AA's Golf Club Fee's

klfrodo

Anyone recently checked their clubs on American Airlines? If so, what was the charge? I'm also assuming that it was a 2nd checked bag.

Been to AA's website. Found info regarding luggage and weight sizes and charges, but nothing specific to golf clubs or other sporting equipment.

Took about 20 seconds to type in "golf" into the search box on aa.com and come up with THIS LINK and THIS LINK, both of which specifically mention golf clubs.

Thanks for the smarta$$ response but it still doesn't answer the question.

Reading my original post one can assume that the answer I'm requesting help with is,,,

"Why yes, I did just take a trip with my clubs while flying AA. As a second bag, AA charged me $XX amount each way. Hope this answer helps. Have a great day"

I guess you would rather have someone's own experience (which may or may not translate to you) than what AA says is official policy.

From those webpages that you must not have read is the exact answer you were asking about:

Golf Clubs

One golf bag containing no more than 14 golf clubs, 12 golf balls and one pair of golf shoes

Charged the applicable checked bag fee for the 1st or 2nd checked bag. When in excess, each item will be subject to the baggage fee for a single piece. Maximum free weight on golf clubs is 70 lbs. Size is limited to the size of a hard-sided golf case.

and

Q: If I check one bag and a pair of skis, do I have to pay a second bag service fee?

A: Yes, sports equipment counts toward your baggage allowance and you would be charged a second bag service fee in addition to the first checked bag fee.

All travel baggage (including but not limited to skis, golf clubs, boxes, suitcases, etc.) count toward your baggage allowance.

So, I guess I did answer the question by providing the link for you to click. Sorry that I had to go to the trouble to actually quote it.

98% of the time the help you provide on these boards is immeasurable in it's scope to assist people and your knowledge is respected.

The other 2% is downright sarcastic and arrogant.

I'm falling into the 2% today.

I found the information you are quoting prior to my request for help and after you posted the link. AA's website is noncommital on what the charges may actually be as a 2nd checked bag. The charges could be $50 or they could be $100.

Since I'm doing multiple routes on different airlines to include a Carribbean destination, the difference between $50 and $100 per flight could make the difference between taking the clubs and renting.

So, you are correct that I am asking for someones personal experience, that, YES, may or may not apply to me.

98% of the time the help you provide on these boards is immeasurable in it's scope to assist people and your knowledge is respected.

The other 2% is downright sarcastic and arrogant.

I'm falling into the 2% today.

I found the information you are quoting prior to my request for help and after you posted the link. AA's website is noncommital on what the charges may actually be as a 2nd checked bag. The charges could be $50 or they could be $100.

Since I'm doing multiple routes on different airlines to include a Carribbean destination, the difference between $50 and $100 per flight could make the difference between taking the clubs and renting.

So, you are correct that I am asking for someones personal experience, that, YES, may or may not apply to me.

WHAT are you REALLY asking???? Multiple routes, different airlines????

AA's rules:

Golf clubs-UP to 50 pounds-1st or 2nd bag fee as applicable

Golf clubs-50-70 pounds-1st or 2nd bag fee as applicable PLUS $50 overweight fee

Golf clubs-70-100 pounds-1st or 2nd bag fee as applicable PLUS $100.00

Golf clubs over 100 pounds-call me. We ship air freight daily with AA.

PS-the info is on the same page Flyertalker posted. You have to click on the EXCESS baggage fee link after you determine how much your clubs weigh. Excess baggage is NOT specific to golf clubs. Anything you check that weighs more than 50 pounds is subject to the same overweight fees.

"Charged the applicable checked bag fee for the 1st or 2nd checked bag. When in excess, each item will be subject to the BAGGAGE FEE for a single piece."

I took LeanordRay's advice and called American.

It seems that they can't even figure out their own boolean algebra baggage guidelines.

On one hand since it will be my 2nd checked piece of luggage and it falls within weight and dimension guidelines it may be $25. On the otherhand, since it is "sports equipment" it may be $50.

I guess it depends on my attitude when I approach the ticket counter and how good of a day the ticket counter agent has had so far.

I want to thank EVERYONE for their input. Yes, even Flyertalker. We may have had our spat this time around but for the most part your input to these boards are invaluable.

As always Greatam, your knowledge, insite, and input helps a great many people. Keep up the good work.

Archived