Passport Card

Hawaii697

I'm taking DD and her friend on the Fascination in September. I've recently read that the State Department is now offering passport cards. I'm going to get one for my DD (she's 10) since its cheaper than an actually passport. Has anyone gotten a passport card and if so, how long did it take to receive it?

According to the passport site, anyone who ordered before they went into production (I think it was about 2-3 weeks ago when they went into production) will get theirs by early September. I think it's possible that if you're wanting to cruise in September, that it may be too late for a passport card. You may have to get a passport book to get it in time. The other option is just to bring a birth certificate.

We applied for cards in May and are still waiting on ours. Our cruise is in September so hopefully we'll have them then. We wish we had done regular passports now, my sister got hers in three weeks.

We applied for cards in May and are still waiting on ours. Our cruise is in September so hopefully we'll have them then. We wish we had done regular passports now, my sister got hers in three weeks.

We're in the same boat as you - applied in May and cruising in late September. We're keeping our fingers crossed that "early September" means "before September 28th".

We applied for cards for our children a few weeks ago. We got their birth certificates back in the mail in less than a week along with a note that the applications are being processed, but since there were so many applications before ours, not to expect them until September at least. We don't cruise until December, so I'm not worried (yet!).

I thought that the pass card would only be good for border crossings between U.S., Mexico and Canada. Perhaps it would be a good idea to check out weather or not they will be good for cruises. Apologies if I'm wrong.

From the US Passport Card site:

"The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards."

I'm taking DD and her friend on the Fascination in September. I've recently read that the State Department is now offering passport cards. I'm going to get one for my DD (she's 10) since its cheaper than an actually passport. Has anyone gotten a passport card and if so, how long did it take to receive it?

you don't need a passport or a passport card to take your cruise. A birth certificate and photo ID is all that's needed.

Save your money as a passport card is no better than a B/C and photo ID. You still can't use it to fly home if you had to for some reason.

Bill

that is true, if you can't use it for international air, there isn't any point to it. It really only works well if you travel by car frequently to Canada or Mexico.

Or if they decide you can't use your BC and ID at some point, which maybe what they are going to do.

We're in the same boat as you - applied in May and cruising in late September. We're keeping our fingers crossed that "early September" means "before September 28th".

Same boat here! We applied in May and we're still waiting for ours. We cruise in November....so I'm still hoping....

Michelle

you don't need a passport or a passport card to take your cruise. A birth certificate and photo ID is all that's needed.

Save your money as a passport card is no better than a B/C and photo ID. You still can't use it to fly home if you had to for some reason.

Bill

Bill, you may have a point . . . State ID for my daughter will be a whooping $5.00 and I only have to wait 10 minutes grin.gif

From the US Passport Card site:

"The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards."

That is something my wife pointed out, (she does passport applications at her job) if the cardholder got the card only and were to get sick or injured while on the cruise or in port, they couldn't be taken by plane anywhere if needed...JUST SOMETHING TO BE AWARE OF:)

What kind of photo id would be needed along with their Birth Cert for children?? Where would I get it?

Kids under 16 arent required to have a Photo ID, but it is a good idea to get them one. I know lots of schools have photo ID's or you can get a state ID

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/fun/cruise_control/EMB_travel_document.aspx

all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID.

If you plan on cruising again after next summer, you will have to have a passport. At that point, DL + birth certificate will no longer suffice.

As long as your ship leaves and returns to the same U.S. port no passport will be required even after June 1, 2009.

Bill

If you plan on cruising again after next summer, you will have to have a passport. At that point, DL + birth certificate will no longer suffice.

US citizens on closed-loop cruises out of the US and within the Western Hemisphere will not have to have a passport.

Please read the final rule effective June 1, 2009, in its entirety and avoid confusing your fellow cruisers.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/E8-6725.pdf.

Same boat here! We applied in May and we're still waiting for ours. We cruise in November....so I'm still hoping....

Michelle

Our passport cards came today!! Just though I'd let you know they are finally getting them out.

Archived