Machu Picchu excursion on NCL

Ronin23

I am looking at taking the 11/4 19 day cruise on the Norwegina Sun, the main reason being to see Machu Picchu and the Incas.

The excursion through the ship which is a 2 night/3 day is around $2000 each which is mighty expensive. I know it includes nights at a hotel ( not sure whcih one) and some flights etc.

My question is, is this worth it???

I am looking at taking the 11/4 19 day cruise on the Norwegina Sun, the main reason being to see Machu Picchu and the Incas.

The excursion through the ship which is a 2 night/3 day is around $2000 each which is mighty expensive. I know it includes nights at a hotel ( not sure whcih one) and some flights etc.

IF I may offer a suggestion: Since the main reason for the cruise is to see MP, either get off the ship in Lima and do MP on your own, go BACK to Lima after you disembark the ship for MP, or just go to MP via air.

Not only are you spending $2000pp (which is an OUTRAGEOUS price for something that an be done from Lima for less than $1000.00) BUT you also must figure in the cost of the days you miss on the ship.

AND the real biggie-you will be hustled from here to there and NOT REALLY get to see much. The normal ship tour-arrive Cusco by about 10:00AM, go to your hotel for a rest, then be hustled on to a tour bus, driven around Cusco. You have NOT had time to acclimate and the chances of getting AMS (altitude sickness) increase a LOT. I have seen so many "3 day tour" people sick and living on oxygen, while they are missing the entire experience.

IMHO, the tour is a WASTE of money. If you need some help planning MP on your own, please post. You really can book everything you need without a travel agent or tour.

Did this 3 years ago on the repositioning on the Crown from Miami to Valpariso, was $1500.00 pp then. We where the 1st ones off the ship to the airport and flight to Cuzco. At the hotel we had hits of oxygen and green tea, rested, had lunch and then an xtensive tour of Cuzco, including a trip up to the rim of the city which sits in the bowl of an extinct volcano (about 13-14 thousand feet up). Dinner at the hotel with native entertainment. Up the next mornig, bus to train and the Hiram Bingham train down to Machu Pichu, about 5 hours, then back to Cuzco, another dinner with more native entertainment. The next morning back to the airport, and here is what you cannot book yourself. A chartered jet to meet the ship that had move onto the next port of Arica Chile, there are no flights between Cuzco and Arica. On Northbound repositions they do it in reverse. My friend is doing it in February with Princess and has to fly from Cuzco back to Lima to fly to Valpariso. Since you will probably not be coming back this way again, i say do it it is unbelievable as what you see at Machu Pechu. As it turned out we redid this trip with Celebrity with different ports except Lima and we did the flight over the lines at Nasca, the second time. Hope this helps.

Al :D

Did this 3 years ago on the repositioning on the Crown from Miami to Valpariso, was $1500.00 pp then. We where the 1st ones off the ship to the airport and flight to Cuzco. At the hotel we had hits of oxygen and green tea, rested, had lunch and then an xtensive tour of Cuzco, including a trip up to the rim of the city which sits in the bowl of an extinct volcano (about 13-14 thousand feet up). Dinner at the hotel with native entertainment. Up the next mornig, bus to train and the Hiram Bingham train down to Machu Pichu, about 5 hours, then back to Cuzco, another dinner with more native entertainment. The next morning back to the airport, and here is what you cannot book yourself. A chartered jet to meet the ship that had move onto the next port of Arica Chile, there are no flights between Cuzco and Arica. On Northbound repositions they do it in reverse. My friend is doing it in February with Princess and has to fly from Cuzco back to Lima to fly to Valpariso. Since you will probably not be coming back this way again, i say do it it is unbelievable as what you see at Machu Pechu. As it turned out we redid this trip with Celebrity with different ports except Lima and we did the flight over the lines at Nasca, the second time. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for that.

I am wrestling with the cost of it all ( $1899 pp) but you make it sound like an awesome trip.

Did not realise it was a chartered jet. That explains the cost of it.

You are right in saying that I will most likely never be back that way again.

If I wish to see machu Piccu then this is the only way i am gojng to be able to do it!!

Thanks a lot for that.

I am wrestling with the cost of it all ( $1899 pp) but you make it sound like an awesome trip.

If I wish to see machu Piccu then this is the only way i am gojng to be able to do it!!

Go and enjoy it, if you need anymore info or have questions, you can e-mail me at alanmal@aol.com

We did it on a HAL cruise in 2005. I booked exactly the same hotels in Lima and Cuzco that HAL was offering and we booked our own tickets on the train and airfare. I did it for less than 1/2 the HAL price. The only upside to doing it with the cruiseline is that they handle the details which can take some effort to do. So, if your time is extremely valueable and or you don't like doing your own travel planning, then use NCL. If you are saying that this is during the cruise, then I agree with Greatam and do it before or after your cruise. Not in the middle of the cruise. That would make it even more expensive as you would be paying for a cruise and food you wouldn't use.

jc

• 2 years later...
IF I may offer a suggestion: Since the main reason for the cruise is to see MP, either get off the ship in Lima and do MP on your own, go BACK to Lima after you disembark the ship for MP, or just go to MP via air.

