Review: A 12-day Barcelona/NCL Gem Adventure

CeleBrat

After lunch, we all pile back into the van. The guys opt for the backward seats, which works out well. We speed off through the mountains to Pompeii. Mostly, everyone just sleeps. Pasta for lunch will do that to you. And Dramamine, of course.

At Pompeii, we are met by Lucia, our pre-arranged guide for the afternoon (100E). She is a wealth of knowledge about all-things Pompeii, and takes us on an efficient circular tour of the city. We visit baths, the intact houses, the relic area, the bakery, and the brothel.

IMG_7569.jpg

IMG_7574.jpg

IMG_7584.jpg

DSCF7529.jpg

DSCF7514.jpg

DD is still feeling very green, and we end up carrying her through the entire tour. A 2-hour tour. No easy feat.

DSCF7482.jpg

DD does perk up when we see one of the occasional Pompeii dogs. They are mangy, to say the least, but they live there. I remember them being there last time I visited, 12 years ago.

DSCF7499.jpg

DS regales Lucia with his story of “By-the-way, I bought a Pompeii coin from an antiques market in Barcelona.” She smiles and nods.

An amazing fact about Pompeii: it hasn’t all been excavated yet. There is still more of the city to be found. As you exit Pompeii, you can see the current excavation efforts underway.

DSCF7554.jpg

When we arrive back at the van, exhausted after our 2-hour tour (and carrying my daughter) we are ECSTATIC to see that the seats in the van all face forward. Chris is our hero!

We dutifully pike into the van for the short drive back to the pier, where we say our goodbyes and head back to the ship. All told, we were with Chris from 8am-5:30pm. It was a long and full day.

Once onboard, we all head up to the pool area for a quick drink. DD seems to still be “out-of-it” and feels as if she’s running a fever. So, I opt to put her to bed and spend the night in the cabin, continually plying DD with Children's Tylenol every 6 hours. DH takes DS for some “man-to-man” time at the buffet for dinner, while everyone else heads to Grand Pacific for dinner. The day is capped off with Kids Club for DS, and a beer for DH.

Although I am resigned to cabin duty with sick DD, I am secretly pleased to have discovered crepes at the buffet. My dinner—2 crepes with chocolate sauce, and a little vanilla sauce on the side for good measure. Oh yeah!

Sharonax3--

Our tour guide in Naples was booked through Rome in Limo (google them to find their website) and cost 600E total for the 8 of us. We also had to pay for lunch ourselves, as well as entrance to Pompeii (11E each?) and the guide fee (100E). So, the tour was quite pricey, but we really enjoyed NOT having to be on a big bus, and loved having the freedom to ask our guide for a few extra minutes for shopping, or have him pull over to the side of the road when we saw something we really liked.

We also booked private tours in Citavecchia (Rome) and Livorno (Florence)--I just haven't gotten that far w/the review. Those tours were with RomeCabs (Rome--cost 500E) and Rome in Limo (Florence --600E).

Well worth the money spent.

CeleBrat

CeleBrat - this is a really terrific review. I am enjoying all your wonderful pictures and your travel log. Keep on writing - I'm waiting for more!

Thanks!

I am really enjoying writing this review--it's making me relive our trip.

Aaahhhhhh....

CeleBrat

Wonderful review. Love reading all about it and your pictures are fantastic.! Anxious to read about Rome and Florence, as we are on the Jade this Saturday. Your review of Barcelona was a great help because we're not on a tour just going to explore it ourselves.

Hey there,

This is great to read such a thorough review from someone else on my 7/20 roll call. It's fun to relive the week - and compare impressions. Glad you had a great cruise! Can't wait to read the rest of the review....

This is the most awesome review ever!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us!

You have a beautiful family - I feel like I was there with you!

Thank you!

...patiently awaiting the next installment...:)

Cafe Rose--

If you've never been to Pompeii, then a private guide is a must. Some of had been there before, so we could've easily used a book and navigated our way around. We were just traveling in such a large group that we thought it would be easier for (1) person to lead us around. Plus--the tour guide had lots of really neat info, which kept our DS engaged.

I promise to keep adding to the review--but I can't get to the computer tonight where our pics are stored. DH is playing computer games on it (I'm on the laptop) and although I've asked him to move, he just rolls his eyes and asks, "How long is this review of yours?"

He has no idea...

In the meanwhile, feel free to ask questions.

CeleBrat

I just really wanted to say that this is really the best review I have ever read. I love your pictures! We are doing the meditteranean cruise in March 2012 for our 10th wedding anniversary so my cruise is a loooong time away. It is nice to see what we have to look forward to! Thanks for taking the time to post so much detail. :)

Oh-my-gosh. 2012. That's forever from now!

I'm so glad I can help fill the time until then.

Thanks for reading the review--more later, if DH ever gets off the office computer! ;)

CeleBrat

Just wanted to add to what others have said...this is the best review I have ever read on this board. Loved your pictures...made me feel like I was there too. You have a lovely family. Thank you so much for taking the time to entertain us all.

Hubby and I planning on the Gem for our 20th Anniversary in December 2010...so although we too have a long time to go...your review shows that it is worth the wait.

Thanks again...

Megan

We were on the Gem in October 2007 and stayed a few days in Barcelona after the cruise. We found the Market (Mercat de St. Joseph aka La Boqueria) that Celebrat was unable to locate. It's on Las Ramblas just up from the Liceu Opera (if you are coming from the waterfront) and before the Opera if you are walking down from the Plaza Catalunya.

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=f233747383e6b15a2a944dfefaeb216b

Really enjoying your review. We're going to Barcelona to go on Jade that will call at Malta and Naples so I made some notes!

The two pictures you took in Sorrento - the sunbathers and the "beach" - sure made us laugh - nowhere as close as Bermuda/Florida/Bahamas/Caribbean!

Looking forward to reading more!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I recently booked a Med cruise for my family on the NCL Jade for next summer. We have a DD who will be 11 and a DS who will be 10. I want to make sure that they will have the best experience possible (and remember that they were in Europe instead of on a nice cruise ship). Your review provides great tips and I am very thankful. I can not wait to read the rest .

Archived