Cavetubing with kids

hturkoz1

I noticed that the minimum age with Carnival to cave tube is 12 years of age. But it seems like people have taken younger children on this excursion.

We will be traveling in late August with a 13 and 7 year old. Does anyone have any information on whether this excursion is safe for younger children????

We did Major Tom's tour with our 3 kids, then 16, 11 (turned 12 a few weeks later) and 8. The excursion was perfectly safe for our 8 YO - they have life vests and tubes sized for the smaller kids - but I would recommend making sure that your 7 YO is comfortable in the water. There is some work involved; it's not a "lazy river" type excursion. DH had to help our son after we exited the caves to float downstream. Also, the kids have to carry their tubes during the 1/2 hour walk to the caves - the tubes are more bulky than heavy, but you may end up helping your younger one with the tube.

We just went cave tubing 7/17. The youngest in our group was 5 (my neice) and the oldest was 67 (my mom). No one had any problems. They did have smaller tubes and life vests for the younger ones and fastened the younger kids' tubes to an adult/parents' tube. I carried my daughters (6) tube for her.

I see that Major Tom takes kids under 5. We'll be cruising with one boy who is about to turn 4. Mom was planning on staying behind with him, but now that I see that he CAN do it, I'm wondering if he SHOULD. Has anybody done this with a kid under 5?

We did this last Nov with our then 6 yr old with Major Tom. His son actually took us. We had a blast. He rode in my tube with me cause he was a little apprehensive at the beginning. He was worried about how deep the water was, not the water temp or the bats, etc. It was a great tour with lots of info on Belize.

• 3 weeks later...

Went went two years ago with cave-tubing dot com, and there were two small children (4 and 5) that the guides were very helpful with (carrying their tubes and the parents tubes when they were carrying the children), however the two children did not seem to enjoy the hike up to the entrance point nor the "refreshing" water (there were a few temper tantrums and a lot of crying). I think 7 would be a good age, but not younger if it were me. Great excursion though! Oh, one tip for you, get tevas (not the flip flops, the ones with the strap over the toe and around the ankle. crocs and flip flops are not reccomended) and take skin so soft for the bigs! Hope this helps, have a great trip!

Archived