Island Girl daysail?

dcrow72

• 3 weeks later...
Let us know if how you liked the Island Girl!!! We loved it!

We loved our day with Island Girl! The first mate, Andrew, was from Oklahoma like we are. We had a great time with him and Cpt. Mike. We did a full day and we were glad we did. The first stop was a little crowded with other boats but then we went around to the other side and we were practically by ourselves. We used the little scooters in the water and they were great. We got back on the boat and they made us a fabulous lunch. It was such a relaxing day and it was our favorite stop of the whole trip. We saw lots of fish, turtles and other little creatures. They took us right back to the pier where our ship was and we did a little shopping and then headed back! It was nice not to have to drive anywhere, just got picked up right there. You do have to climb up a ladder getting back on the boat but you hand them your gear and they help you get back up in the boat. Not a problem at all.

Has anybody successfully taken Island girl to St. John? We have visited most of the major sights of St. Thomas at this point and would really like to sail to St. John on an uncrowded boat. It sounds like Island Girl is perfect for us, but generally only sails to St. Thomas sites. Any shared advice/experiences would be appreciated!

this is a question my wife would like to know is there any on Island girl. Is there any shade area on it

The entire area where the captian steers the boat from is covered with an awning. There are seats all around the edge of that same area that are shaded. That's where we sat for most of the sail. Plenty of room too.

If you look at the website you will see it in the photos.

• 3 months later...

I have a couple of questions: Is there any beach area that you can swim to or is all the time spent snorkeling? About how much snorkeling time do you get? It sounds like a nice excursion. Is the cove somewhat protected if I have someone in my group who sometimes gets nervous of what might be in the ocean with them in deep water? :) Also, much of a current in that area? We will have our young adult daughters with us and want to be careful. We went on a private daysail in the past and actually were swept into a current when in open water even though we are both strong swimmers - that was ok with just the two of us - but need to be careful when we have others along with us.

Thanks!

We were on the daysail on the same trip as Joeybun --- There was not a strong current ..... And, as we worked our way toward a particular area, Andrew was keeping a close eye on our safety by guiding us away from some areas ... well before I felt like there as any danger.

On the half-day sail, it seems like we were in the water about 45-60 minutes? Joeybun, do you remember?

Thanks - sounds like they do a better job than most supervising the tourists :) I grew up in the water in Florida and knew how to get myself out of the current....I would hate to think what might have happened to someone else on that trip.

Thanks for the info!

• 4 weeks later...
The ladder is like a step ladder over the side. They help you on your way up by taking your equipment, etc. If you can climb stairs, you can do this. Only issue for me was they didn't put that out when you got into the water. You jump!

You jump!!! Wouldn't they put the ladder if you asked? We're on the brink of booking this trip but I'm not sure I could jump into deep water and that just might be the deciding factor.

We also had to jump in the water on our daysail. It took my mom five minutes to muster up the courage. The crew mate told her she wouldn't go under as she was wearing a blow up vest. However, she did go down and the water covered her head by about five feet. She thought she would drown and began to panic when she arose to the top so then he handed her a noodle. After that she said she would not go on another daysail.

My 10 year old daughter gets carsick, especially driving down windy mountain roads and in stop and go traffic. WOuld I be crazy to think about sailing with her? Definitely not worth the $75 if she is in a fetal position on the deck of the boat.:confused:

My 10 year old daughter gets carsick, especially driving down windy mountain roads and in stop and go traffic. WOuld I be crazy to think about sailing with her? Definitely not worth the $75 if she is in a fetal position on the deck of the boat.:confused:

Sorry to say she probably will. My mom was feeling nauseous even after taking Bonine for a few days before that. I hadn't taken any and I did throw up. It was kind of embarrassing but the captain was nice about it.

The only thing worse than being seasick is having to share an expensive excursion with others that are. Take a friggin' bonine even if you don't think you need it, or better yet, stay away from free floating vessels.

Our last daysail was shared with a woman who got sick endlessly for the entire sail, and kept insisting that the captain "sail the boat slower". Get real, people. It's the ocean, not Disneyland. They can't just stop the ride and let you off.

Boy, people who get seasick and don't take meds first really boil my potatoes!:mad:

Archived