Tourism Quality Standards in NZ

infohound

Many international visitors to New Zealand are not aware of a national standard for Quality in Tourism that has been running here for a number of years. The QUALMARK standard has been set up by Tourism New Zealand [our national organisation] and the AA [Automobile Association].

This provides an independant quality review of all Accommodation, Activity, Tours and Transport operators in the tourist industry. If you go to this link you will see the QUALMARK web site where you can search for all of the above and check their standards. http://www.qualmark.co.nz/

So if you are looking for a hotel, tour company, tourist destination etc, this organisations approval will mean you can book with confidence of receiving a proffessional and high level of service. Hope this helps.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Many international visitors to New Zealand are not aware of a national standard for Quality in Tourism that has been running here for a number of years. The QUALMARK standard has been set up by Tourism New Zealand [our national organisation] and the AA [Automobile Association].

This provides an independant quality review of all Accommodation, Activity, Tours and Transport operators in the tourist industry. If you go to this link you will see the QUALMARK web site where you can search for all of the above and check their standards. http://www.qualmark.co.nz/

So if you are looking for a hotel, tour company, tourist destination etc, this organisations approval will mean you can book with confidence of receiving a proffessional and high level of service. Hope this helps.:)

In response to your information regarding the NZ Tourism accreditation qualmark which is appreciated, I would like to inform that this quality standard trademark is merely certification in NZ only and appears to be a monopoly orientated affiliate to the Tourism Ministries office promoted by the NZ Government's arm - Tourism New Zealand. There are many accommodation facilities in NZ whom are qualmarked 3-4 star, but their standards replicate 2-star status anywhere else in the world! The general feeling amongst operators & activities is that 'qualmark' is a 'money spinner' for the government and that they are forced to be a part of this 'initiative' to be recognised and/or promoted overseas by Tourism NZ. Visitors can receive a 'professional' and 'high level' of service without being accredited 'qualmark' status as you claim and there are many that choose not to be qualmarked because of the fact that it doesn't help their tourism products, obviously like yourself who need to promote your business in these forums - isn't that what Tourism NZ is supposed to do for you being 'qualmarked' registered??

In response to your information regarding the NZ Tourism accreditation qualmark which is appreciated, I would like to inform that this quality standard trademark is merely certification in NZ only and appears to be a monopoly orientated affiliate to the Tourism Ministries office promoted by the NZ Government's arm - Tourism New Zealand. There are many accommodation facilities in NZ whom are qualmarked 3-4 star, but their standards replicate 2-star status anywhere else in the world! The general feeling amongst operators & activities is that 'qualmark' is a 'money spinner' for the government and that they are forced to be a part of this 'initiative' to be recognised and/or promoted overseas by Tourism NZ. Visitors can receive a 'professional' and 'high level' of service without being accredited 'qualmark' status as you claim and there are many that choose not to be qualmarked because of the fact that it doesn't help their tourism products, obviously like yourself who need to promote your business in these forums - isn't that what Tourism NZ is supposed to do for you being 'qualmarked' registered??

There are many non Qualmarked companies in NZ who offer a great service, as you say many see this as a money spinner, but it is the only nationally approved system we have. The star ratings on accommodation for instance may not match exactly the worldwide hotel star system but many counties have various types of industry standards. In the UK bed and breakfasts and small hotels use the Rosettes system i think, again this is no doubt run at a cost by similar government and private industry partnerships. So this post was just to advise CC viewers about a national NZ system that they may not be aware of. Personally i think that any initiative that improves the service the tourism industry offers it customers is worthwhile considering.

There are many non Qualmarked companies in NZ who offer a great service, as you say many see this as a money spinner, but it is the only nationally approved system we have. The star ratings on accommodation for instance may not match exactly the worldwide hotel star system but many counties have various types of industry standards. In the UK bed and breakfasts and small hotels use the Rosettes system i think, again this is no doubt run at a cost by similar government and private industry partnerships. So this post was just to advise CC viewers about a national NZ system that they may not be aware of. Personally i think that any initiative that improves the service the tourism industry offers it customers is worthwhile considering.

