Dry dock QM2

cruzadict

As has been explained to me in another thread, the QM2 is going into dry dock end October/beg November. Does anyone know what work is being done to her. We are travelling on 19th December so maybe we will see some changes. Many thanks

We were on the QM2 November of '06 and she just came from dry dock having a pod replaced and bridge wings lengthened. I think she is scheduled every couple of years to have her hull cleaned and repainted. Last November '07 we where on her and her hull really looked like patchwork and in need of a fresh coat of paint. Although I do not know for sure it probably is just a scheduled maintenance.

Steve

Pity that it is just a spruce up of paint . I would like to see the following"

TV's hung on wall, this would give more space on "dressing table"

TV's to include DVD's , which could be booked out at library (as on other cruise lines). We could then have other entertainment than the very old films shown on the QM circuit. Also would provide entertainment for those passengers who do not go ashore, at present we are ignored on port days.

Hair dryers that are NOT FIXED inside a drawer , this precludes using the drawer for storage, and is IMO not very safe (I touched the dryer and it started up, very unsafe) Other lines have dryers that the passenger can use by plugging in

I am sure other passengers have other wishes.

I have been told that you may see some serious changes as well as simply cosmetic "nip and tucks". The following was mentioned during a discussion onboard QM2 a few months ago............. plans change all the time.......... but here we go anyway.

The boardwalk cafe area (deck 12) is supposedly going to be enclosed with a glass roof and walls................ anyone who has experienced this area could only agree that this would be a major improvement. (I have witnessed food literally being blown off plates!!!)

An experiment to enclose some of the hull balconies has also been considered. This would replace the opening with a solid glass window and then the cabin would be extended into the "balcony" to create a larger living space.

Again, the winter garden ........... which seems to be a "problem child" could also come in for some alteration...... to improve its function and appeal. A really nice space that only seems to get used for the annoying art auctions...... (I would happily eliminate these altogether, along with the tacky foyer sales of assorted junk)

Anyway, guess we will just have to wait and see how many $$$ will be invested and where!:D

Cya

I forgot the Winter Garden , I agree with Emu, this could be a geat area, spoilt now by the so called Art Auction (these are not art at all of course simply prints , not unlike those sold in stores like Walmart) I hope that they do re think the use of this area. It would not necessarily need lots of $$$ rather a re think by the Entertainment Dept. of how to use rather than a remake.

We were on QM2 16 July until 28th July. We were lucky enough to have dinner with the Hotel Director and he told us that the dry dock will consist of a general 'deep clean', changing some carpets in common areas - and each cabin will be assesed for cleaning/any damaged items that need repairs. He said there would not be any structural changes.

Apparently, the main reason the ship needs to go into dock is to replace/repair the pods - so that's why they are also taking the opportunity to have a general spruce-up.

An experiment to enclose some of the hull balconies has also been considered. This would replace the opening with a solid glass window and then the cabin would be extended into the "balcony" to create a larger living space.

This change should be made only if passengers can open this new window to enable fresh air. Something like the 'French-door balcony' found in Seabourn cabins - just an window instead of a door in this case.

Differently, God forbid!...

Before booking one of these in-hull cabins I had bad impressions about them. Cage-like, full of steel, wet and warm in the Caribbean, restricting brightness inside the cabin...

After travelling in one of them, and having also travelled on a plexiglas railing cabin, I was pleasantly suprised. They are not that bad: The above setbacks are much milder than I had thought. And contrary to the plexiglas cabins they have great privacy, nice protection from the wind, direct access to sea view below, and the balcony is bigger. Certainly I missed a lot sea views when sitting, but otherwise the product is acceptable in its own right.

So Cunard, if you are reading this, please keep your money and do not spend it in downgrading those cabins to standard outsides!:) These sheltered cabins are definitely better than just oceanviews, even with large windows and space. Mr Payne deserves special praise for designing them.

On the contrary, if you are determined to change them (not necessary in my humble view...), just cut the steel 20 inches lower, to enable sea views when sitting. That would make them flawless.

Just my two cents' words...:)

This change should be made only if passengers can open this new window to enable fresh air. Something like the 'French-door balcony' found in Seabourn cabins - just an window instead of a door in this case.

Before booking one of these in-hull cabins I had bad impressions about them. Cage-like, full of steel, wet and warm in the Caribbean, restricting brightness inside the cabin...

