Whole Wheat Bagels....

sail7seas

Krispy Kreme opened one store in our area about 3 1/2 years ago. They closed about 2 years ago. Went broke.

Same here .

Ours opened a few years back they made such a to do about it. The first few days it was like a Hollywood premiere . You couldn't get near the place. Today there is never anyone there, but the Dunkin Donuts up the street is always hopping.

For me unless ,bagels are made in a real bagelshop the old fashioned way, I just don't care for them. Brueggers is one chain that does a really good bagel.

Amongst the bagel affectionados, "the old fashioned way" is a matter of preference and definition. I spent a number of years traveling from NC to NY on a regular basis and as part of those travels, I dropped into a bagel retailer and picked up a dose of bagels to bring home, some of which were shared. No question, in my mind, that the bagels were better than anything I could get here. But now that I'm not making regular trips to NY, I don't know. I also experienced a similar experience before Coors was distributed throughout the US. There was a time that it was only available in certain parts of the US, and when I went there, I'd bring a case back. Now it's available pretty much everywhere. I grew my beer teeth on Coors.

We eat only whole wheat bread, whole wheat bagels, whole wheat pasta (I've bought the one with flax seed...just can't remember the brand name!), smart balance spread, yams instead of white potatoes, etc.

I've been more careful about this than DH...he's been somewhat difficult to convert to "smart choices." But, having had to go into MGH two weeks ago for a cardiac cath, and having a stent put in (after the findings of a 90-95% blockage in one artery), he's finally listening to what I've been telling him!

I hope HAL gets on board with the healthy choices many of us are trying to make.

I was just thinking about whether they would have organic milk, 100 % fruit juice...I am sure they do not, but I just am used to certain things esp for the kids. One week will not ruin us:)

My guess is no Organic Milk. I try my best to cook and eat healthy and buy as many organic products as I can fit in our budget. I have always cooked from scratch and buy very little packaged or prepared foods. However, my budget does not allow all organic products. To eat healthy is VERY expensive. I would not expect a mass market cruiseline to be able to provide us with the type of meals I would like. I accepted that on our first cruise in June. I will say that HAL did have a good selection of whole grain breads on our cruise.

Sheila.......

Sorry to hear your DH was in MGH for a stent but I DO KNOW he got excellent care. I certainly have plenty of 'history' there. Hope he's doing well.

How good his blockage was found before he had a major event.

And, yes........ he may consider switching to a few of the foods you mention.

. I accepted that on our first cruise in June. I will say that HAL did have a good selection of whole grain breads on our cruise.

That's fabulous to hear. What ship? I have seen wheat bread but not many that are whole wheat or whole grain. Maybe they are 'hearing us'.

We eat only whole wheat bread, whole wheat bagels, whole wheat pasta (I've bought the one with flax seed...just can't remember the brand name!), smart balance spread, yams instead of white potatoes, etc.

I've been more careful about this than DH...he's been somewhat difficult to convert to "smart choices." But, having had to go into MGH two weeks ago for a cardiac cath, and having a stent put in (after the findings of a 90-95% blockage in one artery), he's finally listening to what I've been telling him!

I hope HAL gets on board with the healthy choices many of us are trying to make.

My brother underwent the same procedure. He is now enjoying good health.It was a total wake up call for him. Family history,stressful career(lawyer) not paying as much attention to "smart choices" as he should found him facing cardiac issues.

Luckily modern medicine can detect these blockages and prevent damaging heart attacks. Good Luck and Health to you both!:)

My cholesterol was off the hook enough that I had to take pills and I changed to the wheat products (including things like Cheerio's) and the pasta and instead of a slight change it dropped impressively. Still take the pills but it is way down to normal. Now I try to fit the good stuff in wherever it doesn't impact taste and find that balance. The other good news is my husband ate the same as I did and lost weight and his blood pressure dropped and cholesterol lowered within 4 months of eating well and exercising. They are considering taking him off the blood pressure medicine and they already cut it in half. He will turn 47 in September and I am older than that and not telling. LOL

It really does mean something to make some adjustments when and where you can. Besides that is the trend even in the best of fine dining establishments.

My cholesterol was off the hook enough that I had to take pills and I changed to the wheat products (including things like Cheerio's) and the pasta and instead of a slight change it dropped impressively. Still take the pills but it is way down to normal. Now I try to fit the good stuff in wherever it doesn't impact taste and find that balance. The other good news is my husband ate the same as I did and lost weight and his blood pressure dropped and cholesterol lowered within 4 months of eating well and exercising. They are considering taking him off the blood pressure medicine and they already cut it in half. He will turn 47 in September and I am older than that and not telling. LOL

It really does mean something to make some adjustments when and where you can. Besides that is the trend even in the best of fine dining establishments.

