Dutch High Tea vs. English High Tea

ScottC4746

I saw on a thread someone hand copied the daily schedule. On there was listed Dutch High Tea. How does that differ from English High Tea. As a caveat, I will explain a English tea and English High Tea differ in that the English High Tea has meats and can be considered a meal where as English Tea is what American call High Tea with the finger sandwiches and tea as a means of making it through the afternoon before dinner.

Generally speaking the Dutch tea is NOT like an English High Tea. However, depending on the chef, I have seen a few spreads that would be considered a true English High Tea.

I have only seen this on 30 day cruises or longer. Sometimes there will be something called Le Grande Buffet that is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

On the cruises I have been on, a Dutch tea was offered once per cruise. Beautifully presented buffet tables with ice carvings, flowers, and many savory and sweet items to select (all bite size if I recall). The tea was brought to one's table.

The other daily teas you are seated, and trays are brought to the table where you point out which goodies you would like and they are served to you. Not exactly like the English teas with the tiered-plates containing sandwiches, sweets, etc.

I have never attended the Indonesian tea, which I will make a point of next cruise.

Enjoy!:p

I love the Indonesian tea. The actual tea comes from Indonesia-some different types to chose from. The waiters are all in beautiful Indonesian garb. I think there was music in the background and this was held in the dining room. There was the usual little sandwiches and desserts but also some Indonesian goodies that were served on trays.

On our recent Alaskan cruise on the Zaandam they served both Danish and Indonesian high teas.

The Danish tea was served as a buffet with both finger foods and meat items.

The Indonesian tea had some of the traditional finger pasteries and a small selection of Indonesian delicacies like banana fritters, rice cakes, and coconut wraps. The staff served from platters at your table and took great pride in explaining how these sweet treats are prepared and served at home.

We became hooked on attending Tea every afternoon when our schedule allowed. It was a nice relaxing way to unwind late in the afternoon after a full day of activities before preparing for dinner.

Archived