Have you ever....?

cod

The fat slob however who wrote that Spirit review is not equal to the rest of us. He is below us and does not deserve any respect. A trained chimpanze is a higher life form than that guy.

Can someone post a link to the review in question so I can see what was actually posted to cause such uncalled-for name-calling?

While I agree that ordering water/free beverages and not tipping is unreasonable, I'm at a loss to understand why it evokes such vile attacks. :confused:

Ok, I went over and read the negative review by NJCruiser that you are mentioning.

He does sound very arrogant and pompous. Sounds like he wants to be waited on hand and foot. If you read the only other review that he has written, you will see that there were problems with that cruise (on Carnival) as well. Sounds to me as nothing more than a whiner. I stand by my slob comment.

I also read the negative review by ForrestGump. The name first him... I believe it must have been his first cruise... he was complaining about everything that is standard on a cruise! (high priced excurstions, paying for bingo and krack-its, paying for drinks, etc.)

Isn't it funny, the two worst reviews on the Spirit for the past month are by ignorants?

I found the review that started all of this, it's here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43783

Despite the fact that the reviewer claims to have cruised in the past, he sounds like a "newbie", and it sounds like he may have been given some misinformation at times (i.e. when told he needed long pants to dine at Windows, he should have been told A) they aren't required at the other restaurants, B) they do have men's pants available for sale in the gift shop). He also complains about the costs of items that always have a fee (Internet, beverages, etc.) whether on NCL or another cruise line, so I think he's a "newbie".

Does he come across as abbrasive? Yes, and that was probably a large part of his problems. What's that old saying, you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar? ;)

Can someone post a link to the review in question so I can see what was actually posted to cause such uncalled-for name-calling?

While I agree that ordering water/free beverages and not tipping is unreasonable, I'm at a loss to understand why it evokes such vile attacks. :confused:

I have to agree with you on this... I hate name calling. It seems to happen a lot here, though.

I checked out the review as well, and my favourite part was where he says they had the autogratuity removed and tipped as they went. Suuuuuuuure they did. I can tell they're generous and consistent tippers by the tone of their review.:rolleyes:

As for the question of ordering water, I'm a big water-orderer. I often go out and drink only water, or when I'm consuming alcohol, I sometimes like to alternate. When I order water, not only do I always tip, but when I order it, I say, 'The next time you're coming back this way, could you please bring me a glass of water?' That way, if nobody in my party is ordering a paid beverage, or I'm not getting my water along with another drink, I'm hopefully making it clear to the server that I don't expect them to make the trip for just one glass of water. If I have the option of getting it myself, though, that's always my preference. :)

I've also read posts and reviews in which people describe servers having to leave the bar they're in to retrieve certain beverages from other areas of the ship. If that was the case here, and the server would have had to leave the area he was responsible for to get an iced tea for the reviewer, then I think he was absolutely correct in directing the passenger to where he could get his own free drinks. Who knows? Perhaps he'd already brought him some and found out that the man didn't tip... I doubt that part would have been included in the review...

it sounds like he may have been given some misinformation at times (i.e. when told he needed long pants to dine at Windows, he should have been told A) they aren't required at the other restaurants,

I REALLY don't want this to beccome a dresscode thread, but I thought it was just the Pride of America that was allowing shorts in the dining rooms at dinner time. Is this true of all NCL ships?

Despite the fact that the reviewer claims to have cruised in the past, he sounds like a "newbie", and it sounds like he may have been given some misinformation at times (i.e. when told he needed long pants to dine at Windows, he should have been told A) they aren't required at the other restaurants, B) they do have men's pants available for sale in the gift shop). He also complains about the costs of items that always have a fee (Internet, beverages, etc.) whether on NCL or another cruise line, so I think he's a "newbie".

Does he come across as abbrasive? Yes, and that was probably a large part of his problems. What's that old saying, you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar? ;)

His/Her credibility is a bit questionable. On the NCL review he/she says they're going to " stick with Carnival or Princess (the two cruise lines we've used in the past, both of which are excellent)" and on the Carnival review says "Back to Celebrity for us! ".

I don't know about anyone else but I'm confused! :confused:

I know what you are saying, but if he is a newbe, then he is still an ccc for claiming he has cruised before, even mentioning the lines. All I can say is, I certainly hope he isn't on our next cruise: it is unlikely he will be..

Nita

I REALLY don't want this to beccome a dresscode thread, but I thought it was just the Pride of America that was allowing shorts in the dining rooms at dinner time. Is this true of all NCL ships?

I don't know, the reviewer wrote:

the staff WAS letting people into the other main restaurant, the Garden Room, in shorts!!

3 weeks ago on Dream shorts were not allowed in any of the dining rooms during dinner, only lunch. They were allowed at the Sports Bar/Buffet and Pizzaria of course. Jeans were allowed in all dining rooms except The Terraces (even Le Bistro allows jeans).

As others have said, if you only wanted tap water but tipped the waiter a buck every time he brought you one, I'm sure he'd be glad to do it. :)

I am really confused! I have never sailed NCL but husband has ... anyway, so we have to carry cash around with us to tip? On other cruises anytime I ordered a drink it included the tip!