Yes, I acknowledge your intention to inform visitors of this quality standard system the tourism industry in NZ has to offer, but it is in no way a guideline nor indication for visitors not to choose those that are'nt accredited with Qualmark standard whom provide services/tours/accommodation/food of a lesser quality than those that are accredited. As an example, NZ is one of the few western countries that accept Tour coaches that are 20 years old to be used in traffic and most of these companies are qualmarked registered! Though the aim of Qualmark is to provide quality accreditation based on professionalism of presentation and service, one must question the underlying motive of the actual process of obtaining this certification. One only needs to look at the airport motels in Auckland, most of whom are Qualmark rated but provide shocking service and sub-standard facilities. Sure, it's good to have these systems in place but what I endeavour to point out is that there are always going to be 'good' and 'bad' experiences regardless of accreditational compliance or not.

• 2 years later...

Why would anyone have a problem with a Government sanctioned system of Tourism Protection?

I am presently negotiating with a company that I used recently which has the Qualmark logo on its website. Now that I am checking the Qualmark site, this company does not appear anywhere.

I am certain that there are a few tour operators which provide terrific service despite the fact that they have not bothered to submit themselves to standards set by the Tourism boards, but why take a chance? I am not going to be returning to New Zealand. It was my one chance to see this wonderful country.

I used a company praised by some people on these boards and did not experience the level of service that was claimed. I trusted these boards and also TripAdvisor. Now I wish that I had also checked the Qualmark site.

It appears that there are a few companies which promote their businesses on this forum, not just the one to which you refer.

Evana, would you either post the company's name or email me tcook46 at gmail dot com. We will in in NZ this Feb for Sun Princess tour. Thanks. Thinks for bring up this thread. I usually go by CC and Trip Advisor comments/recommendations.

We own a small accommodation business ourselves and have chosen NOT to go along the Qualmark way for the mere reason that the COST would be exhorbitant.

The money would be better spent making capital improvements and also put towards the running cost of our business. I am talking about Big Bucks with no guarantees that it would add to the business's revenue.

Plus its a bit Nanny Stateish with all these rules and guidelines.

Qualmark is very expensive and whilst it obviously has it's merits many small businesses jusy can't absorb the costs involved.

We own a small accommodation business ourselves and have chosen NOT to go along the Qualmark way for the mere reason that the COST would be exhorbitant.

The money would be better spent making capital improvements and also put towards the running cost of our business. I am talking about Big Bucks with no guarantees that it would add to the business's revenue.

Plus its a bit Nanny Stateish with all these rules and guidelines.

Qualmark is very expensive and whilst it obviously has it's merits many small businesses jusy can't absorb the costs involved.

I can see and understand your point of view there, from a small business perspective. I just wanted to say that when we were in NZ for a cruise and short time afterwards, I was astounded by the quality and easy accessibility to anything related to tourism. My guess is that because NZ is such a beautiful country, tourism must be one of the top income sources for the country, hence the competition seemed to be of a high standard. There are tourist information centres everywhere, and everyone seems more than helpful. I was impressed. Also....yes, I have a good look at tripadvisor and jasons (and CC), and then make up my own mind.

I can see and understand your point of view there, from a small business perspective. I just wanted to say that when we were in NZ for a cruise and short time afterwards, I was astounded by the quality and easy accessibility to anything related to tourism. My guess is that because NZ is such a beautiful country, tourism must be one of the top income sources for the country, hence the competition seemed to be of a high standard. There are tourist information centres everywhere, and everyone seems more than helpful. I was impressed. Also....yes, I have a good look at tripadvisor and jasons (and CC), and then make up my own mind.

good for You,

it is nice that our information centres are appreciated.

I agree on the whole they are pretty good.

We went to Canada- BC -this year and the information centres were great there too.

