Anyone happy with RCCL land portion?

atv girl

Cardfans, Thanks for the info,I called RCCL just to see about changing and I can keep my cruise portion and change land for 200 and it add TWT, then I called back to check on another tour and they would`nt give me a price told me I needed to call my TA so I`m waiting on his call. thank you all so much for the help its appreciated.

Just a thought on this, you can do the TWT, or just take the bus from the park. This is what we decided we would do, based on the advice here. The bus is $29 for adults (significantly cheaper for kids - free under 14 in fact), goes further, and allows you get off along the way. The only thing is it doesn't have lunch, but that's a fairly small sacrifice for a massive reduction in cost.

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles/index.cfm#shuttle

Also, regarding your earlier post about getting a car in Seward than returning to Anchorage, there seem to be massive charges for doing this. In our case, we are going to seward (from Whittier) using a taxi, will stay a day in Seward, and then are going to Anchorage on a train (which everyone says is wonderful). Only then are we renting a car to go to Denali and back. There are bunches of taxi services that can take you between Whittier, Seward or Anchorage which makes the cost of changing car locations not worthwhile.

You all are so great I`ve gotten so much help.

Sfam I tried to call RCCl and they could`nt give me anytimes for our land portion so that made me nervous to wait till maybe 60days before. because I thought the same thing just ditch NHT and go on the shuttle. But I believe I solved my dilema, I`m keeping my cruise and changing the land portion to include the TWT,I`ll have to give up Talkeenta but something for next time.I`m just waiting on a call back from TA.

Vacationhead, thank you for your info, I feel the same way I want my bags there and someone to tell me where to go at least for the 1st time. I know it would prob. be cheaper and more flexible to do land on my own but right now,I`m just not that secure doing it.

atvgirl - they won't give you times even when you get your cruise documents. All they will give you is basic ideas... ie in the morning, depart for XYZ, in the afternoon arrive at ABC. This is one of the negatives some people have with landtours because it makes it difficult to plan independent excursions, although it can be done (I did it!) But you really need to be a little flexible as they can and will change things up as they need to. We didn't know the time for our Tundra Wilderness Tour shuttle until the night before the tour.

You all are so great I`ve gotten so much help.

Sfam I tried to call RCCl and they could`nt give me anytimes for our land portion so that made me nervous to wait till maybe 60days before. because I thought the same thing just ditch NHT and go on the shuttle. But I believe I solved my dilema, I`m keeping my cruise and changing the land portion to include the TWT,I`ll have to give up Talkeenta but something for next time.I`m just waiting on a call back from TA.

Vacationhead, thank you for your info, I feel the same way I want my bags there and someone to tell me where to go at least for the 1st time. I know it would prob. be cheaper and more flexible to do land on my own but right now,I`m just not that secure doing it.

If you post the actual itinerary, I can give you some guidelines on the timing. Do need to list the mode of travel.

I know I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but I just do not understand what the big issue is for doing a vacation to Alaska on your own, with a cruise tacked on the beginning or end. It's not a foreign country, after all.

If you would book an organized tour to visit someplace like Colorado or Wyoming, then I guess you would do so for Alaska. But if not, then this is really not that much different!

Hi Everyone,

I spent almost a full year reading this board and researching the cruise land tour versus independent land tour. Prior to the trip (we just returned on July 18th from RCCL #3), I was convinced that I had made the wrong decision by booking the cruisetour. However, my husband felt very strongly about not renting a car, handling the luggage, etc. He said to just go with the cruisetour. I have to say, I'm glad we did for a first cruise to Alaska! While we could have duplicated a lot of the itinerary, it was very relaxing to not have any hassles with luggage, auto, rooms, etc. I am no fan of bus tours- but I didn't feel the least bit "herded" or short on time at the stops. The information provided by the tour director and bus driver was terrific and we would have missed out on lots of details about what we were seeing as we traveled.had we been on our own. Also, the train trip on the Wilderness Express was amazing! It really is a personal decision, but honestly we add a blast and no regrets!

Alise

Alisa, thank you for your thoughts, I was feeling some regrets after reading these boards, but I know its not a foreign country or anything but having to book 4-5 different hotels and 2 maybe 3 diffrent modes of transportation just did`nt sound fun to me,with never having been.Yes when we go back once we`re familair, I`m sure we will book our own land and see things we have missed. But I like the idea of someone to guide me.

:) I just wanted to add my experience. We completed the #12 cruisetour out of Anchorage this past June. It was awesome. I fully agree with those who opt to do their own however for our first(hopefully) trip to Alaska I did not want to have to worry about car rentals, hotels etc. RCI did a wonderful job taking car of all the transportation, luggage etc. We booked excursions(TWT was one of them) through the cruise line and had no problems with any of them. I would suggest going for as long as you can which is why we choose #12. My only complaint was the food prices on the land portion. They were a bit of a shock, however I can understand considering everything has to be brought in. Our tour guide and bus driver were unbelievable. We had no stress with luggage, hotels, etc. It was all taken care of. I hope you have a good experience and enjoy your trip. By the way in June we had only 1 day with drizzle and it was our last day at sea. The weather was picture perfect.:)

Hi Everyone,

I spent almost a full year reading this board and researching the cruise land tour versus independent land tour. Prior to the trip (we just returned on July 18th from RCCL #3), I was convinced that I had made the wrong decision by booking the cruisetour. However, my husband felt very strongly about not renting a car, handling the luggage, etc. He said to just go with the cruisetour. I have to say, I'm glad we did for a first cruise to Alaska! While we could have duplicated a lot of the itinerary, it was very relaxing to not have any hassles with luggage, auto, rooms, etc. I am no fan of bus tours- but I didn't feel the least bit "herded" or short on time at the stops. The information provided by the tour director and bus driver was terrific and we would have missed out on lots of details about what we were seeing as we traveled.had we been on our own. Also, the train trip on the Wilderness Express was amazing! It really is a personal decision, but honestly we add a blast and no regrets!

Alise

I agree with your thoughts. I have not taken my cruisetour yet but we are going next July. One thing I like about the cruisetour is we will both get to see it all and enjoy it together without one of us having to haul luggage, and drive. Also, sometimes we might pass by something and not stop for whatever reason. This time someone will be in charge of getting us there and taking care of our luggage. Thanks for the post.. I also, after reading the posts, am worried about making the wrong decision. Thanks for the post.

We have done land tours on our own and we also did a cruisetour in Europe last August. The Europe cruisetour was wonderful and we are so looking forward to our Alaska cruisetour. The Tour Director enhanced our trip so much. We also did things on our own outside of the group. And as me00930 stated, you both get to see everything. When we did our own land tour, my husband did the driving and missed out on a lot of opportunities to see things or both of us missing out because I was reading the map. We are doing Celebrity #6 starting in Fairbanks and will have my parents with us. This way we can all sit back and enjoy and no one gets overtired with all the driving. It is so nice to just walk out of your room with just your carryon tote and not worry about struggling with suitcases!

Has anyone done cruisetour #16? We are looking for some comments. There are six of us going next July. Can't wait.

I should add that it is on the Radiance of the Sea. Forgot I was on the Alaska thread not RCCL.

We went on a RCCL cruisetour this past June. We had a great time and yes our tour included the NHT tour. Parts of it are hockey but we did see moose and dall sheep and other wild life but not any bears there but that is not promised on any tour. We saw bears later in the week. After our tour we had dinner at the Grande Denali Lodge and relaxed while looking at the scenery. I really loved our time there and didn't feel I missed anything. Just my opinion though. Just go and have a great time! No matter what you decide it won't be wrong.:)

Thank you all so much,I love hearing the honesty and opions of everyone, you can never have too much knowledge

I have`nt done any tours just be sure to read that it hits all the places you want.that was my mistake i just wanted to go to alaska and never thought about what I wanted to see, and because I had to change my tour I ended up paying 120 more for each air and 40 each for the travel ins. then but it was worth it to me. I`m on RCCL too.

Has anyone done cruisetour #16? We are looking for some comments. There are six of us going next July. Can't wait.

I'll assume, you have read these boards on cruisetours??? Since you ask, this tour is definately lacking in that it only has the Denali Park Natural History tour. The timeframe does not allow for any other option, UNLESS, you are willing to consider the last Toklat shuttle, if available.

You also completely miss Seward.

You probably already know all this, and not sure what you are looking for in feedback?? If it were me, this is a cruisetour I would never consider.

Well, it is kind of too late now. There are six of us and that was what we deided because we wanted to do as much train as possible It is our first trip to Alaska and I am sure we will enjoy and be in awe of the beauty of it.

Me9230, its prob not too late you could just call and ck how much it would be to change it up if you want never hurts to ask,I was surprized ours was like 680 or 700 to add another whole day and the thing that hurt they changed what they charged for air and that was like 260 of it and another 100 for the ins. so for around 350 we were able to get another day. but like most people say theres no bad trip to alaska.I`m sure us 1st timers will be in ah of it all

We do not have our air fare yet because it is smore thaan 333 days till our return. I will look at getting on the TWT instead of the NHT. We get in Denali one afternoon and leave the next afternoon. If I can't do that, I might look into staying an extra day. But either way this is my first time so I know I will be awed. Maybe it will be a perfect reason to go back and venture further.

We do not have our air fare yet because it is smore thaan 333 days till our return. I will look at getting on the TWT instead of the NHT. We get in Denali one afternoon and leave the next afternoon. If I can't do that, I might look into staying an extra day. But either way this is my first time so I know I will be awed. Maybe it will be a perfect reason to go back and venture further.

Frankly, with you going next year and no air yet, change this. This cruisetour you have selected is a mistake. The train is grossly superior on the Anchorage/Seward segment. The Anchorage/Talkeetna/Denali/Fairbanks, train, just about parallels the Parks Highway.

Frankly, with you going next year and no air yet, change this. This cruisetour you have selected is a mistake. The train is grossly superior on the Anchorage/Seward segment. The Anchorage/Talkeetna/Denali/Fairbanks, train, just about parallels the Parks Highway.

Would that be cruisetour #17? It looks like the cruise part is the same the only difference is you miss Alyeska but you get 2 days at Denali and you get the TWT. Would we lose our cabins on the cruise part? I have 1104 in the aft and don't want to give that up.

Thanks for your input.

We went on a RCCL cruisetour this past June. We had a great time and yes our tour included the NHT tour. Parts of it are hockey but we did see moose and dall sheep and other wild life but not any bears there but that is not promised on any tour. We saw bears later in the week. After our tour we had dinner at the Grande Denali Lodge and relaxed while looking at the scenery. I really loved our time there and didn't feel I missed anything. Just my opinion though. Just go and have a great time! No matter what you decide it won't be wrong.:)

Which cruissetour did you go on?

Would that be cruisetour #17? It looks like the cruise part is the same the only difference is you miss Alyeska but you get 2 days at Denali and you get the TWT. Would we lose our cabins on the cruise part? I have 1104 in the aft and don't want to give that up.

Thanks for your input.

You would not lose your cabins. The cruise and land portion are really separate things and you can book one without the other.

Archived