Need insulin refrigerated and found that inside rooms dont have fridges on GOS

Just wondering what do we do. I have to take the insulin daily and it has to stay cool. I assume I can contact my TA and have them ask Royal Caribean what to do.

Call RCI directly. They have an office that handles accommodations for medical needs. We had to do this several years ago for a cruise on the Grandeur, and it was not a problem.

Mike

I just clicked off an email to my TA, will let you know when I get a reply. Since we still have 40+ days left, no biggie yet. Our last two cruises we had fridges. Did not even think about this on an inside room.

Insulin is good for 30 days without being refrigerated. My husband was diabetic and never refrigerated his after a bottle was opened. This was OK'd by his doctor. You can also keep it in the ice bucket in your cabin or take a small fold up cooler or insulated lunch bag. Your cabin steward will keep ice in it if you ask.

DO NOT STORE IT IN THE ICE BUCKET......THE CABIN GIRL DUMPED MY ICE A FEW YEARS AGO WITH MY INSULIN IN IT!!!!!

She went down to the ice room and chiseled it out but i was panicked.

If a fridge isn't waiting for you in your room just tell the cabin steward and they will bring one. When we have interiors I don't even call ahead of time.....it was NEVER there when I did!

I have to pay for my Lantus (insulin) and it usually last for up to 60 days in my refrigerator. I know packages say it is good at room temps for up to 30 days but since I have to pay so much for it, I want it to last as long as the bottle has some in it.

thanks for the info.

We bought an electric container that holds three bottles of insulin. It is so much easier that getting a refrigerator in hotels. It cost about 50 and will keep it cold for 12 hours without being plugged in. Got it was the internet - just look up insulin supplies. We used the ice bucker one time but be sure to let them know this. They also offered to store it and you could just come down and get your shot when you needed it.

Hey coop,

i take Lantus too.....I just got rid of the syringe and bottle and got the prefilled pens..love them!!!!!

I also take Humalog in the pens!!!!!!!!!

A1C was 5.3 last month.....down from 9.2 3 years ago.....I only cheat I cruises!!! I hope you are under control.

Enjoy your trip!!!!

Ruth

From RCI website:

To customize your accommodations to meet your specific needs, call (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us.

With all due respect to TAs, I would take care of it on my own. One less person involved.

Mike

Royal Caribbean will provide you with a frig if you let them know. We did a family cruise two years ago and my daughter's cabin (she's diabetic) didn't have a frig but they moved in a small portable one. It was all arranged before hand.

Your TA can contact the cruiseline's Special Needs department and a mini-fridge will be waiting for you, along with a sharps container for your needle disposal.

I've heard that some insulin types are fine for up to 30 days unrefrigerated, while others need refrigeration at all times.

I read all the responses. We booked through a TA - but I took care of the special needs myself - via email - so I had it in writing.

All you have to do is email them (email addy in another post) and tell them Reservation number, ship, sailing date, pax name and what you need. You'll first get an automated response, then a human response that it's been noted. Print it out and take with you.

Just wondering what do we do. I have to take the insulin daily and it has to stay cool. I assume I can contact my TA and have them ask Royal Caribean what to do.

TA already emailed them and will email me with the confirmation letter from RC when they get it. I will be getting a fridge and sharps container. Thanks everyone. I will ask the doctor about getting the pens. I do 50 units each night before bed and my sugar is under control. I also take two pills, 2 x 1000mg of metformin and 45mg of Actos. Its a lot but it does the trick. I also cheat on cruises and vacations and just take a little more insulin then, just keep extra test strips to make sure all is under control.

My last reading was well over 11, 2 months ago it was down to 7 so hoping to get it 5 or under, never has been but still hoping.

TA already emailed them and will email me with the confirmation letter from RC when they get it. I will be getting a fridge and sharps container. Thanks everyone. I will ask the doctor about getting the pens. I do 50 units each night before bed and my sugar is under control. I also take two pills, 2 x 1000mg of metformin and 45mg of Actos. Its a lot but it does the trick. I also cheat on cruises and vacations and just take a little more insulin then, just keep extra test strips to make sure all is under control.

My last reading was well over 11, 2 months ago it was down to 7 so hoping to get it 5 or under, never has been but still hoping.

Keep trying, it takes a long time to come down BUT 7 is great compared to 11! i also take actos once a day!

The cheating I do on cruises is fun.....cereal and bagels and lots of cheese and fruit!!!

I take 84 units of lantus each night and 1 unit of humalog for every 5 carbs i eat. I do 15 mg of actos in the morning.

My husband is diabetic and we have been cruising for quite a long time. We have never had a problem getting a refrigerator on any ship. Many times we've just asked the cabin steward the first time we saw him and it was not a problem. Oh....and by the way....the pen is the way to go!

You can do any one of the following: Store the meds in a glass in the ice bucket ( OP said her meds got dumped out one:eek: ) you can use a small thermos that keeps things hot/cold with a few ice cubes in it, or request a small fridge brought into your cabin. I have found the cabin attendent ALWAYS very helpful. All cruise lines get these kinds of requests every day.

In fact, the colder the insulin the "stingier" the injection. I use the pen and don't refrigerate after first use.

Just an aside - I read a lot of posters saying that they use a TA because they can take care of problems for them. Here we are getting advice to take care of these "important" types of problems yourself. Kind of contradictory!

Peter (yes, the one that thinks TA's are a waste of time)

Check with your doctor. Insulin does not need to be refrigerated.

Don't give out this kind of information unless you know what you are talking about. Some insulins DO need refrigeration at all times!!!

Don't give out this kind of information unless you know what you are talking about. Some insulins DO need refrigeration at all times!!!

OK doc, what kinds? The OP uses lantus and it doesn't require refrigeration for 30 days once opened.

Peter

OK doc, what kinds? The OP uses lantus and it doesn't require refrigeration for 30 days once opened.

Peter

Well maybe you guys just happen to know more than my doc and pharmacy.

When I received my prescriptions for insulin, it reads on the package, "keep refrigerated before and after initial use and do not freeze". I will go with my doc and pharmacist before I take any of your advice. My health is more important to me other than to listen and take advice from a cruise internet post. So I will keep mine refrigerated. It is not Lantus.

Archived