Rum Point

cruisinmamma

It has been recommended that Rum Point is a great beach, but the taxi ride is about 45 minutes. Rather than renting a car, has anyone taken a taxi there, and what it the cost each way? thanks,

A taxi to Rum Point will be around $80 US each way...and you'd have to prearrange the return trip since there aren't any taxis waiting around in the area. Be warned...it's a long way back, and if you're relying on the taxi to get you back on time you may miss your ship if the taxi is late for some reason.

We just got back, and since we have a car there we take a taxi between the airport and our house out at Rum Point. Our return trip taxi got busy with cruise ship tours, and was running late, so she ended up handing off the job to someone else at the last minute. However, since it's a 45 minute trip from town, that meant our taxi was 45 minutes late getting to us, putting us at the airport a lot later than expected. If we hadn't built some buffer time into our airport arrival, we likely would have missed our flight. For us, that wouldn't have been too much of a problem since we have a place to stay and could have just flown out the next day instead...but if you're depending on the taxi to get you back to the cruise ship on time from Rum Point, you might want to plan to leave at least an hour earlier than you need to, to allow for re-calling a taxi from town if needed.

Honestly, though...I don't think Rum Point is worth the taxi expense out there. Yeah, the beach is nice...but so are the ones along Seven Mile, and that's only a $4 a person trip each way. And, depending on the day and how many ships' worth of tour groups are at Rum Point, it's not that much less crowded either. As part of a Stingray City tour or if you're renting a car and touring the island along the way, it's a great stop...by taxi, I just wouldn't recommend it.

Honestly, though...I don't think Rum Point is worth the taxi expense out there. Yeah, the beach is nice...but so are the ones along Seven Mile, and that's only a $4 a person trip each way. And, depending on the day and how many ships' worth of tour groups are at Rum Point, it's not that much less crowded either. As part of a Stingray City tour or if you're renting a car and touring the island along the way, it's a great stop...by taxi, I just wouldn't recommend it.

Do you think the drive will be ok if I don't have to worry about a taxi? I'll be down there in March and a friend of mine who lives on GC is going to pick me up at the port and I'd love to drive out to Rum Point. I was last there 20 years ago for summer camp and really want to visit Rum Point again if the driving/traffic will allow it.

Do you think the drive will be ok if I don't have to worry about a taxi?

When we're there, we drive back and forth to town at least a couple of times a week. We've only been stuck in bad traffic a few times, and that was usually downtown in the port area or during peak travel times. If you have your own vehicle, and a local who knows the roads, you likely won't have any problems.

However, I'd still allow a bit of a buffer for your return time. Especially since it's a tender port, you don't want to cut it too close. If you get back a bit early, you can always wander the nearby shops for a bit, or grab a drink somewhere. :D That's the only problem with going out on your own...if you're late for some reason, the ship won't wait for you.

Thanks, bookbabe. I figure I'll be happy if I can just be there for even a couple of hours. I do plan on trying to get back into town to get a bit of shopping done before heading back to the ship. Besides, my friend will probably need to get back in time to pick up her daughter from school. Unfortunately, ours is one of 5 ships in port that day. I have a feeling it's going to be a bit crowded. We'll have to play it by ear.

Thanks again for your info. I can't wait to go down there!

Bookbabe: thanks for the info on Rum Point. Just wanted to go there because my son/wife loved it. So onto Plan B. I am toying between Sea Grape and Royal Palm beaches. Would like to do some snorkeling on a quiet beach with facilities. Have you been to either and which was more relaxing and "prettier"? Thanks.

Neither of those is what I'd call quiet or relaxing...especially on a cruise ship day. :D Seven Mile Beach is the big tourist strip, so most of the sections of beach are quite a bit more commercialized than Rum Point. Both Royal Palms and Sea Grape have good facilities, but only mediocre snorkelling. Cemetary Beach, a section of Seven Mile a bit further from the pier, has better snorkelling, or so I'm told, but there are no facilities at all.

Is your priority snorkelling or beach time? If it's beach time, head to one of the sections of Seven Mile (they're all pretty similar) and throw down a towel and enjoy. If it's snorkelling, and you don't want to do an excursion, try the Eden Rock area. It's just to the left of the pier, within walking distance, and the snorkelling is supposed to be pretty good. There's no beach there, however.

As far as I can tell, the sections with the best beach don't have the best snorkelling, and vice versa. Close to the port, you're likely going to have to compromise...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived