all inclusive resorts vs cruising

storm15

just curious if any of you have ever compared the two ? If so what are you favs at both? How do they compare to one another?

My husband and I love all inclusives with the family as we don't have to hand out the $$$ every minute, and lots of activities. Our first cruise is on the Sky in two weeks and we are anxious to see if cruising is as fun as all inclusive vacationing, actually we are hoping its more fun so we can see more islands.

Unfortunately, we haven't done an "all inclusive" but we have cruised. I did however look into it recently. It seems you can do a 3 star resort in the Dominican Republic around mid September for $1,400. That includes a flight from the east coast. We usually spend that much on a cruise (at least.) We enjoy our "drink," so this would be a good deal for us. We're cruising in April, but I think we'll start saving for an "all inclusive" for next September. One hitch: It seems as though it's a last minute reservation to get the deal. A bit hard to plan for.

just curious if any of you have ever compared the two ? If so what are you favs at both? How do they compare to one another?

My husband and I love all inclusives with the family as we don't have to hand out the $$$ every minute, and lots of activities. Our first cruise is on the Sky in two weeks and we are anxious to see if cruising is as fun as all inclusive vacationing, actually we are hoping its more fun so we can see more islands.

there is no asnwer to which is best, both offer a great vacation experience:

Cruising, even with the nickel and diming some refer to can be cheaper unless you are a heavy alcohol consumer. This is if you choose a top rate AI> Also I think there are actually more activities cruising than at AI. My experience has been cruising offers better food and often more choices. Plus as you said the chance to see more places in a short period of time.

AI is a very easy way to have a great vacation. You know up front exactly what you will be spending and normally your accomodations will be larger than on a cruise ship. If water activities, laying around the pool or beach, golfing (normally not included in the price) are your thing plus some activities AI is a perfect vacation: if you want to experience the culture of more than one place, like a little more night life and a huge choice of activities (most of the time) cruising is better. I think, for us, AI are fine for the quick 4 day vacation, cruising is better for the 7 day or longer get away.

Nita

We're fans of all inclusives. We stayed at Beaches Turks and Caicos last year, and in the past just dh and I have stayed at Sandals St. Lucia and Sandals Ocho Rios. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I love the fact that everything is already paid for and I basically have an open bar for the entire vacation. We loved our cruise this year too... both vacation products have their pros and cons. Right now we are focusing on cruising because we don't have to fly to get there. No all inclusives are w/in driving distance of PA. ;)

AWinkler: My husband and I tend to stick to 4-5 star resorts for AI, some of the three star have less dining options, and other important things to us (great beach, beautiful landscaping, large pools etc) so just be careful to read reviews on your resort choice. We have gotten exceptional deals from Apple, and Funjet vacations as far as 3 months out. But if you can be very flexible you can get awesome deals last minute. For a family of 3 this year we could have gone to Iberostar Lindo in the Riviera Maya(very very nice resort) for $3650.00 tax and ins included. That would be three adults.

We love all inclusives and are looking forward to comparing the two as some of you have been able to do. I love reading everyones opinions and taking what sounds good from each one.

My family has been lucky enough to visit many ai resorts in Mexico and Jamaica. The reason we decided on cruising this time was our youngest is now 14 and no longer free at the ai resorts. So since we have to pay for him anyway we opted to try a new vacation , with perhaps more activities for his age. Our girls are grown and are doing their own vacationing now.

Anyway....I appreciate everyone responses and look forward to giving mine in a couple weeks. :)

Storm: You are exactly right! This resort got both good and bad reviews on trip advisor. Good point! Thankfully, give us a decent bed and a swim up bar and we're happy! But there's not many that would agree. In the case of an AI, I think you get what you pay for! :)

Thanks for the tips on picking a good website. I'll make notes of those.

We did an AI in November 2007, and although we enjoyed it, we found that it wasn't worth the $$ for us, personally. We were in St. Thomas, and aren't really big drinkers...and we did a lot of wandering off the resort on the Island, as well as a day trip to St. John, another to Virgin Gorda, and a day-long sail out of Red Hook. In hind sight, we would have been better off in this instance at least, with a 'breakfast' only plan...we were usually off the property for lunch, and sometimes for dinner, or we had had lunch later, so just weren't hungry for dinner.