After travelling in one of them, and having also travelled on a plexiglas railing cabin, I was pleasantly suprised. They are not that bad: The above setbacks are much milder than I had thought. And contrary to the plexiglas cabins they have great privacy, nice protection from the wind, direct access to sea view below, and the balcony is bigger. Certainly I missed a lot sea views when sitting, but otherwise the product is acceptable in its own right.

So Cunard, if you are reading this, please keep your money and do not spend it in downgrading those cabins to standard outsides!:) These sheltered cabins are definitely better than just oceanviews, even with large windows and space. Mr Payne deserves special praise for designing them.

On the contrary, if you are determined to change them (not necessary in my humble view...), just cut the steel 20 inches lower, to enable sea views when sitting. That would make them flawless.

Thanks for this information. I am just considering a transatlantic crossing and was wondering if paying the extra for a glass balcony over the hull cabins would work out OK as I was also a bit worried about it being a bit dark.

I think I may save the extra and book some spa treatments instead!

Tracey

Thanks for this information. I am just considering a transatlantic crossing and was wondering if paying the extra for a glass balcony over the hull cabins would work out OK as I was also a bit worried about it being a bit dark.

I think I may save the extra and book some spa treatments instead!

Tracey

What a great idea, I agree absolutely !

On my recent TA (16 Jul sailing) the RADA group and the resident harpist did a little program in the Winter Garden called (something like) "Hearts and Harps" which was a reading of love poetry with harp interludes.

While I'm more a late night G32 type person, I was completely taken by how talented the RADA "kids" were at the workshops and Romeo and Juliet performance. So I went to Winter Garden and was quite entertained by the reading. The only scheduling issue is the event was at the time before second seating dinner when we were usually enjoying the view from Commodore. But enjoying the Winter Garden was a mighty fine substitute.

• 1 month later...

Now that it is less than a month till QM2 goes in for her 'nip & tuck' I was just wondering if anybody has any more information about what work they might actually be doing to her?

So far their are rumours around the Boardwalk Cafe area & the Hull Balconies.... someone must have a little inside info ;)

I am on her first sailing post refit (15 Nov westbound TA) and am very curious as to what, if anything new we'll see onboard! At the very least she should be looking clean & refreshed and hopefully ship-shape. Just hoping whatever they do, she's ready ontime!

Well any info would be great!

PS: Any one else on this sailing? I have started a roll call - counting down the days!

I read your comment with great interest. I've been reading a lot of opinions about the hull vs. plexiglass balconies on the QM2. On any of our previous cruises, we only booked staterooms with plexiglass balconies (DCL and Carnival Legend). We booked a hull balcony for our first QM2 cruise next year. I was starting to second guess that decision, but to upgrade to an A balcony, it owuld mean an additional grand at least. The A3s are al astern, so we either go with that of cough up more bucks for an A2. But if all I'm really missing is being able to see out while sitting, I can probably live with that.

I was starting to second guess that decision, but to upgrade to an A balcony, it owuld mean an additional grand at least. The A3s are al astern, so we either go with that of cough up more bucks for an A2. But if all I'm really missing is being able to see out while sitting, I can probably live with that.

I agree with you. The A-category cabins are not worth the extra money if you don't mind missing the view while sitting. You can use the extra money to get more from your cruise.

Moreover, in-hull cabins are less prone to pitching and rolling, as they are lower than the plexiglas railing cabins. On our recent Caribbean cruise we had virtually no problem at our B3 cabin, but two friends occupying a plexiglas cabin on Deck 11 had much to complain.

Plus, we enjoyed our direct access to the sea, instead of looking down to the promenade, as it happened on our previous cruise at a plexiglas balcony cabin. As the weather was generally good, we also left the door open at night to hear the splashing waves...

And if you travel on a transatlantic crossing, you will appreciate how well they are protected by strong winds, something that the plexiglas balcony cabins cannot boast.

I have sailed on QM2 six time and always use the in hull balcony cabins. I do not find any light loss and at sea the balcony is really sheltered from the wind. It would, IMO, be a retrograde step if cunard enclose these cabins, in fact, if structurally possible, I would like to see the holes made slighty gigger so that you have a better view when seated.

Is it just a rumor about enclosing sheltered balconies? :eek: We love them just the way they are. Also, If they were cut lower, they would need safety bars that would be expensive and cancel any visual advantage.

I just booked four 'sheltered' staterooms midships on deck 5 for the April 14th Crossing.. They are perfect for location, stability, quiet, light and fresh air...especially the sound of the waves at night.