Well done.!!!!!!:)

It is the trend and that is another reason I urge HAL to accomodate those of us who want to continue our healthy diets while aboard.

We cruise too many weeks a year to eat unhealthful foods while aboard. We have become accustomed to the more healful versions of foods I've mentioned and those are the ones that taste good to us now. The other tastes like paste.....white flour and water makes paste.

Are you serious?

Why would they put sugar in everyone's coffee? There are so many of us who don't touch sugar.

No,No,No, No.............. NO SUGAR. Black, no sugar. I can't stand sugar in coffee.

No, sugar is in the iced coffee....all sorts of nasty syrups and the blended iced coffee has a fair bit of sugar too. Hot coffee for sure you can get without sugar and black but not the iced stuff.

Are you serious?

Why would they put sugar in everyone's coffee? There are so many of us who don't touch sugar.

No,No,No, No.............. NO SUGAR. Black, no sugar. I can't stand sugar in coffee.

I have to remember every trip to Canada to order my coffee black and filled to the top. If you don't say 'black' you get cream and sugar automatically. A CC member told me how to order in Canada. When you say 'filled to the top' it reminds the person not to put in milk and sugar.

Just to be sure, I say 'no sugar'.

I have to remember every trip to Canada to order my coffee black and filled to the top. If you don't say 'black' you get cream and sugar automatically. A CC member told me how to order in Canada. When you say 'filled to the top' it reminds the person not to put in milk and sugar.

Just to be sure, I say 'no sugar'.

Around here if you say "regular" you get cream and a hint or sugar

if you say "cream and sugar" You get put into a diabetic coma :(

I always say "just cream" and then add sugar myself with the packets

My guess is no Organic Milk. I try my best to cook and eat healthy and buy as many organic products as I can fit in our budget. I have always cooked from scratch and buy very little packaged or prepared foods. However, my budget does not allow all organic products. To eat healthy is VERY expensive. I would not expect a mass market cruiseline to be able to provide us with the type of meals I would like. I accepted that on our first cruise in June. I will say that HAL did have a good selection of whole grain breads on our cruise.

I totally understand. I try to buy organic items on sale for the most part. The only exception is the milk because we drink so much of it. Our local grocery store here has a private label brand of organic products called Full Circle. They put items on sale pretty regularly and it makes it really affordable. As for the cruise, Horizon Organic has these milk boxes that are in special packaging that allows the milk to be stored at room temperature. It goes through an ultrapasteurization process and the packaging has something special in it...I am skeptical but I know they would not be able to sell them if people got sick! I will probably throw some in a bag and let the girls drink that. My husband and I can do the real stuff for a while;) !

We make iced coffee by brewing coffee, putting it into the frig until it is chilled and pouring over ice. Then people can add whatever they wish. I add nothing.

Actually I was referring to your post where you said you go to Dunkin' donuts for iced coffee. Can you get it without sugar there?

Actually I was referring to your post where you said you go to Dunkin' donuts for iced coffee. Can you get it without sugar there?

Absolutely, yes. We can get it that way in any restaurant that has iced coffee. Not all restaurants do. That is what is expected when we ask for iced coffee. If you want cream or sugar, you put it in yourself.

When I want an iced coffee in Dunkin Donuts, I simply ask for medium or large, black iced coffee and that is what I get. Plain brewed, chilled coffee with nothing else in the cup except ice ....and a straw. :)

Last summer I wanted an iced coffee from Explorations Cafe on Maasdam.

I asked the steward if they had it and he said, No problem. I'll make it for you. Happy I watched because what he started to do (before I stopped him :rolleyes:) was to take hot coffee (freshly brewed), take a cup and proceed to fill it with ice. I asked him to stop before he 'poured' as I knew he was going to pour the steamy hot coffee over the ice to chill it and call it iced coffee.

Of course, all that would produce is a watery mess of brown water. It would take so much ice to chill that hot coffee that there would be no coffee taste left.

Absolutely, yes. We can get it that way in any restaurant that has iced coffee. Not all restaurants do. That is what is expected when we ask for iced coffee. If you want cream or sugar, you put it in yourself.

When I want an iced coffee in Dunkin Donuts, I simply ask for medium or large, black iced coffee and that is what I get. Plain brewed, chilled coffee with nothing else in the cup except ice ....and a straw. :)

Interesting......I didn't know such an option existed. I think it would be hard to get that here.....

Archived