Upgrade when boarding

kevin86

I'm leaving on the Dawn tomorrow and had a quick question. When we are boarding is it possible to ask if there are any empty rooms and pay for an upgrade? Probably not possible but I figured someone here would know the answer.

Thanks.

Yes you can get them on boarding however I have been on 8 NCL trips fron NY and all had a sigh saying the ship was full.

Every cruise we've been on (3 different lines) had a sign saying the ship was full. I think that may be there to discourage picky people from wanting a different cabin.

It still can't hurt to ask and say you are willing to pay for an upgrade.

I'm leaving on the Dawn tomorrow and had a quick question. When we are boarding is it possible to ask if there are any empty rooms and pay for an upgrade? Probably not possible but I figured someone here would know the answer.

Thanks.

I haven't heard of upgrades after boarding on any ship for 5 years or more, but what is wrong with asking. Usually they do have a sign that will say, ship sold out, no upgrades available....

Nita

Well, now you have. I had a gangway upgrade while boarding an MSC cruise in Italy to a balconey stateroom five decks above my reserved room.

Further, I have personal knowledge of an NCL upgrade a day after sailing. Most unusual, perhaps, but it has happened.

Every ship I have ever been on we have encountered that sign at the reception desk saying that the ship was full. I have come to realize that they seem to be lying in some cases based on my most recent cruise on The Dream. Even up to three days prior we were told by reservations agents at NCL that there was plenty of space available in oceanview or inside cabins (balconies and suites were sold out). Then we get onboard and magically everything has filled. While waiting in line at reception the woman behind us said she had called NCL just the day before and was told there was plenty of space.

At reception we had asked about changing rooms and the clerk reiterated what the sign said. He thought we were looking for an upgrade from our oceanview cabin, but we weren't as we knew the balconies were indeed sold out based on what reservations had told us. When we told him we just wanted to switch to a different oceanview cabin off of the Promenade deck his demeanor changed and he pleasantly told us to check back after 7:30pm. He said nothing could be changed prior to sailing as they wanted to get everyone checked in first. If they were definitely sold out then why would he ask us to check back again? If you're sold out, you're sold out. When we checked back after 7:30 though it was still the same story and they wouldn't budge on it.

There's only two things that I can theorize as to what happened here. Perhaps the cruiseline gives away free cabins to NCL staff at the last minute if there is empty space on ships and that's what filled it up, or maybe they have already assigned all room stewards to a set number of cabins and moving people's rooms would throw all of that off.

Basically, if you want a cabin change made do it prior to boarding.

Well, now you have. I had a gangway upgrade while boarding an MSC cruise in Italy to a balconey stateroom five decks above my reserved room.

Further, I have personal knowledge of an NCL upgrade a day after sailing. Most unusual, perhaps, but it has happened.

you are right, now I have. I really wasn't thinking of MSC as they are not usually thought of when we think of Mass Marketed lines, but probably should be. As for the day after, that I can beleive, depending on the situation, but normally, if you try the desk when boarding it will not happen. I did mention it doesn't hurt to try.

Nita

Archived