closer ruins

tugboatjulie

Looks like we'll be cruising to Coz. and Progreso.

I really want to see Merida while in Progreso, so I guess ruins are out there.

Any closer ruins to Coz than the ferry/bus options? I'm wanting a taste of the Mayan ruins, too...any ideas!?

Anything close enough to do Merida and ruins while in Progreso??

(My DH can't survive the ferry, I"m sure.)

I saw Calica is good for Tulum w/o ferry but what cruises go there? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks again!!! Julie

There are ruins on Cozumel, but I understand that they are not nearly as spectacular as the ruins on the mainland.

http://www.cozumelparks.com should have more information. Look for "San Gervasio".

Maybe calls at Calica are called "Cancun" or "Playa del Carmen"? I'm a cruise rookie, so I'm not sure.

The ruins at Uxmal should be close to Merida. I went there about 20+ years ago when I was in college. The day after a raging party with some Mexican university students. So I don't remember too much about them.

I have been to Coba, and it was very spectacular. But you may not have enough time from Calica to really enjoy it? I'm not sure.

You should also be able to see ruins from Costa Maya/Majahual once it reopens or Belize.

Any closer ruins to Coz than the ferry/bus options? I'm wanting a taste of the Mayan ruins, too...any ideas!?

I saw Calica is good for Tulum w/o ferry but what cruises go there? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks again!!! Julie

Go to the ruins in Progreso. It's convenient and they are spectacular. Chinchiniza is fantastic and it is a over a 2 hour ride each way from Cancun. The ruins on Cozemel can't compare to Merida or Chinchiniza. Tulum is beautiful, right on the water but MUCH smaller than Progresso or Chinchiniza.

We have been to all four. Our choice would be:

1.Chinchiniza

2. Merida

3. Tulum

4. Cozemel

There is even a very small ruin site on Cancun Island that you can easily get to on your own taking the Cancun bus system.

Thanks again!!! Julie

Of these 2 ports, Progreso is the one for a ruins tour. Dzibalchaltun and Uxmal are easily done from there with several small ruins like Xcambo available also.

There are some small ruins on Cozumel if you "have" to go to Merida. San Gervasio can be had by taxi and you can hire a guide when you get there.

Archived