Caribbean Princess...are there problems?

jeff1948

Hello: I have heard that there may be some problems with the Caribbean Princess. Several travelers on-board have indicated that there are/were: shortened port times, elimination of some scheduled ports, slow travel speed, and diminished air-conditioning. Supposedly these are the results of a non-functioning/mal-functioning generator that is to be replaced during dry-dock after this fall's cruising season. I have called Princess several times but have received no information from their sources (who have all denied that these problems are even occuring).

If you have reliable information on the above situations, and also have the name/number/e-mail of someone within Princess who can actually speak on these issues, I would be extremely grateful, and I am sure others would appreciate the information.

We are scheduled to cruise on October 26, and as this is our first Princess experience we would like it to be as stress-free as possible.

Thank you.

Jeff :confused:

Hello: I have heard that there may be some problems with the Caribbean Princess. Several travelers on-board have indicated that there are/were: shortened port times, elimination of some scheduled ports, slow travel speed, and diminished air-conditioning. Supposedly these are the results of a non-functioning/mal-functioning generator that is to be replaced during dry-dock after this fall's cruising season. I have called Princess several times but have received no information from their sources (who have all denied that these problems are even occuring).

If you have reliable information on the above situations, and also have the name/number/e-mail of someone within Princess who can actually speak on these issues, I would be extremely grateful, and I am sure others would appreciate the information.

We are scheduled to cruise on October 26, and as this is our first Princess experience we would like it to be as stress-free as possible.

Thank you.

Jeff :confused:

There have been lots of threads on this very subject over the last 6 weeks. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=801306&highlight=engine+problems

Hi Jeff, we're on the same repo as you. It sounds like port times have changed a little, but other than that I haven't heard anything recently. I wouldn't try too hard to get an answer from Princess - the phone reps probably don't have any idea what the day-to-day situation is and certainly won't be able to tell you what might happen 12 weeks from now.

The Princess web site has a News story which states that the ship is going in for some major work in January '09. Among the many improvements they have in store, they paln to replace the engine that is currently not operable.

Do you honestly think they would say, "Yes Jeff the Caribbean has some minor issues. We have cut times at ports, and even changed ports. Would you like to book a cruise?"

No one knows for sure exactly why or what the reasons are.

Whatever the reason, we as paying passengers should know the truth.

The decent thing Princess should do is place an article in their News Section.

Our itinerary hasn't changed yet. Have been looking at the Cruise Personalizer frequently.

I doubt they would post changes on the personalizer. I'm leaving the possibility of a surprise itinerary open. It's odd that no excursions have been posted yet, either.

I doubt they would post changes on the personalizer. I'm leaving the possibility of a surprise itinerary open. It's odd that no excursions have been posted yet, either.

They do (and did) post the changes to the itineraries on cruise personalizer after you sign in, in your cruise summary. Most cruises the excursions open 60 days prior to the start of the cruise.

That's how we found out about the change. :(

The change was right there - in Black and White!!!

Then a few weeks later received a urgent message from Princess. :rolleyes:

I don't think New England-Canada will be affected with port changes\time.

Otherwise it would be showing up in your Personalizer already.

Personally, I still feel the problem lies with conserving gas.

We were on July 10th cruise. Bermuda was cancelled because of Bertha. Air was a little sluggish, but they seemed to fix it when we complained. St. Thomas was shortened. We had three days as sea, but beauitful weather and had a great time. Food was wonderful. I would suggest making reservations if you have anytime dining.

Archived