I have to agree with you on this... I hate name calling. It seems to happen a lot here, though.

I checked out the review as well, and my favourite part was where he says they had the autogratuity removed and tipped as they went. Suuuuuuuure they did. I can tell they're generous and consistent tippers by the tone of their review.:rolleyes:

As for the question of ordering water, I'm a big water-orderer. I often go out and drink only water, or when I'm consuming alcohol, I sometimes like to alternate. When I order water, not only do I always tip, but when I order it, I say, 'The next time you're coming back this way, could you please bring me a glass of water?' That way, if nobody in my party is ordering a paid beverage, or I'm not getting my water along with another drink, I'm hopefully making it clear to the server that I don't expect them to make the trip for just one glass of water. If I have the option of getting it myself, though, that's always my preference. :)

I've also read posts and reviews in which people describe servers having to leave the bar they're in to retrieve certain beverages from other areas of the ship. If that was the case here, and the server would have had to leave the area he was responsible for to get an iced tea for the reviewer, then I think he was absolutely correct in directing the passenger to where he could get his own free drinks. Who knows? Perhaps he'd already brought him some and found out that the man didn't tip... I doubt that part would have been included in the review...

and you know what, I was going to bring that up: if you nicely say, if and when you come back would you mind bringing me a glass or of water, I bet the wait person would be more than willing to bring you some. On the Jewel we were eating breakfast with a young women and her mother. Mom wanted some tomato juice which was not on the buffet. When a cocktail wait person came by the gal asked, very nicely if there was some way mom could get a glass of tomoto juice? Not only did the wait person bring it, she refused a tip.

What do you bet the guy doing the review did not ask in a nice way...

Nita

I am really confused! I have never sailed NCL but husband has ... anyway, so we have to carry cash around with us to tip? On other cruises anytime I ordered a drink it included the tip!

no, of course not: what some are saying, if you order something like water, etc with no charge it would be appropriate to give the wait person a tip in cash. If you are ordering a normal drink, alcoholic or not, yes, the tip will appear on the tab. this thread has more to do with some guys (ok, I won't call him anymore names) be demanding, wanting service above and beyond and being upset when someone didn't jump at his every request.

Nita

His/Her credibility is a bit questionable. On the NCL review he/she says they're going to " stick with Carnival or Princess (the two cruise lines we've used in the past, both of which are excellent)" and on the Carnival review says "Back to Celebrity for us! ".

I don't know about anyone else but I'm confused! :confused:

Nice catch!! It doesn't sound confusing to me at all... it makes it all quite a bit more clear, in fact. :p

this thread has more to do with some guys (ok, I won't call him anymore names) be demanding, wanting service above and beyond and being upset when someone didn't jump at his every request.

Nita

Well Nita, I agreed with the name you called! HA! Its awful how people act like they are owed something. The Crew are human and just like everyone else dont have good days! There are days I dont wont to come to work. They have alot to deal with and should not have obnoxious people being critical of them. I understand that they are doing their job but you dont know what is going on in their lives. Who knows .. they might have a sick parent at home or are missing their family .... that is why it is so important to be kind to everyone.

Ok, enough preaching on my end!!!

Thanks for the info ... I was sure that is how it is but just wanted to make it clear.

I always carry cash with me for tips on a cruise because I rarely drink anyting but water, coffee or tea. Unless I order a speciality coffee, there is no charge, so I have no way to put a tip on a "charge" so to speak, and I do not expect them to bring me a drink, any drink, without a thank you tip. If you order soda's or adult beverages, etc.. I wouldn't worry about it, as there will be an auto tip on the charge slip. Oh.. and just so you will know me when you see me.. LOL.. I am the guy that would be out by the pool at 2PM in the Caribbean drinking a cup of coffee. Hot or cold weather.. doesn't matter to me.. I still drink coffee morning to night..LOL.

Well Nita, I agreed with the name you called! HA! Its awful how people act like they are owed something. The Crew are human and just like everyone else dont have good days! There are days I dont wont to come to work. They have alot to deal with and should not have obnoxious people being critical of them. I understand that they are doing their job but you dont know what is going on in their lives. Who knows .. they might have a sick parent at home or are missing their family .... that is why it is so important to be kind to everyone.

Ok, enough preaching on my end!!!

Thanks for the info ... I was sure that is how it is but just wanted to make it clear.

I absolutely can not stand to see someone scream or yell at the crew. Yes. I have gotten upset at times, but I try to always treat the crew members as nicely as I possibly can. I get upset.. maybe have a raised voice.. but I never talk down to them.. and never scream. When I see someone mistreat a crew member... all that keeps going through my mind is.. Wow.. thats real class isnt it. I really honestly do not think that people look at THEM as being the idiot, not the crew member that they are screaming at.

Ok.. I just went and read the review that started this thread.. Is that person kidding me? That person has to be the BIGGEST idiot ever if they are goiing to try to convience me that they could not find NCl's dress code on NCL's website. I am not one to usually call people names, but I'm sorry.. this time I think the shoe fits.

Archived