The debate above is interesting. There's been some significant discussions in NZ recently about safety standards in some sectors and whether or not this needs to be legislated. Compared to many countries, it's pretty easy to set up a tourism business without too many rules to jump through. But some visitors do find it surprising when something goes wrong that there aren't 'official' organisations to complain too or no national controlling body. Qualmark in NZ is a voluntary system but hats off to the operators that do commit to participating in it - it's one indicator for international visitors that the business is committed to providing a quality experience. Of course, the boards here are another great source of information because nothing beats first hand experience!

The debate above is interesting. There's been some significant discussions in NZ recently about safety standards in some sectors and whether or not this needs to be legislated. Compared to many countries, it's pretty easy to set up a tourism business without too many rules to jump through. But some visitors do find it surprising when something goes wrong that there aren't 'official' organisations to complain too or no national controlling body. Qualmark in NZ is a voluntary system but hats off to the operators that do commit to participating in it - it's one indicator for international visitors that the business is committed to providing a quality experience. Of course, the boards here are another great source of information because nothing beats first hand experience!

Most businesses are mindful of saftey,

OSH would stamp on them if there was an incident.

Qualmark does not offer guarantees in this department.

I've been reading this debate for a couple of days and I had intended to stay well out of it but it seems it may help the 'balance' of the conversation if a 'qualmarked' operator chipped in.

A far smarter person than me once commented that there are only two absolute guarantees in life. Death, and taxation. So of course it is entirely feasible for someone to use a Qualmark endorsed business or operator and to be dissatisfied.

Qualmark membership isn’t a guarantee that a business will never make mistakes otherwise foul-up occasionally. But I do see the process of applying for, and then retaining, Qualmark very much as a declaration of intent, intent to aim for some pretty high standards.

Addressing the process of applying for and retaining endorsement, I think it helps us slow down and look at our business more analytically than we might do otherwise. It certainly makes us stop and think about things, sometimes seemingly insignificant things, that might otherwise be overlooked in the general day-to-day rush of running a business.

To gain & retain endorsement a business must annually convince an assessor that key facets of the business are being properly managed plus the business must comply with Qualmark’s code of ethics: I’ve added these at the end of this post in case any one is really interested.

In terms of the cost Qualmark costs us just cents per guest we deal with. It’s run as a not-for-profit business so I cannot see it being much of a money-spinner for the government.

For someone sitting in Europe, North America or anywhere else in the world no one can deny that it must be difficult to decide which tour operator, motel, B&B, car hire company or anything else they should use unless they have a first hand recommendation from someone they trust. If nothing else Qualmark endorsement at least lets this person know which businesses have been through a quality measurement process and which haven’t.

Trenchfoot

Qualmark code of ethics

1. Recognise and affirm the right of the customer to courteous, prompt and honest service;
  2. Maintain high standards and fair practice in all business transactions;
  3. Accord customers of all cultural origins, equal respect and consideration;
  4. Price goods and services fairly and unambiguously in New Zealand dollars;
  5. Ensure that advertising is accurate and truthful, and free of any device which could create a misleading impression or otherwise be contrary to the public interest;
  6. Establish and maintain procedures for the prompt handling of complaints, ensuring that all inquiries, refunds and returns of goods (where applicable) are dealt with properly and reasonably;
  7. Keep proper books of accounts and conduct all affairs in a professional manner;
  8. Uphold and observe all laws and regulations pertaining to their business particularly those governing safety and the provision and sale of goods and services;
  9. Meet all responsibilities to employees by observing all laws and awards, by giving proper training and instruction, by providing adequate working conditions, equipment and facilities and supervising standards of safety and work practices;
  10. Act in an environmentally responsible way;
  11. Maintain high standards both in equipment and procedures to ensure that customer safety is protected as much as reasonably possible given the type of business activity;
  12. Uphold the interests and reputation of New Zealand as a quality destination for visitors and travellers, offering friendly, hospitable service.

Archived