hard time below 80 in a 3 mm full suit. That is when I get out my hood.

I guess cold water is all in the perspective!

You sure have that right.

Unfortunately, it kind of puts me in a quandary for our trip - should I haul an ill-fitting, leaking POS BC, or should I dig out old faithful and add yet another set of extenders?

Wendy

There is another choice. You could rent the BC and take it with you. Try to made a deal with the dive shop to not charge you for the rental if you end up buying a BC from them.

Have any of you dove in St. Maarten? I've read some mixed reviews on diving there and I hate spending a lot of money on a bad dive.

I have dived there while on a cruise. It was in 2000, but I don't think that the dive site conditions will have changes. The diving there is very dependent on the surface conditions of the ocean since all the dive sites are out in the open ocean. There was a 5-7 ft swell when I went, 2 divers didn't make the first dive (they fed the fish instead), the vis was terrible, and there was a strong surge even at 55 ft. I wouldn't dive there again unless the ocean was dead flat calm, and even then I wouldn't expect much. I would have been better off going to Orient Beach with the rest of the family that day.

Thanks for confirming what I thought about St. Maarten diving. We usually rent our gear from the dive shop we're going with rather than lug all that stuff along. We find our cabin gets a little fishy smelling by the end of the week when we bring our own!

I have an integrated BC with wings (back inflated). I wouldn't recommend it. I'd like to trade mine in fact. The fact that it inflates in the back pushes you forward. If you ever have a problem you will be face down in the water.

Old faithful is a vintage M/L SeaQuest Spectrum III with the high cummerbund, which is an awesome combination for me. Of course, the cummerbund hasn't actually closed for a few years, and it's got a set of extenders in the front, but it still is the best BC I've ever used. The current POS is an old Dacor Enduro that was laying around our local shop, and it spends most of it's time trying to slide over the top of my head.

I'm thinking about integrated so whatever I buy will actually stay down instead of leaving me hanging by my armpits on the surface. Either that or go for a backpack and wing style, which is not really thrilling either.

Who are you diving with in St. Thomas? I'm just getting ready to send out a couple of E-mail inquiries.

Wendy

Wow Wendy, what a quandry you're in! If your old faithful BC still fits and works, they why not just keep diving with it until you find something better? Unfortunately, even BCs that are supposedly designed for women, don't seem to get the concept that we have BOOBS! <LOL> That's why I love my "antique" SeaQuest Diva...there's no chest tie and the cumberbun works really well to keep it in place. The integrated option sure sounds like it would be great for you so you don't have to worry about your BC riding up anymore.

In regards to diving in St. Thomas, we're booked with Blue Island Divers. They pick you up at the cruise dock on the dive boat and take you back to the same place (unless you want to go to their shop and go into town). I've heard good things about them, and definitely wanted to book privately instead of going through the ship in St. Thomas. When I spoke with them I told them we really wanted to do a wreck dive since St. Thomas has some decent wrecks, and they said that'll be no problem at all. We're in St. Thomas on Christmas Day as well, and they booked us with not even a blink.

I'm planning to post a review of the dive ops and dives we're doing on this cruise for everyone, but that won't be until January.

You're still diving a wet suit in the Sound? For me, dry is the only way I can dive there. I did 4 dives in the Hood Canal in a 7mm farmer john and I'll bet you could guess which dives the were.

Let's see--Sund Rock, Octopus Hole and I'll let you fill in the other two. Bet you stayed at Mike's Beach Resort!

We do dive wet in all seasons up to 70-80 ft. in the Sound, although most of our buddies dive dry. Three reasons:

1. Purchase price of two drysuits is the cost of a cruise! With two kids in college and a major travel habit, we cut corners everywhere else (Leo's wetsuit is >15 years old!).

2. Kathi's reason is we're moving to Latitute 20 any year now so why would we need drysuits?!?

3. Leo's reason is he drinks too much beer for a dry suit (as you've mentioned before Bruce, there are two types of divers--those who "use antifreeze" and those who lie about it).

Seriously though, we don't generally do more than one or two dives in a row up here so cold isn't really a problem. There's a couple of sites (Alki pipeline, Langley harbor) that we dive frequently that are shallow enough that they feel nearly tropical in the summer. And, frankly, by the time you've fully geared-up at latitude 47, you're so sweaty and hot the 50-degree water feels great!

Kathi & Leo

Archived