Western Caribbean to Mexico--Need your opinion

AFAMILY

We are considering the 7-Day Western Caribbean cruise to Mexico leaving from New Orleans on the Spirit in April of 2010. Has anyone done this cruise and if so what is your opinion?

Also, do you dock or tender at these ports?

Costa Maya

Santo Tomas De Castilla

Belize City

Cozumel

Thanks for your help.

i loved it, i could drive to the port...easy on/off the ship.

didn't go to costa maya last year, they were destroy by the hurricane a few months before i cruise (dec '07). they have just gotten the area rebuilt, no ships have gone there yet (since the repairs)..no reports of what it looks like or what they are offering.

santo tomas is different, a freight port with no tourist attivities around the port. there's a building, in the secure area, with shopping, entertainment, food and tour vendors. we did the 1/2 day trip to quirigua, a mayan area with stellaes. very interesting...others do a water fall tour, not a place to just plan on walking about the port.

belize is the tender port, all ships tender. we did the FULL day lamanai and the river safari..bus to the boats, boat (with wildlife watching) to the ruins. bellize has great mayan culture/history. the port of boards has a lot of information on zip lining, cave tubing and other activities.

cozumel is too great of a beach area to do anything else. :D

We are considering the 7-Day Western Caribbean cruise to Mexico leaving from New Orleans on the Spirit in April of 2010. Has anyone done this cruise and if so what is your opinion?

Also, do you dock or tender at these ports?

Costa Maya

Santo Tomas De Castilla

Belize City

Cozumel

Thanks for your help.

We're doing this in April '09! I can't wait. I'm eager to see responses too.

Thanks for all the great info Cathi......sounds like it's a cruise we would really enjoy. We both like the cultural/historical aspect you mentioned and with some nice beaches and a little local shopping mixed in, it sounds like it has everything we're looking for.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Happy Cruising! :)

We're doing this in April '09! I can't wait. I'm eager to see responses too.

We have Bermuda booked in May '09. We would have switched Bermuda to 2010 and done this cruise next year but our daughter is getting married at the end of April '09 so the timing isn't good for us.

Hope you have a good time next year......Toyz711 loved the ports as posted above. We will probably book this one for 2010 soon which seems like a long way off.

Happy Cruising! :)

my DH had to set a limit...only 2 ports with mayan tours!! otherwise i would have dragged him over to tulum...and that's a L O N G trip.

this isn't a good cruise for people that just want beaches and parties, had some on our cruise...complained the whole week!!

for the adventure seeker, it's a great cruise. great local vendors at quirigua, native cloths, jewelry, dolls. belize i didn't look, the port has designer rip-offs. just outside the secure area were some vendors with local products.

i am still hoping for a miracle to happen and to be able to take the cruise this year, again. we will see, still checking prices every week.

have a great cruise.

be sure to check out the port-of-call boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

if you want to see some photos...go to the webshot link in my signature...plus videos of the send-a-way the locals, at santo tomas, give the ships.

Very nice pictures....it looks like you guys had a very nice time.....thanks for sharing them.

my DH had to set a limit...only 2 ports with mayan tours!! otherwise i would have dragged him over to tulum...and that's a L O N G trip.

this isn't a good cruise for people that just want beaches and parties, had some on our cruise...complained the whole week!!

for the adventure seeker, it's a great cruise. great local vendors at quirigua, native cloths, jewelry, dolls. belize i didn't look, the port has designer rip-offs. just outside the secure area were some vendors with local products.

i am still hoping for a miracle to happen and to be able to take the cruise this year, again. we will see, still checking prices every week.

have a great cruise.

be sure to check out the port-of-call boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

We're at the age that we don't want just beaches and parties. We like a nice mix of things and really like to get a feel for the local culture and history. We'll be sure to check out the ports boards too.

The prices seem to be reasonable for 2010. We want a balcony cabin and right now for the two of us it is roughly $2500-2700 which doesn't seem too bad. We have to add airfare to that of course. We've been spoiled so far as we've only sailed out of New York. We live in NJ just 20 minutes from the pier.

Maybe we'll see you on the 2010 sailing!

Thanks again for your helpful input.

i booked in sept for a december cruise, got a balcony for under $900 each. right now that same cruise, 2nd week of december, is showing lower then the other weeks in nov through jan. timing is everything!!

i, usually, don't tell prices...just warning that the prices vary by week..but do get lower during the summer,for that winter cruises. new orleans isn't as popluar a port as miami is. all the balconies, on the spirit, as the same size...no real reason to get a BA instead of a BD. (both being mid-ship...just different decks)

the spirit has very few suites, no mini-suites...and all balconies are the same. very little chance for upgrades....i go for the good price.

Archived