B&Bs in Dover

:) You will probably get better responses on the British Isles thread...we are staying in DOver aug 28 and aug 29 at a BnB but this is our 1st time there and I dont feel comfortable suggesting ours..however, if you have no luck I will be glad to tell you where we will be staying...good luck..

We are arriving a day prior to the cruise. Can anyone recommend a B&B ? Thanks in advance !! :)

:) I have reservations here in Aug and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here..we will have 2days pre-cruise and planning a Canterbury outing for one of these days...Can you tell me more about the BnB and if you bought any supplies to take with you on board..Did you see a Somerfield store in DOver? Did you also get discount tickets from the owner? thanks

We stayed at the East Lee Guest House in Dover, located 1/2 block from the National Express bus station (we took National Express from London). This was a wonderful B&B, read my report on www.tripadvisor.com. Just type in the B&B name and it will bring up reviews.

We did not notice a Somerfield store (not sure what type of store this is), but then we did not want to purchase anything to bring with us on board. From the view of the bus, there is a small (strip like) shopping mall which might not be too far from the guest house. There is an excellent fish and chip store about a block away - Castle street, I think.

Since we arrived fairly late on a Thursday, there was little open in Dover, we did a quick walk around the central area after touring the Dover Castle - which is a must see. The B&B did provide us with some discount tickets for the castle and a few restaurants. Since we wanted fish and chips, we didn't use the restaurant coupons.

You can walk to the Castle from the Guest House (about 20 minutes) but it is a fairly steep walk, but very lovely just the same.

The Knights ordered a taxi for us to the port - it is too long to walk there especially with luggage.

THe B&B itself is well located, (near the bus station) and beautifully decorated with antiques, quilts - quite charming (will appeal to the female half of your group). The bathroom is a good size, spotlessly clean with shower (no bath). If you have ordered breakfast with your room, you will be pleased with presentation, quality and quantity of the food. It is a good hearty breakfast (eggs, bacon, cereals, juice, coffee). Great service from Patricia and Michael Knight, who have been doing this for 30 years. After our room in London, the time we spent at the East Lee was a delight.

We stayed at the West Bank Guest House. Very nice and clean but a little farther up on Folkstone. Friendly owners, great breakfast.

We had dinner at one of the Weatherspoon Pub (Eight Bells?) in Dover. Served very good and inexpensive food.

Hi,

We are staying at the East Lee Guest House on the 16th and 17th. We have never stayed there before, but our communication with the owners was great and we decided to take a chance. I don't think we will be disappointed.

We also arrived in Dover the night before our cruise. We stayed at Maison Dieu B&B http://www.maisondieu.com/. It is right on the main street, a two minute walk from the National Express bus station. This B&B was lovely. The owners Di and Barry were very welcoming and made us feel at home. We arrived at 9pm and they brought us coffee and tea promptly. The B&B is well maintained, especially compared to our London hotel. It is close to Dover Castle which we toured before embarking on the ship around 1pm. Don't miss the castle and hidden war tunnels!

Were you able to se the White Cliffs of Dover ? If so, how close were they to your B&B ? When we stay the day there before the cruise that's one site I really want to see and am looking for a B&B close to them . How far a taxi riade was it to the port ? Thanks !!

Did you see a Somerfield store in DOver? thanks

The Somerfield store in Dover is half a block away from the city center. It is to the north-east of the old church. You can see a map towards the bottom of the following web site or ask anyone when you go into town. It is a large supermarket where you will find all you may want, including wine, beer and liquor.

http://www.*****.com/Dover.html

Were you able to se the White Cliffs of Dover ? If so, how close were they to your B&B ? When we stay the day there before the cruise that's one site I really want to see and am looking for a B&B close to them . How far a taxi riade was it to the port ? Thanks !!

You can't miss the cliffs, especially as you sail away. Walk to the water's edge or Dover Castle to see them too. (That was a ten minute walk). We took at taxi from our B&B to the port. It was about 7 minutes drive and cost 5 pounds.

Archived