Wings Wildlife Park - Burnie Tasmania

luvtahiti

Has anyone been to Wings Wildlife Park near Burnie? Opinion of it, please. We are looking to see Tasmanian wildlife like the quolls, devils, etc. we will already have visited the Australian Zoo and Featherdale. Will Wings offer anything more than we will have already seen?

Thanks

Has anyone been to Wings Wildlife Park near Burnie? Opinion of it, please. We are looking to see Tasmanian wildlife like the quolls, devils, etc. we will already have visited the Australian Zoo and Featherdale. Will Wings offer anything more than we will have already seen?

Thanks

One of the port calls on our Sapphire Princess cruise from Sydney to Los Angeles this past April was in Hobart, Tasmania. We used a company by the name of Lets Show You Tasmania Tours www.showyoutasmania.com.au for a full-day tour that included a visit to the Bonorong Park Wildlife Center www.traveldownunder.com.au/Tasmania/South/Bonorong_Wildlife_Park.asp;

a city tour of Hobart with a drive to the top of Mt. Wellington for a scenic view of the city and harbor; a lunch stop in historic Richmond; and wine tasting at the Meadow Bank Estate Winery www.meadowbankwines.com.au. Everything about the tour including the guide was wonderful. I highly recommend this company. Contact information for Heather Henri, Managing Director, is as follows:

Heather Henri, Managing Director

Lets Show You TasmaniaTours

POBOX 188South HobartTasmania 7004

Phone: (03) 6224 2782

Mobile: 0418 576 489

Email: heather@showyoutasmania.com.au

www.showyoutasmania.com.au

I hope this helps,

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Burnie is on the Northern Coast of Tasmania - a long distance from Hobart. We took a tour that we booked at the tourist centre downtown in Burnie that took us to Wings. It's a small, laid back, family-run wildlife park. The charm of it is that you could touch the animals (which were held by the staff) and get quite close to them.

It's a beautiful drive through the countryside and that was the best part of the trip.

If we were going to Burnie again I'd take the longer trip to Cradle Mountain.

We were at Wings a few years ago during a port visit on HAL Statendam. It was very well done. It is a family operation, and you can tell that it is a labor of love for them. Most of the animals are "rescued" following run ins with cars and such, and have become too familiar with human interaction to be let loose again (or have injuries that would cause them to be unable to survive without human intervention).

I agree that the drive to Wings is beautiful. Undulating hills, valleys, grass, and sheep farms.

Cradle Mountain is a much longer drive, but I think I would take that trip if I ever were to go back on a cruise to Burnie.

We also enjoyed walking about the Burnie downtown area. It reminded us of a small American town in the 1950s like we grew up in -- before supermarkets, Walmarts, and Home Depots.

Archived