We were thinking about it after we got home, and it's almost too bad that there wasn't a "reciprocal" available-where instead of staying at the resort for meals, you could get a 'coupon' for use at a restaurant on the island.We had a FABULOUS mexican meal "off site" one night, and have friends that live down there, and we went out for pizza with them one night...I think the 'reciprocal' arrangement would benefit both the resort and the local restaurants...

On cruises, we find that we pretty much do the same thing, but all in one place-we do a "good" breakfast, and we tend to "pick" at lunch-and then have dinner...

JMHO/YMMV

We enjoy cruises just as much as all-inclusives.

We base our decision more on the "why" we're going on vacation. If it's to see different ports of call, go sightseeing then we choose a cruise.

If it's just to get away and relax, we choose an all-inclusive.

A cruise is a great way to find out which island you'd like to spend time on at an all-inclusive. With a cruise if you don't care for an island, don't worry, tomorrow you'll be somewhere else. At an all-inclusive you're in for a long vacation if you don't like the island you're staying on!

If vacation means "time to drink" ... definitely go for an all-inclusive. Cruise bar bills can cause you to faint!

We too are trying to decide between an AI in Jamaica or the Dawn for our Feb vacation trip (Feb 21). The thing that is getting me down on the AI at this time is the airfare to MBJ. It is twice what I would pay to get to MIA/FLL and involves multiple flights.

Taking Herb's suggestion of why are we going... the Dawn has some stops we have not been at ever or in a long time, Jamaica was a destination, a place we would not be leaving for the week.

I can't decide!!

Kathy J

Comparing likes - mass market cruise line to mass market mid range All Inclusive.

All Inclusive's are usually a better "deal" hands down, no questions asked.

However, that doesn't mean that there is no "deals" to be done cruising.

It will certainly be a cheaper week for a family of 4 cruising to Bermuda for a weeks vacation than for a family of 4 doing an all inclusive (if that's even possible) in Bermuda for a week, alcohol included.

As our two "kids" are actually teens, the cost for the AI is for four adults which in almost every case puts us in two rooms at full price.

It's still the devil you know vs. the devil you don't know for me. My DH's concern at the AI is what brand of beer is included and how noisy is it in the rooms. (Ah, the peacefulness of the cruise ship balcony!) I am a wine drinker and the only time I had a glass of the house wine at an AI it was rotgut. So... if we are thinking that the difference is in the alcohol at least having my choice on the ship is a plus.

Kathy J

I have been on 7 cruises (booked my 8th on the Gem for Aug 09) and 4 all inclusives.

I have had a great time in both AI and cruises.

But there is something to be said about "just about everything" being included in the all inclusive. I like that concept. I like knowing what the price of my vacation is going to be before I leave.

We normally book 4 star resorts on land vacations (Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, Starwood) but our 4 all inclusives ranged from 3 stars to 4 stars. (GR Solaris in Cancun, Divi Aruba, Super Clubs Breezes Runaway Bay -Jamaica, and Club St. Lucia by Spash). These all inclusives covered all meals (generally 3 or 4 restaurants), snacks, alcohol and soft drinks, activities, non-motorized watersports, lessons, some excursions and all gratuities. Phone calls, gifts, and some spa services were extra.

This is much more "inclusive" than most standard and premium cruiselines.

I have also found that most all -inclusives for my family of 4 (when all is said and done) are a bit less expensive than the cruises I have been on.

PS- We are not drinkers but we do have some tropical drinks each day at the AI because it's included.

The best part of the AI is that almost everything is included and not being nickel and dimed.

On the other hand... even though people complain about how the quality of the "free" food on board cruise ships have gone down, I feel the food quality, atmosphere and service (at least on Carnival, Princess, HAL and NCL) is better than most restaurants in a AI. So is the Cabin Service vs housekeeping. And finally on a cruise ship you are seeing several different countries in one week.

