Locking Luggage

Can we lock our luggage once we get out of the airport? I have read storys on here about people getting bullied by the baggage handlers at the ports, and one more method of security would go a long way. Please let me know the best way to avoid a troubling situation with the handlers, and whether or not locked luggage is allowed to go on board (unlike air travel).

Duck's correct...tip the porters at the pier who take your luggage. Last I saw, it was $1 per piece of luggage; however, I've always tipped $2. If I had, say 3 pieces, I'd tip $5. They've always been very nice to me, never rude.

Carnival does suggest that you lock your luggage before handing it over. Those guys are not Carnival employees, but are employed by the port authority of that city.

YOu can also lock your luggage while your flying. Pretty much any store that carries padlocks you can find TSA locks. these are combination locks that have a key for entry also. You will not get the key with the lock set. You set the combination and if TSA "sees" something they want to check out more, they have a universal key to unlock it and then they lock it back. There are those on here who say they never lock their luggage and that it is futile, but being a member of law enforcement for more that 20 years...deterent is the key. Yes even with locks people can still get into your luggage and steal things. But a thief will more times than others go for the easy target. going into luggage thru the zipper of a locked back should raise a red flag, or cutting the bag open.....or cutting the lock...all flags that something is wrong. Locking your luggage just as you lock your car or your house is always the best policy.

Never locked my luggage, never been bullied by a porter and never had a problem.

If you feel more comforatable to lock it then lock it before you board the ship.......If they really wanted it bad enough they would take the whole peice of luggag IMO.........

Never locked my luggage, never been bullied by a porter and never had a problem.

If you feel more comforatable to lock it then lock it before you board the ship.......If they really wanted it bad enough they would take the whole peice of luggag IMO.........

For me, it's about preventing crime of opportunity and more importantly the zipper getting caught and my dainties ending up all over the pier.

Zipties are more then sufficient.

YOu can also lock your luggage while your flying. Pretty much any store that carries padlocks you can find TSA locks. these are combination locks that have a key for entry also. You will not get the key with the lock set. You set the combination and if TSA "sees" something they want to check out more, they have a universal key to unlock it and then they lock it back. There are those on here who say they never lock their luggage and that it is futile, but being a member of law enforcement for more that 20 years...deterent is the key. Yes even with locks people can still get into your luggage and steal things. But a thief will more times than others go for the easy target. going into luggage thru the zipper of a locked back should raise a red flag, or cutting the bag open.....or cutting the lock...all flags that something is wrong. Locking your luggage just as you lock your car or your house is always the best policy.

I absolutely agree that locking luggage is a deterrent. The DW has been a flight attendant for twenty years and has recently started locking her flight bags. Several of her co-workers have had their wallets and other belongings taken out of them while they were working the flights. Their flight bags are usually placed together and kept near the jump seats and yet things have been stolen. All in plain sight of at least a few dozen passengers and crew.

Before you leave, go to WalMart (or wherever) and buy a 3-pack of the new "TSA Approved" locks and put them on your luggage before leaving for the airport and take 'em off when you get to your stateroom!!!! We tip porters $3 a single bag or $5 for 2 bags. ken

I purchased TSA locks at Wal-Mart that are not combination but have a key. On the lock is a number code that alerts TSA officials to which key they need to use. We will lock our bags while flying.

Can we lock our luggage once we get out of the airport? I have read storys on here about people getting bullied by the baggage handlers at the ports, and one more method of security would go a long way. Please let me know the best way to avoid a troubling situation with the handlers, and whether or not locked luggage is allowed to go on board (unlike air travel).

First off, you don't get "bullied" unless you don't offer a tip. Anyone who handles your luggage for you deserves one, so plan on 1-2.00 a bag...it's the same as you might tip a Skycap at the airport or a bellman at a hotel.

As for your concern about locking luggage....it is not required. I never lock mine - ever - no matter where I'm going. I figure is somebody really wants to root around my suitcase, I'd rather they use the zippers rather than slice it open with a box cutter. Never pack anything in your suitcase of value. I always pack with the idea that I'll never see anything again.

That being said, I have 200+ cruises under my belt and hundreds of trips abroad over 30 years. I've never had anything stolen, never had any suitcase vandalized or damaged.

Whether you lock your luggage or not is up to you. Keep in mind, however, that for a thief, a heavy suitcase locked up like Fort Knox is a bigger target than a smaller, lighter suitcase with no locks.

As for those longshoremen who handle baggage at the ports; might there be a rotten apple now and then? Sure! But, for the most part, they are simply doing their job - loading thousands of suitcases on the ship. Personally, I've never run into any rudeness, bullying or anything else....ever.

I lock mine....

Especially after watching the HBO Documentary Ganga Queen.. about the girl that (claims) someone stached drugs in her luggage on her way to Bali.. I think she's doing 20yrs :eek: :eek: :eek: OK Dramatic I know... but still.. I lock mine..

Always lock mine with zip ties. As said, if someone wants in bad enough, they'll get in. Why make it easy. Of those who've had items "stolen" from their suit cases, I wonder how many of them had locks?? I'd love to hear from a few of those folks.

just recently i was told from a friend that there were a bunch of idiots fired from newark airport for stealing from checked bags, so yeah, there are tons of shady people that do steal.it happens every day unfortunately.. never put anything valuable in checked bags...

i went to home depot and bought yellow zip-ties, this way if they cut it at the pier, i'll know, because it'll be replaced by a clear one that's not marked by me.

Archived