Dover to Heathrow

We are arriving in Dover on the Norwegian Jewel at 5:00am. Does anyone have a good suggestion on getting from there to Heathrow airport other than using NCL transfer at $80/person?

I would also welcome suggestions on getting our own excursion from Warnemunde to Berlin?

Thanks!

I use the train to London from dover. A few months ago it was £22 each. Runs every half hour or so and the station is only a 5-10 minute taxi ride from the port. The train goes to charing cross or Victoria. I usually then get a taxi to paddington and then get the heathrow express. this is far from the cheapest way of doing it. You could use the underground to transfer to paddington or all the way to heathrow. i dont because it's just to much hassle with luggage. The train to London from Dover, takes at least 2 hours and then you've got to get out to the Airport. The cruise transfer would probably be quicker and less hassle. There may also be a coach from Dover to heathrow but i've never investigated it as I dont travel longer distances well on coaches (its about 100 miles to heathrow). if there is one, it's likely to be national Express, so you could check their website.

A taxi all the way is going to be very expensive appx £150-180

Where are our manners? Hi, johnami, and welcome to CC!

We are arriving in Dover on the Norwegian Jewel at 5:00am. Does anyone have a good suggestion on getting from there to Heathrow airport other than using NCL transfer at $80/person?
It's not that bad a price, actually, for a direct transfer from Heathrow to Dover. You'll need to balance the relatively small cost saving by going on public transport against the hassle of doing it yourself.

For your Warnemunde/Berlin questions, you'd be better off searching the Northern Europe/Baltic forum, where this is an often-discussed topic.

Unless you have experience traveling by various methods in the UK, that the NCL connection. The price isn't really too high for the service you get and you won't have to haul around your own luggage.

I do know my way around the UK and would not attempt the train etc. linking up with more than one small suitcase.

The other thing to factor in, is your flight time from Heathrow. Although the cruise may arrive at 05:00, you'll normally be off the ship at 08:00 or shortly after.

At best its a 2 hour journey by road direct to Heathrow, so the cruise bus or a taxi should be at Heathrow by 10:30

By public transport via Central London, you're looking at a best case scenario of being at Heathrow at least an hour later which translates to a 13:30 departure or later transatlantic, providing a little contingency. You'll also have endured the taxi queue at Dover for the rail station and the awkward transfer from London to Heathrow probably dragging cases around the London Underground system.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the above posters. I think first choice would be private transfer and the second choice would be ship transfer. We did private transfer after our first cruise, very easy and no hassle (with a group from CC). After the second cruise we did ship transfer, for 85 GBP really not a bad deal. With all the luggages getting on trains etc would be difficult, IMO. We only had one rolling duffle bag and a back pack each and that was too much for us.

• 2 months later...

When we did the Baltic we initially thought the ship transfer price was insane and figured we would be able to do cheaper. We arranged own air and flew in 4 days prior to cruise to do the london thing and almost waited to figure it out once in london. I knew you could use public transit but would have to drag bags on busses and trains and with the way my wife packs figured that might not work. For some reason we decided to just do the NCL transfer (they started to give us a hard time adding as for some reason you are only suppose to be able to use if flying in day of if you do own air - but they eventually allowed us to book) Once in London I WAS SO GLAD WE DID THIS as prices are so much higher and the exchange rate kills us Americans. Would have been almost $200 for a private car.

Dover to Heathrow (like Harwich to Heathrow) by public transit invariably involves a cross-town trip in London. If you don't mind the taxi ride, OK. If not you can get a bus (or a train)from Dover to Victoria in London, then one to Heathrow from there. Check National Express website. It can be iffy in terms of bus times and traffic jams. If your time is tight, skip this and do this 3-hop trip.

1. Train to Waterloo East station (at least hourly; trip takes <2 hrs)

2. Walk to Waterloo Main station (<5 mins)

3. Train Waterloo to Feltham (frequent, about 30 mins.)

4. Bus #285 to Heathrow (every 15 mins; journey time about 20 mins).

The bus has luggage racks for travellers.

Buy a through ticket to Feltham from Dover.

Archived