To my knowlwdge, only the Luxury Cruiselines offer the "all inclusive" concept to cruise guests.

I can't help but wonder how a "premium" cruiseline would do with an "all inclusive" concept?

By this I mean would there be a market for a cruiseline that costs a bit more but includes all restaurants, alcohol and soft drinks, some excursions and gratuities? For example I usually pay between $3000-$5000 for "cruise only" for my family of 4 on NCL/Carnival/Princess/HAL. This includes either 1 mini-suite for 4 or 2 cabins (1 OCV and 1 inside). Does not include the extras.

Is there a market for this concept, say instead of $3000-5000- IT was $4000 -$6000? But for the average $1000 more you have unlimited drinks, all restaurants on board =free, a few "basic" shore excursions and gratuities?

I think I would like that.

Just wondering...

II can't help but wonder how a "premium" cruiseline would do with an "all inclusive" concept?

By this I mean would there be a market for a cruiseline that costs a bit more but includes all restaurants, alcohol and soft drinks, some excursions and gratuities? For example I usually pay between $3000-$5000 for "cruise only" for my family of 4 on NCL/Carnival/Princess/HAL. This includes either 1 mini-suite for 4 or 2 cabins (1 OCV and 1 inside). Does not include the extras.

Is there a market for this concept, say instead of $3000-5000- IT was $4000 -$6000? But for the average $1000 more you have unlimited drinks, all restaurants on board =free, a few "basic" shore excursions and gratuities?

I think I would like that.

Just wondering...

Of course then people would be coming back here and complaining that all of the best restaurants were full and they had to settle for the buffet. :D

we've done both. last winter we did them back to back....all inclusive at turks caicos islands, flew to miami and boarded the pearl for 14 days. what we learned? we'll do it in the opposite order next time as the ship is a 'rude awakening' of noise, people, decorations etc. after the openness and gorgeous beaches. we'll do the pearl again because she is so beautiful. we loved her after we made the adjustment. what's different? it seems a smidge more is included at an all inclusive resort depending on which one we've been to. some include snorkeling; some don't . all charge extra for spa services; none [that we've been to] charge for various restaurants but then there are usually few choices. we got more tired of the food at all inclusive after a while than on the ship. even after 14 days we were excited to eat. the cruise excursions may be a bit more expensive....but then the locations may be more exotic. it seems there is more kick-back lay around time at the all inclusive. the pools are bigger. the beaches tend to be huge and gorgeous. there is frequently sailing and kayaking and such included. JUST DEPENDS UPON WHAT YOU WANT AND LIKE. the kids clubs we've observed [we're old so aren't with kids] at the all inclusives are great and have much longer hours and many more activities because they have so much more room. can't go wrong with either option.

AWinkler: My husband and I tend to stick to 4-5 star resorts for AI, some of the three star have less dining options, and other important things to us (great beach, beautiful landscaping, large pools etc) so just be careful to read reviews on your resort choice. We have gotten exceptional deals from Apple, and Funjet vacations as far as 3 months out. But if you can be very flexible you can get awesome deals last minute. For a family of 3 this year we could have gone to Iberostar Lindo in the Riviera Maya(very very nice resort) for $3650.00 tax and ins included. That would be three adults.

We love all inclusives and are looking forward to comparing the two as some of you have been able to do. I love reading everyones opinions and taking what sounds good from each one.

My family has been lucky enough to visit many ai resorts in Mexico and Jamaica. The reason we decided on cruising this time was our youngest is now 14 and no longer free at the ai resorts. So since we have to pay for him anyway we opted to try a new vacation , with perhaps more activities for his age. Our girls are grown and are doing their own vacationing now.

Anyway....I appreciate everyone responses and look forward to giving mine in a couple weeks. :)

iberastar, I feel is the best overall AI available regardless where they are. Yes, some others are great but very pricey...

