Glory review 7/19-26

dcrobin

Hello all!

We just got back from our Eastern Caribbean cruise on Glory. I wanted to make a few points with everyone here.

First of all, I want to say "thank you" to everyone who contributes to this message board. I found out so much valuable information on packing, excursion, tips, etc. that made our vacation that much more fun and enjoyable.

Saturday---Embarkation---incredibly smooth and quick. Arrived at PC at 11:40, and we were on the ship at 11:55. Dropped our carryon bags in our cabin (not cleaned or ready, but our wonderful steward Gede from Bali allowed us to leave our bags there!) and went to the Lido deck for lunch and a DOD! Gede was very attentive and friendly, and always addressed us by name. It was as if he knew us, as he seemed to anticipate our needs even before we asked. He was BY FAR the best Cabin Steward we have ever had!

Only complaint for this day was that Carnival does the sailaway durin muster. This is VERY annoying and disappointing, especially for those who have never cruised before (this was our third). I can't believe that they can't do this a bit earlier to allow everyone on deck for the sailaway. This ritual is a major part of the cruise experience, in my opinion!

Sunday---Nassau---stayed on ship by the Aft pool all day. Totally enjoyed having the ship nearly to ourselves. Sunday night first formal night---very nice. We dress for dinner, and don't really care what others do. We saw all kinds of dress codes that night. Didn't affect my experience one bit. We had a FABULOUS table of 11---DH and I, along with four other couples, one with a young adult daughter. All really nice folks and we had a blast all week getting to know them. We had excellent wait staff of Zosimo, Anthony and Elena(bar waitress). They were wonderfully attentive and funny, and exceeded our expectations for service.

Monday---sea day #1----worked out in the gym (as I did every morning at 6:30ish) then hung out by the pool with DH all day. Great to just relax, read and talk with people. GREAT concert by Marcus Anthony (MoTown)--he was very very good. Later that night we were in the Bar Blue and he came in and sang impromptu with the 3 piece jazz band who was performing there. What a special treat! We really enjoyed him.

Tuesday---St. Thomas---took a tour of the island, spent two hours on Magen's Bay beach (very crowded, but beautiful). Surprised how impoverished the island was. Our tour guide (Cousin Campbell) was great and funny and informative.

Wednesday---St. Maarten---took another island tour, spent two hours at Orient Beach (saw some very memorable sights there---in a very good way!) and shopped downtown a bit. Drank a guavaberry colada (yummy) at the Holland House hotel on the beach near the pier. Beautiful day.

Thursday and Friday---sea days. Worked out in the gym, took a stretching class (free and very good), lounged by the aft pool and ate and drank while reading and relaxing. Thursday night was second formal night. Attended past guest cocktail party. Very nice. Not too overly impressed with the shows. The main male singer (Nathan Scott?) was below average at best. The dancers were good (enjoyed the full Monty segment!) but not overwhelmingly impressed. Comedian was just okay. Not that funny.

Saturday morning---Debarkation---arrrived in PC at 7 am sharp. We were off the ship (Self-assist is the way to go!!! Pack light!) by 7:30 and in our car and leaving port at 7:40. Very impressed how smoothly it went.

Overall, our experience was spectacular! A few suggestions for Carnival:

*don't sailaway during muster

*have a designated and ENFORCED adults-only pool/spa area (perhaps the aft pool area)

*enforce the no diapers allowed in the pools. This is gross and inconsiderate of guests to do this. Can't they read the posted signs?

That's about it. We will definitely cruise again, and definitely sail on Carnival. Looking forward to the Dream. We will explore other itineraries as well.

I will be happy to answer any specific questions.

Thanks for posting your review. I'll be on the eastern route in September, it will be my second cruise on Glory and I can't wait!

I particularly agree with your comments about babies in the pool and sailaway during muster. We have some first time cruisers in our group and I really hope we'll be up on the lido deck for sailaway.

Terri

thanks everyone for you comments

I forgot to mention that our CD was Butch Begovich, and he was very good. He said he had only been recently promoted (not sure how long ago), but he was very funny, very knowledgeable and accessible to guests during the cruise. We really enjoyed meeting him and getting to know him. We give him a 10 as he compares to others we have had.

How was the gym? Did you take any classes other than the stretching class? I wanted to take some spin classes on our last cruise, but they were right before dinner (early seating) and I would not have had time to shower and get ready. I'm hoping I can take some classes on our upcoming cruise, but will for sure be hitting the gym and the running/walking track.

I just took the one class. Sorry. I am an early morning gym rat, so anything later in the day didn't fit my preferences. I hate to take another shower, etc.

I did, however, participate in the On Deck for a Cure walk. That was AWESOME! I am a cancer survivor (not breast), but to be out there with women and men for a good cause, it was very powerful. We had about 100 people participate in our walk.

I had run into some former students (small world) on our ship, and they were playing mini golf right above us when we were walking. They cheered me on every time I passed them. That was too cute! They had been my students when I had cancer surgery, so they knew the connection. It was a special day!

Didn't care for the piano bar guy or the bar itself---too smoky! We stayed away from the smoky areas. We liked Bar Blue a lot.

I totally forgot about the Supper Club. We dined there on Friday night, the last night of our cruise. It was SPECTACULAR. The food was awesome (lobster bisque, caesar salad, filet mignon, chocolate dessert) and the service was wonderful, but not overbearing.

Very nice experience. Would definitely recommend it. The only thing was that we would go later, as there are people walking by during the sunset, and that makes it a lot less upscale feeling. Once the sun set, they lowered the shades and lowered the lights, and that made it more romantic.

Didn't care for the piano bar guy or the bar itself---too smoky! We stayed away from the smoky areas. We liked Bar Blue a lot.

I totally forgot about the Supper Club. We dined there on Friday night, the last night of our cruise. It was SPECTACULAR. The food was awesome (lobster bisque, caesar salad, filet mignon, chocolate dessert) and the service was wonderful, but not overbearing.

Very nice experience. Would definitely recommend it. The only thing was that we would go later, as there are people walking by during the sunset, and that makes it a lot less upscale feeling. Once the sun set, they lowered the shades and lowered the lights, and that made it more romantic.

DCRobin: Enjoyed your review. I'm cruising this Saturday and just printed the capers I found online. I looked up what time the Muster Drill was for and am saddened they scheduled this for 4:00 p.m., time of sailing. Why is it that they do this?:confused:

That is the question of the century! No one seems to know why Carnival insists upon doing this!

I have never had it happen until this cruise. But I had been warned that this was the case. Very disappointing, and in my opinion, totally preventable.

Perhaps someone from Carnival can answer this for us? Or can it be changed?

Archived