Mayan ruins on your own? etc.

tugboatjulie

Anyone do Tulum or Chichen Izta on your own? Any tips? -

Only while on land vacation in Cozumel

Is it really 4 hrs one way? But worth it? -

Ferry is 45 minutes, and Tulum is about 1.5 hours, Chichen Itza is a bit further.

Ferry is rough and will cause someone prone to motion sickness to get sick? Does Bonine work for that? -

Ferry can be rough, and Bonine works for many folks, however, drowsiness varies from person to person. (w/o drowsiness?)

If you're on a cruise, I would suggest taking the ship sponsored tour. if on a land vacation in Cozumel, there are a number of ways to do this, including local tour operators, or taking the ferry across, and taking a bus to Tulum. :)

Back in 2006, Bonine worked fine. Hey, I'm a poet!

Did you see my post over on First Time Cruisers? There's ruins on Cozumel, but the mainland has better ones.

I've been to Tulum before, when my wife & I were spending a week in Playa del Carmen. I went with a tour operator out of Playa who starts up early in the morning before the cruise ship groups pulled in.

Once the cruise ship groups pulled in, it was quite crowded there; at least compared to when we first got there and there were.

Here's some out-of-focus pictures of Tulum and Cozumel.

http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/28138-juanitos-trip-report-bad-pictures-2.html

No matter where you go there, it will be hot. Take lots of water, a hat and sunscreen.

Maybe your cruise line has tours of some of the less well-known ruins? Maybe Progreso would be better, because the ruins closer to there don't get the crowds from Cancun?

Anyone do Tulum or Chichen Izta on your own? Any tips?

Is it really 4 hrs one way? But worth it?

Ferry is rough and will cause someone prone to motion sickness to get sick? Does Bonine work for that? (w/o drowsiness?)

#1 Don't do it on your own unless you are prepared to be stuck in Playa del Carmen.

#2 The tour takes so long because of the ferry and bus rides and the dumb stop at the tourist trap shop. The way to avoid this would be to do it on your own, but see #1.

#3 The ferry is rough and not for those prone to motion sickness.

Worth it? Not from Cozumel unless you will never be back to the Yucatan and the Tulum ruins are something you feel you must see. This tour would be much better from the mainland.

Archived