BTW, there are also A-3's forward on deck 8...not just aft as stated previously. For our Westbound return we ended up booking a 'obstructed balcony (8018)', rather than the A-3 (8002) first offered, because the A-3 was only 8 cabins away and almost $1k more. That will cover our wine and bar tab nicely! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Bob & Beatrice

I have sailed on QM2 six time and always use the in hull balcony cabins. I do not find any light loss and at sea the balcony is really sheltered from the wind. It would, IMO, be a retrograde step if cunard enclose these cabins, in fact, if structurally possible, I would like to see the holes made slighty gigger so that you have a better view when seated.

Yes, enclosing those cabins would be a pity. The ideal thing to do would be to make the holes slightly bigger to enable some view when sitting.

In case this is too expensive to do, I think they should leave the in-hull cabins as they are. Although they do not perhaps befit a luxury liner, they are acceptable in their own right. And they can always be justified by the furious gales that the QM2 faces on the North Atlantic.

It is reported in other forums that enclosing the lowest of the in-hull cabins is required for safety reasons. Unfortunately I am not an expert in technical issues, but, instead of enclosing the balconies, I would prefer to see for example the balcony doors and their glass strenghtened, and the doors kept locked during a gale, just as the Deck 5 cabins on the QE2 had their portholes closed during bad weather.

Again, my two cents' words...

The boardwalk cafe area (deck 12) is supposedly going to be enclosed with a glass roof and walls................ anyone who has experienced this area could only agree that this would be a major improvement. (I have witnessed food literally being blown off plates!!!)

Cya

As I recall, this idea had been proposed a few years ago, but it was allegedly rejected on the grounds that the ship would become too heavy and unable to enter the port of Hamburg, Germany. And with the love that the German public has shown to the Queen, this would not be recommended.:)

If it could eventually materialize, this perhaps would be a better place for a proper Winter Garden (like that of the QV) than its current location. I don't have anything against the Winter Garden now, but it has been boring to see constant complaints against it...

Anyway, this is just speculation. Isn't there anyone to have some real inside info?

Robert - thanks for putting my mind at ease. I understood the advantages for a transatlantic. The response seemed to be overwhelming for the advantages of the hull balcony there. i was just second guessing a hull balcony for a Caribbean trip. I think the only time we ever sat on our balcony was for breakfast in the morning for the few times we ordered room service. Most of the other times I sat on my balcony was at night to read a little before going to bed. Couldn't see anything at night anyway. That's not enough of a reason to substantiate the additional cost.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, enclosing those cabins would be a pity. The ideal thing to do would be to make the holes slightly bigger to enable some view when sitting.

In case this is too expensive to do, I think they should leave the in-hull cabins as they are. Although they do not perhaps befit a luxury liner, they are acceptable in their own right. they can always be justified by the furious gales that the QM2 faces on the North Atlantic.

It is reported in other forums that enclosing the lowest of the in-hull cabins is required for safety reasons. Unfortunately I am not an expert in technical issues, but, instead of enclosing the balconies, I would prefer to see for example the balcony doors and their glass strenghtened, and the doors kept locked during a gale, just as the Deck 5 cabins on the QE2 had their portholes closed during bad weather.

Again, my two cents' words...

The hull balconies are unique to the QM2 and very nice in any weather. We went to the Caribbean and they never were too hot, however, on our thirteen day trip, we had many days that were too windy for any other balcony. As far as not seeing, that is easy enough, and very inexpensive, to remedy--just get taller chairs ( even if the chairs were to be borrowed from the Golden Lion Pub bar).

The hull balconies are unique to the QM2 and very nice in any weather. We went to the Caribbean and they never were too hot, however, on our thirteen day trip, we had many days that were too windy for any other balcony. As far as not seeing, that is easy enough, and very inexpensive, to remedy--just get taller chairs ( even if the chairs were to be borrowed from the Golden Lion Pub bar).

Greetings, fellow cruiser! We were also in this cruise and, like you, had a nice in-hull balcony, which we enjoyed a lot.:)

And this despite warnings that in-hull balconies, although ideal for transatlantic crossings, are not suitable for Caribbean cruises.

As to the weather, the balcony was nice not only on windy days, but when pitching and rolling. Cabins higher at the ship reporterdly suffered a bit, but we had no problem.

Of course, Cunard should check if higher chairs would solve the problem of seeing some view while seated. But in any case, the balconies are just fine as they are!

Archived