Need help from Brissbanites please

Hi guys,

I need to find some reasonable motel accomodation near the Cairncross Dock Yards...Balmoral, Morningside, Bulimba area.

I can't seem to find anything in that area on the net. Can any of you locals help me out here please?????!!!!!

Many thanks (in anticipation)

Kaz:)

Hi guys,

I need to find some reasonable motel accomodation near the Cairncross Dock Yards...Balmoral, Morningside, Bulimba area.

I can't seem to find anything in that area on the net. Can any of you locals help me out here please?????!!!!!

Many thanks (in anticipation)

Kaz:)

Hi Kaz

There is a hotel/motel at Colmslie (Morningside). There is also a hotel at Bulimba but I think it is called, or was called the Balmoral hotel.

[EDIT] The one at Morningside called the Colmslie Hotel

I don't think there would be too much accommodation there as it is very much suburbia and the Cairncross area light industrial.

Wow! It is some years since I lived in that area but that is a start.

I work 5 mins drive from Portside (which is on the other side of the river to Cairncross). I'll make a point of looking out for the names of the hotels I pass on the way home tonight and put on another post for you :)

Thanks Jo...The ship gets in on the 30th Aug, so I have a little time to sort things out. He still has to go to work during the day, so the closer to the dockyard the better...OR...I might have to hire a car if there is nothing close.

Kaz

Thanks Jo...The ship gets in on the 30th Aug, so I have a little time to sort things out. He still has to go to work during the day, so the closer to the dockyard the better...OR...I might have to hire a car if there is nothing close.

Kaz

Kaz, I had it in my head that he'd be on Pacific Dawn when we sail on her on the 7th September - was I imagining this??

If you hire a car, one of the hotels in the Kangaroo Point, East Brisbane area (do a white pages or google search on those suburbs) might be the way to go - then it's only a 10-15 minute drive (outside peak hour) out to Cairncross, and you're on the right side of the river. Check out one of the budget accomodation sites, as it's after Ekka (our Royal Show) and before the school holidays their might be some good deals available.

Kym

Hi Kaz,

The places closest to Portside are Kingsford Smith Motel (this is the closest but on the intersection of 2 very busy main roads. Not sure how good their sound proofing is ;)) There's the Formule 1 off Nudgee Rd, but it's probably a little out of the way without a car (and not so romantic for a dirty weekend). There's also a Best Western, Airolodge and Airport International Hotel all in a row along Kingsford Smith Drive.

The nicest looking one was the Brisbane Riverview Hotel. It's a little further along Kingsford Smith Drive, probably a 15 min walk to Portside. It hands down looks the best of the lot from the outside though. Also looks out over Newstead Park and the Brissie River. Probably the best one for a romantic dirty weekend LOL.

Hope that helps you :)

Hi Kaz,

The places closest to Portside are Kingsford Smith Motel (this is the closest but on the intersection of 2 very busy main roads. Not sure how good their sound proofing is ;)) There's the Formule 1 off Nudgee Rd, but it's probably a little out of the way without a car (and not so romantic for a dirty weekend). There's also a Best Western, Airolodge and Airport International Hotel all in a row along Kingsford Smith Drive.

The nicest looking one was the Brisbane Riverview Hotel. It's a little further along Kingsford Smith Drive, probably a 15 min walk to Portside. It hands down looks the best of the lot from the outside though. Also looks out over Newstead Park and the Brissie River. Probably the best one for a romantic dirty weekend LOL.

Hope that helps you :)

Thanks Jo, but I think you are on the wrong side of the river!! I stayed at the Airolodge last Easter (very good motel by the way). The ship will be in Drydock on the Morningside part of town.

Would consider staying there if there was a water taxi that did from Hamilton to Cairncross.

Kaz, I had it in my head that he'd be on Pacific Dawn when we sail on her on the 7th September - was I imagining this??

If you hire a car, one of the hotels in the Kangaroo Point, East Brisbane area (do a white pages or google search on those suburbs) might be the way to go - then it's only a 10-15 minute drive (outside peak hour) out to Cairncross, and you're on the right side of the river. Check out one of the budget accomodation sites, as it's after Ekka (our Royal Show) and before the school holidays their might be some good deals available.

Kym

Hi Kym.

No...he was on the Dawn...he got tran shipped to the Sun, Just before Chez got on for her trip.

Hi Kym.

No...he was on the Dawn...he got tran shipped to the Sun, Just before Chez got on for her trip.

Ahhh I see, must be where I thought he'd be on P.Dawn in September. Maybe he'll still be on P.Sun in January when we go on her.

Nope...he finishes his contract end Nov begininng Dec. Should be back at sea in March if I have my calculations right.

Though...might have time to catch up with you guys when in drydock!

:D

Does he know what ship he's on next Kaz? Maybe we will see him on the Dawn in March. And if so, you should think about joining us;)

One step ahead of you...already planted that seed in his head two days ago!! LOL!!!

He asked me why I was asking if he was going to the Dawn....very suspicious sort he is.

Just doing the calculations for my 4 days in Brissie...accomodation, flights up and back, car rental, food,etc...comes to over $1000.

I saw prices for the cruise on the 13th for $770 twin share...I could convince a friend to come along and then cruise instead a few days later and still save money!!! 7 days instead of 4. Wonder if He will go for that??

(Sad isn't it...I only got back on Wednesday and I am trying to plan another one so quickly!!)

Nope...he finishes his contract end Nov begininng Dec. Should be back at sea in March if I have my calculations right.

Though...might have time to catch up with you guys when in drydock!

:D

Sounds good Kaz.... When duirng the dry docking are you coming up?? We fly out of Brisbane on Sat 6th September.

Kym

Archived