Nita

Has anyone been to the Iberostar Cozumel? We are considering this for the spring of 2009 just because we want to hang out on the beach. Spent a day on the beach when we cruised in Jan 2008 with NCL and really enjoyed the change of pace. Thanks Anne

On my last all-inclusive (I have been to many) they only allowed you to go to one specialty restaurant during the 3 night stay. You couldn't even pay to. If that was NCL everyone wold be bitching! LOL.

I have done several of both AIs and cruises.

The one difference is I have never been to an AI that changed location each day - ha ha.

Both are great. Any vacation is great... including the staycation I had last week.

You can find GREAT info for AIs on www.tripadvisor.com

We stayed at Iberostar Bavaro in the Dominican Republic last November with extended family for my brother's wedding. Kids with us ranged from 8 to 14 and it was fantastic. The LOVED being able to stroll up to (or swim up to) the bar and order a virgin pina colada or bahama-mama....or they could head over to the buffet by the pool to grab a bite without having to ask ANYONE for money!

Food was great. Went on excursions, which was the only thing that cost us anything, other than a photo or two and tips.

As for drinking, you can basically ask the bartender to make your drink however you like it.

I just did a cost comparison - high end all-inclusive we've stayed at before in Mayan Riviera versus balcony cabin on the Spirit. We will drink, but not a lot. Please note that this is over Christmas and we are flying from Canada. Final costs were about $3000 cheaper on the Spirit over an all-inclusive with airfare included. Even putting booze and excursions into account, we will save about $1000. Some of the charter flights were full, and flying from Canada, there aren't a lot of choices into Cancun, and they were running $500 higher than to New Orleans if we booked airfare separately.

One of my main considerations was safety issues several of my friends have had in Mexico, including an armed robbery at a family wedding at one of the most luxurious resorts in the Mayan Riviera. I realize that cruise ships and excursions are not immune to violence, but with two university-aged sons, I want to hear more proactive responses from the police in Quintano Roo.

Even with norovirus outbreaks, I also believe cruise ships adhere to higher hygiene standards. I am a fairly adventurous traveler (just did a fabulous independent trip across Europe by train with DH) but for this trip, I don't want to worry about bathrooms and bad food. I'm not a princess at all, but for this trip, a cruise works better.

Viv

I think so much of this depends on where you live. If you are closer to a port, than the flight will be a lot less or even zero for some people.

For us, doing the resort ends up going wayyyyy over the cost of a cruise out of NYC, due to the flight expense. From Columbus, Ohio we did Amtrak for under $400. With hotel for 1 night and incidentals, it was around $600 for travel. Just to fly to NYC would have been over $1000, I can't even imagine the flight to Mexico or the other places.

In comparing outside of flights, here is what I found (based on June prices).

-choose resorts that allow you to use "sister" resort facilities and include that transportation.

-cruises for our family of three are on hold due to the fact that ds-almost 18 will no longer be in the teen clubs. Not being able to hang out in a club with teens would be very difficult for him.

-really research the restaurant situation. I found that some don't offer much in variety.

We may try an AI in the near future, but with flights as expensive as they are, right now thats on hold as well. Maybe if we "ditch" the kid!!!

We have done AI in Cancun and really enjoyed it. The Place that we stayed also had 5 other "sister" properties that were also included in the AI. You slept at your main hotel, but you could eat at the restaurants at all 6 places and you could also use their beaches, pools, and other amenities. The price was very reasonable and the flight from our home only took an hour and a half to get there. Much quicker than a cruise:) ! Also with Cozumel being just an hour or so ferry ride away, it was a very enjoyable trip.

Paul

We have done AI in Cancun and really enjoyed it. The Place that we stayed also had 5 other "sister" properties that were also included in the AI. You slept at your main hotel, but you could eat at the restaurants at all 6 places and you could also use their beaches, pools, and other amenities. The price was very reasonable and the flight from our home only took an hour and a half to get there. Much quicker than a cruise:) ! Also with Cozumel being just an hour or so ferry ride away, it was a very enjoyable trip.

Paul

Paul, I think you are referring to the Palace group, am I right. I know some of them are very nice, but others need to be renovated. The idea of eating at any of them has to be attractive...

Nita

Archived