Not only are you spending $2000pp (which is an OUTRAGEOUS price for something that an be done from Lima for less than $1000.00) BUT you also must figure in the cost of the days you miss on the ship.

AND the real biggie-you will be hustled from here to there and NOT REALLY get to see much. The normal ship tour-arrive Cusco by about 10:00AM, go to your hotel for a rest, then be hustled on to a tour bus, driven around Cusco. You have NOT had time to acclimate and the chances of getting AMS (altitude sickness) increase a LOT. I have seen so many "3 day tour" people sick and living on oxygen, while they are missing the entire experience.

IMHO, the tour is a WASTE of money. If you need some help planning MP on your own, please post. You really can book everything you need without a travel agent or tour.

We are also wanting to go to Machu Piccu. We want to set up the trip and wuld any information that you might have. NCL for $2K ea to MP must be they are staying at the Monastery Hotel that is right there. The cost at that hotel starts around $825 per night.

We are also wanting to go to Machu Piccu. We want to set up the trip and wuld any information that you might have. NCL for $2K ea to MP must be they are staying at the Monastery Hotel that is right there. The cost at that hotel starts around $825 per night.

Try contacting Paul Cusinga, his website has tours which include Cusco and Macchupicchu and I am sure he will sort something out for you.

We booked a different tour with Paul when we were in Lima for the day from the Infinity last March, and he was wonderful. It wasn't one of his advertised tours, he's quite happy to 'tailor made' you day for you. Speaks better English than I do!! He picked us up from right beside the ship and returned us in good time for sailing and we paid in cash on the day.

His details are:

Email: Paul Cusinga [info@peruincawonders.com]

HAL's superior 2 night/3 days is something like $4,299 per person next year. We are going on our own.

Thanks a lot for that.

Which ports? Arica, Chile would be with charter. If from Lima you can book on your own.

They aren't staying at that hotel and charging under $2,000.00 per person. HAL stays at that hotel with their Superior option which is $4,299.00 per person for 2 nights.

We did the NCL tour to MP in 2005. The great thing was that we had 3 crew members travelling with us. One was a ship's nurse who was able to give medication and oxygen to those who had altitude sickness. I had a really bad head ache but she provided pain killers which worked. Others needed oxygen but my DH was absolutely fine.

The other crew members saw to all the tour arrangements including the buses, train seats and check-in at the airport. The charter flight back to Arica went smoothly too.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip and, IMHO, well worth the money as it was hassle free. We also did not have to pay the automatic tips for the days we were off the ship.

• 3 weeks later...
I just did a 5 day post cruise with HAL and it only cost only $ 1299/pp. HAL used Lima Tours http://www.limatours.com.pe/english/packages/index.asp

and they were excellent, I highly recommend.

Thank you for letting me know who HAL uses. We have already booked our flights using the South American airpass, but I have not made a decision on guides, trains (I think it is too early to book), or hotels (well I booked a couple but still trying to decide whether to stay in Cuzco or Sacred Valley the first night).

Do you have your itinerary? I wonder why the mid cruise excursion is so significantly more?

Do you have your itinerary? I wonder why the mid cruise excursion is so significantly more?

Because they have to use a charter to get people back and forth to the ship. 20-40 people on a charter aircraft jacks the price considerably.

Pre or post, they can use regularly scheduled aircraft. Very easy-Santiago to Lima to Cusco and back to either Lima or SCL. Heck, they could even offer the fantastic train ride to Lake Titicaca and a trip on the Lake and get back on regularly scheduled aircraft.

You did the right thing to save a whole lot of money. You sure aren't missing much on your cruise. Plus you have much more time to actually see and not get sick. Just don't forget to arrange transport between Guayaquil and Manta.

Edited by greatam

Because they have to use a charter to get people back and forth to the ship. 20-40 people on a charter aircraft jacks the price considerably.

Pre or post, they can use regularly scheduled aircraft. Very easy-Santiago to Lima to Cusco and back to either Lima or SCL. Heck, they could even offer the fantastic train ride to Lake Titicaca and a trip on the Lake and get back on regularly scheduled aircraft.

You did the right thing to save a whole lot of money. You sure aren't missing much on your cruise. Plus you have much more time to actually see and not get sick. Just don't forget to arrange transport between Guayaquil and Manta.

Thank you so much for your help! The only thing that is not working out the way that I want is the Sanctuary Lodge. On every date that I have checked for the past few months (except the one that I want) they have had availability at $550.00/$600.00 w/tax(Breakfast Buffet only), which is what I wanted to do. So, now I do not know where to stay near MP.

