Shore Excursions for the Elderly

CruisinMominMaine

Hello All,

Just a quick question. When we go on the Glory on January 1, 2005, we (my 48 year old mom and 41 year old aunt) will be bringing my grandmother (71) with us. Gram is in good health, but I think that a lot of walking would be too much for her. She refuses to sit in a wheelchair and normally she really doesn't need one, but I am thinking about if we have to walk long distances. I have pretty much accepted that there will be no scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, etc. in my future for the ports, but what do you think would be appropriate to do. We visit Cozumel, Belize City, Progresso, and Key West. I have been to Key West before and we will probably just rent one of those little car's again to tour the city. Thanks for any help and input.

Rachel

In Cozumel you can hop a cab and take her to the last shop on the strip, Los Cinco Soles, and then have lunch at Panchos Backyard. She'd get to see downtown Cozumel as you pass through, she'd get to shop at a less pushy place and lunch would be very pleasant.

Another thought is that Chankanab has plenty of seating protected from the sun but she could still see things that are going on, the ships passing by, people enjoying themselves, and the views are stunning. They'll bring her cold drinks and if she feels like walking at all, there's a small rain forest that she could walk as far as she wanted and then come back out and sit.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes in this post, am typing very fast and no time to proof read.

HTH

Ms B.

I agree with Chankanaab. The only walking granny would have to do would be from the ship to the cab...and then a few yards to the beach at Chank. Lots of wonderful palapas to sit under, although the loungers can be a bit tricky to get in and out of.:D That way, you could still get in some good snorkeling. She could also watch the dolphins perform. Yep, the waiters come on the beach to take drink orders. There's also a nice restaurant where she could sit. It's open-air, so she could enjoy all the sights and sounds from there. The botanical gardens are nice - plenty of flora and replicated Mayan ruins. Interesting. Chankanaab would be a good place for y'all.:)

Archived