3 Adults in One Room?

vacacountdown

I am in the process of planning a surprise Alaska cruise for my mother's 50th birthday next year. There will be 5 adults going and we need to keep it cost effective. I have never had to sleep 3 people in one room and I do not know how to look for the proper room for us or to make sure we are getting one that will sleep 3 of us comfortably. Especially since I will be the one on the "extra" bed I want to make sure I can enjoy my vacation.

Any tips? I'm not sure which cruiseline I'm going to take because this will play into the decision but I am thinking of either NCL (which has the best rates right now), Princess, or Celebrity. There are a lot of Holland cruises but I was always under the impression that Holland is for the older crowd and that won't fit us that well. We want activities on board since all of us, including my parents, are on the young side.

I would appreciate any advice you can give since I feel like I don't know a thing about looking for a 3 person cabin. Thanks in advance!

Please familiarize yourself with the deck plans of each ship you are looking at. The deck plans will have a symbol or symbols to describe what is available in the cabins. The third bed could be either a sofa bed or a pullman. On many ships a connecting cabin will not have a sofa bed so check for that symbol too. It may have a pullman but the doorway between cabins will not provide enough space for the couch/sofa bed.

We have sailed to Alaska on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Both cruises were wonderful.

Compare itineraries carefully. Look at the amount of time you will spend in each port. Which Canadian port is more pleasing to you if you sail out of the US.

Also please factor in the now, almost necessary, travel to your departure city the day before the cruise commences and travel insurance [not from the cruise line.]

Your airline costs will be lower sailing from Seattle. Alaskan excursions are very expensive and you should take this into consideration too since cost seems to be a factor.

I have not sailed NCL. I am not a fan of their any time dining. Take a look at Carnival and RCI too. Your family will find much to do on board your two choices as well as these lines. Alaska is really a cruise for the land as opposed to a cruise for the ship.

Happy planning and ask all the questions you need to here on CC.

Everything I have looked at that provides a description of the room for inside or oceanview doesn't say anything about a pullman or sofabed. The only time they seem to mention extra beds is in the suites. That's why I had the question. I will definitely look for the stars you mentioned on the actual deck plans and hopefully that will help. I don't understand why they can't include these things in the description. How will I know for sure that is what I am getting when I book online? I guess that is my concern. I also don't know what is better for an adult, a pullman or a sofabed.

I took the NCLA Hawaii cruise last year and I'm assuming Alaska will be similiar in the fact that the boat becomes more like a floating hotel and the focus is on the land. Thanks for your help!

Here's a great website...

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/home1.php

Find the cruiseline you're interested in, then select the ship.

For some lines (Carnival & RCI for sure), you can then select "Cabin details by deck." When you select a deck, it gives you a description of every cabin on that deck, including the bed configuration (whether there's a 3rd and/or 4th bed, whether that is a pullman or a convertible sofa), etc.

Really useful stuff.

For an alaskan cruise you really want to try hard to budget for a balcony.

I mean there is sooo much scenery there--- and to share it enmasse up on the public deck with everyone jockeying for prime standing space--

Save the inside= oceanview for the caribbean

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I have sailed with Royal Caribbean and we left out of Vancouver. That airport was much more beautiful and organized than Seattles. We left out of Seattle on a Holland America cruise. I have to say after everything i heard about Holland America (we sailed on the Oosterdam) it was theworst service i ever had. Every night at dinner we had to ask for something as simple as more bread !!! UGH!! I would recommend Royal Caribbean. I have never sailed on Princess. And i agree with the other comment that I would not be a fan of anytime (freestyle) dining{Norwegian}. I love meeting and getting to know my dinner mates. :) Did you say you cruised before? Can't remember!! Just remember they are not hotel size rooms!!! :) I went inside rooms on both cruises. i would rather spend money elsewhere (tours etc)

Here's a great website...

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/home1.php

Find the cruiseline you're interested in, then select the ship.

For some lines (Carnival & RCI for sure), you can then select "Cabin details by deck." When you select a deck, it gives you a description of every cabin on that deck, including the bed configuration (whether there's a 3rd and/or 4th bed, whether that is a pullman or a convertible sofa), etc.

Really useful stuff.

Be aware, you can't use the above website unless your a member. Its 11.99 a year to join..

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I have cruised twice. Once on RCCL and once on Princess. Both times we have had a mini suite and traveled with a third person. First time with my sister and then with my step-daughter. Even in the mini-suite it was cozy to say the least.:eek: The steward would make out the sofa while we would be at dinner and then we were stumbling over it when we got back. I repeatedly asked him to wait and then found out that my sister was telling him how she always liked to lie down after dinner. Mixed signals there. I have also heard that if doing Alaska to spring for a balcony. It also provides a little more room for folks.

Barb

Archived