Thinking about the Gem

Kathy130

I've got 6 cruises under my belt, but never NCL. Please share things about the Gem that you might have liked. Thinking very seriously about booking a Feb. cruise very soon. All help , thought, would be appreciated.

I was on the Gem 7-13, and did enjoy it! There was a lot to do, from bowling, tennis, soccer, and ping pong. The pool area is very nice as well. They played Wii just about every day though of course since you won't be the only passenger on the ship there might be a wait. Read the reviews and decide from there....you are bound to have a good time

I've got 6 cruises under my belt, but never NCL. Please share things about the Gem that you might have liked. Thinking very seriously about booking a Feb. cruise very soon. All help , thought, would be appreciated.

I've been on the GEM twice, and have 3 more cruises booked on her next year. Since you've never cruise with NCL the biggest difference will be the "freestyle cruising". Although other cruise lines have begun to implement similar programs NCL's GEM was built for freestyle cruising. There are many restaurant options, some requiring reservations and some with an additional cost. Who you dine with, and when, is up to you.......freestyle gives the cruisers lots of options. Also you will find the dress code quite relaxed, with no set "formal" nights......you chose when and if you want to dress formally. They will have photographers set up in the atrium every evening for formal photos.

In particular the GEM offers the best buffet I've seen on any of the NCL ships, with "action" stations for salads, breads, pasta, desserts, ect.

The decor of the ship is a bit "bright" with some unique furniture shapes/colors. There are many different lounges, with different types of entertainment so if one doesn't appeal to you there's probably another that will.

The staff on all of the NCL cruises I've been on are extremely friendly and always seem to be smiling and greeting passengers they pass around the ship.

If you end up booking a Feb. cruise for next year be sure to stop by the roll call section and jump in and introduce youself....:)

We had a great time on the Gem and found plenty to do. I wouldn't hesitate to book her. There are some pictures, menus and dailies in my webshots albums in my signature if you'd like to check them out.

Have a great time whatever you decide.

Jackie

Archived