Edited by Jade13

Thank you so much for your help! The only thing that is not working out the way that I want is the Sanctuary Lodge. On every date that I have checked for the past few months (except the one that I want) they have had availability at $550.00/$600.00 w/tax(Breakfast Buffet only), which is what I wanted to do. So, now I do not know where to stay near MP.

I booked the Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza for our night prior to our return to the ship. It just opened, pics look great, and so was the price. I will keep checking the reviews.

Jade,

try calling the Sanctuary Lodge directly. The number is on their website. Also, try booking it through Expedia or one of the other travel websites. Many times, tour companies like A&K book a block of rooms that may or may not be fully used. If you decide to book elsewhere, make sure you can cancel it because a room at Sanctuary can become available as rooms are released. Don't give up. The same thing happened to us a year ago. (Actually, I just noticed we were there a year ago today!)

M

Jade,

try calling the Sanctuary Lodge directly. The number is on their website. Also, try booking it through Expedia or one of the other travel websites. Many times, tour companies like A&K book a block of rooms that may or may not be fully used. If you decide to book elsewhere, make sure you can cancel it because a room at Sanctuary can become available as rooms are released. Don't give up. The same thing happened to us a year ago. (Actually, I just noticed we were there a year ago today!)

M

We actually use Hotels (dot) com which is part of the Expedia group. There are rooms available, but not at the price I had hoped.

Isn't it cool when you can remember the exact date of a trip that you loved?

So, you booked direct? It appears that the Lodge only offers the full board/meal plan. Does that mean lunch the first day, dinner, and breakfast on check-out? Does it include drinks (such as bottled water) at other times besides meal times. Is the lunch the buffet lunch that costs approx $25.00 if booked on its own? How expensive is the restaurant if one is able to reserve the room without the meal plan?

What did you do with your stuff when you had to check-out hours before your train, etc? The Vista train also has a promo which includes lunch at the Santuary Lodge (well our dates are not our yet, so don't know if it will still be available)

We actually use Hotels (dot) com which is part of the Expedia group. There are rooms available, but not at the price I had hoped.

Isn't it cool when you can remember the exact date of a trip that you loved?

So, you booked direct? It appears that the Lodge only offers the full board/meal plan. Does that mean lunch the first day, dinner, and breakfast on check-out? Does it include drinks (such as bottled water) at other times besides meal times. Is the lunch the buffet lunch that costs approx $25.00 if booked on its own? How expensive is the restaurant if one is able to reserve the room without the meal plan?

What did you do with your stuff when you had to check-out hours before your train, etc? The Vista train also has a promo which includes lunch at the Santuary Lodge (well our dates are not our yet, so don't know if it will still be available)

I booked direct. Then Expedia had a special offer for about 20% less for the week we were there and I took it, of course. (It was just after the floods so they had extra capacity.) The advantage of booking directly is that you can cancel without penalty up to a month (?) prior to arrival. In that way, you can get a special offer if you find it elsewhere, such as hotels or booking dot com. If not, you have your room guaranteed. And it is truly special to stay at the mountain top. I would go for the full plan. We considered that to be the "big" splurge for the trip. And I recall the date because one of us was having a "big" birthday.

The Lodge is truly all inclusive. First night meal including nice wines. All drinks (alcoholic and non) and snacks at any time. (They make really good coca sours. We had them served in the garden after sightseeing.) Lunch, except that you are served in the dining room and order from the menu, not the buffet lunch served on the "day tripper" side. Breakfast (huge) on checkout. I don't recall prices on the menu because everything was included, although we invited our guide to lunch with us in the dining room and I am sure we were charged something.

And the concierge will hold your stuff until you are ready to leave, or until you check in if you get there early.

Edited by marazul

Forgot. There is very nice entertainment at dinner time with Andean musicians. Ask at what time they start so you get to the dining room on time.

The all inclusive price for the room probably comes out close to even with paying for extra meals and beverages for two people. Don't forget, it is an Orient Express hotel with quality and prices to match. And there are no other options up there.

Forgot. There is very nice entertainment at dinner time with Andean musicians. Ask at what time they start so you get to the dining room on time.

The all inclusive price for the room probably comes out close to even with paying for extra meals and beverages for two people. Don't forget, it is an Orient Express hotel with quality and prices to match. And there are no other options up there.

The published rates start at $1,025.00 before tax. My DH does not drink.

The Inkaterra has no availability on our dates.

The published rates start at $1,025.00 before tax. My DH does not drink.

The Inkaterra has no availability on our dates.

Sorry about that. We got ours for around $800. It is worth it to keep on checking so you can swap out of whatever reservations you end up making elsewhere if a good deal comes along.

Good luck.