Haines

LeeWalker

My mother sits in a wheelchair. So it will be kind of difficult to take a ferry to Skaway. What's there to do and see in Haines if we decided to stay?

Thank you for all your answers.

Go over to the Trip Advisor website. Go to the Haines Forum. I Googled "Trip Advisor Haines Forum" and got right there. "mombear", a local resident of Haines does a lot of postings there. Ask her and she will know.

Hope this helps.

A good suggestion by Yukon. The White Pass train is one of the most popular excursions, I think your mother would enjoy it. It's my understanding (we're taking this trip next month) that the trip is one-way by train and the other way by bus/van. If you are going up the hill on the train sit on the left side, I think it's the same in the bus/van going down (I hope I got that straight). If you are doing the tour in reverse, sit on the right side if you're going up the hill on the bus and down the hill on the train. ;)

We booked our excursion with our ship but I've read from many posters that they prefer booking independently with Chilkoot Charters and Tours in Skagway. http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/

You will both need your passports or some other sort of ID (maybe birth certificate and drivers license?) because you will be crossing over into Canada during the trip.

I hope this helps, enjoy your visit.

Hi,

If you are going to do the WhitePass from Haines I think you should book through the cruiseline. I was in Haines 2 weeks ago and some folks thought they would save money by going on their own, only to find out when they arrived in Skagway that train was sold out. There were 4 huge ships in Skagway that day--other days could maybe do on own.

Hope this helps

Archived