Pirate Ship PV

morriscats

My search will not work. My kids and grandkids want to try the Pirate Ship. Papa and I have usually just gone to Krystal to swim and relax. Can anyone tell me about this tour? Youngest is 5. Thanks.

Here is the web site for the tour operator. http://www.marigalante.com.mx/

The activity beach is on the south side of the bay, just east of Yelapa http://www.vallartainfo.com/outerlimits.html

Transfer from the "Pirate Ship" to the activity beach is via small boats and you will get your feet wet (don't wear you $300 leather sandles) as you come ashore.

Enjoy!

We went on the Pirate Ship Adventure a few years ago. We loved it. However, it can also be a bit rough on the seas. But the food was great, the entertainment was wonderful and the children loved it. I would recommend it. Everyone seemed to have a good time.

They provided several people to help you on and off. The ship is rocky, I will admit - it was a bit of a roller coaster ride at times. But they were very careful not to let anyone fall getting to and from the small boat. You would have to use your own discretion. I would go, but don't walk around the ship while it is at sea - that is when you really need your sea legs!

I saw this when we docked in PV in October. We are returning in June but on the Splendor. I noticed on the site that the excursion starts at 8am and we are not scheduled to dock until 10am. So I guess I will miss it again. :( Someone I met on the ship last time, said it is a great thing for families.

All 11 of our group just did this excursion a couple of weeks ago and we had a BLAST. As stated, it's an all day trip for sure. We debarked around 7:45 and were on the Marigalante having breakfast about 20 minutes later after a short walk. Our group ranged from 7 to 70, and we all had a great time.

My mom, who is 68 with artificial knees, needed assistance getting on and off the small transport boats, but they have a LOT of young, strapping pirates there to assist at every turn. She didn't have a problem at all.

I was worried about shade, both on and off the ship. This wasn't an issue at all. They have canvas covers that they drape over the ship (instead of sails) to create shade, and there is shade on the beach (as well as a cool, fresh water streaming emptying into the ocean there). Try it if you can!

IMG_2134-vi.jpg

IMG_2145-vi.jpg

IMG_2152-vi.jpg

IMG_2165-vi.jpg

IMG_2168-vi.jpg

IMG_2176-vi.jpg

Gosh - your pictures brought back so many great memories. Thanks for sharing.

For those who go to P.V. and stay at a hotel - this ship also runs at night - more for the adults - and each night they let off fireworks. Quite a sight!

You're welcome!

We have to share this story about the evening cruise on July 17th. We had spent the day on the pirate ship having a blast, and around 4:30 or 5pm we saw the ship set out on their evening trip. It passed under our balcony in full party mode...full of people, dancing, drinking, loud music, pirates swinging from the masts, etc. They were having a blast.

Within 30 minutes we noticed nasty thunderstorms coming in over the mountains. The weather got worse and worse over the next hour, and by the time we went down to dinner it was pouring rain so hard you couldn't see 100 yards, the wind was blowing at 40mph, and lightening was hitting the water next to the ship. It was nasty! Of course, our 1000 foot cruise ship didn't care at all, but it was certainly quite a show from mother nature.

Around 7pm we were in the middle of dinner in the dining room, and our ship had been underway for about an hour. We looked out the dining room window and there was the Marigalante, looking like a ghost ship in that weather trying to get back to port. Disney could not have done better job of filming a ghost ship scene if it tried. The pirate ship was getting tossed around like a rag in that weather, and the rain was still coming down in buckets and lightning striking everywhere! We knew that those poor, partying passengers were having the ride of their lives, and not in a good way!! They were still at least 2 hours out of port, and I'm sure it was miserable on there with minimal shelter. If you remember, there was a sheltered downstairs area, but there's no way that everyone would fit down there. Even the folks that did were probably wet because this boat was hand made from timbers and leaked everywhere.

Turns out that night they had severe flooding in PV from those storms. We got out of that weather in about 3-4 hours of sailing, but the poor people on that pirate ship were heading right back into that weather. Still gives me shivers. :eek:

Here are a few more pictures of that evening, after we had gotten off the Marigalante.

Heading off into the unknown...partying their fannies off...

IMG_2233-vi.jpg

Here comes the weather. Oh oh. Notice the lightening bolt in the first pic

IMG_2241-vi.jpg

The rain picks up a bit...

IMG_2253-vi.jpg

This isn't night time...this is 5 in the afternoon!

IMG_2259-vi.jpg

Yep! It's raining. What you don't see are the 40mph winds with this mess!

IMG_2280-vi.jpg

I wish I had a "ghost ship" picture but I didn't have my camera at dinner. Oh well.

Yup - when we were in P.V. for a holiday - thunderstorms (in August) occur almost daily - you think okay it's over and it will clear the air up - but no - it just gets hotter and hotter.

I never thought of those poor people on the pirate ship when that occurred. You are right - they would have no shelter at all.

Don't let this scare off those interested in the trip though - it is a blast and you will have a wonderful time.

P.S. Did I mention the food was really good - Chicken and Ribs for lunch, mmmmm.

• 2 weeks later...

You never leave the pier - but it is a walk if you have trouble. I would say it is about two city blocks worth. Perhaps if you decide you would like to go, e-mail the company. Their website is listed in one of the posts - perhaps they could assist in getting your husband aboard. All the best to you.

We will be taking the Pirate Ship in October. My husband cannot walk far and usually uses a scooter. Can you tell me how far the walk is from the ship to the Pirate Ship?

We originally were going to do this but I think it was posted on this thread that you have to leave the Pirate Ship and get on small boats to go ashore. I have a bad back and neck and am a little worried about how hard that would be so check that part out for your husband as well. Also have to get off the small boat in the shallow water?? Still debating this one.

If you look at the reply for OP #8 - he says that his mother who is 70 has artificial knees - but was taken care of by the "pirates". It is up to you, of course, but I think you would be wise to contact the Pirate Ship and ask them yourselves. :)

There is plenty to do in Puerto Vallarta that does'nt require such physical activity - I am sure you will find something that fits your needs.;)

Good Luck.

Thank you for the information. My husband can walk the two blocks, although mucher slower than the rest of us. I hope the small boats won't be a problem though. How does everyone get on the small boats from the ship? My husband has one bad leg from polio and doesn't have full use of it which could pose a problem.

Archived