Outside cabin category 08 query

Puska

Hello all.

I am a bit perplexed with this cabin. My travel agent advised that an Outside cabin category 08 is the same as a Y

Guarantee - Oceanview. We booked a category on the basis of the information provided by her. We have not been assigned a room number of as yet.

Is this the case? As when I checked on Celebrity website it actually shows that the Y Guarantee - Oceanview cabin is sold out but category 8 is still available.

I would be grateful if anybody could put any light on this as the agent has told a few porkies in relation to this booking and this would really be the last straw:(

Thanks

I'll jump in and try answering this one. 8 is an actual cabin category of ocean view cabins. If you look at the ship's deck plan, it shows all the category 8 cabins. If you book that category, you can pick any available cabin you like within that category.

The Y guarantee is an artificially created category that the cruise line uses to give them flexibility in the assignment of unsold cabins. If you look at the ship's deck plan, you can see that there are no Y cabins.

If you book the Y category, you do not get to pick your own cabin or location but leave it up to the cruise line to assign a cabin to you. Basically, it guarantees only that you will be assigned a cabin on the ship and it will not be an inside cabin. So if you book category Y, it is true that you may be assigned a category 8 cabin or you may be assigned any other available ocean view cabin located anywhere on the ship, or you may even get lucky and be assigned a higher category cabin.

The guarantee categories are usually (but not always) priced lower than the equivalent "real" categories where you get to pick your own cabin. If they show the Y Guarantee category as "sold out" when other ocean view categories are available, it only means that they are not offering the Y option at this time because they do not need it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all.

I am a bit perplexed with this cabin. My travel agent advised that an Outside cabin category 08 is the same as a Y

Guarantee - Oceanview. We booked a category on the basis of the information provided by her. We have not been assigned a room number of as yet.

Is this the case? As when I checked on Celebrity website it actually shows that the Y Guarantee - Oceanview cabin is sold out but category 8 is still available.

I would be grateful if anybody could put any light on this as the agent has told a few porkies in relation to this booking and this would really be the last straw:(

Thanks

have you been assigned a cabin yet? which ship is this on?

we are having an awful time...went for this guarantee and will probably go back to an inside mid ship....

I have booked GTY cabins on X 4 times...1st time....cat 7 gty on Zenith...bumped up to cat4 ...Balcony gty on Galaxy twice...got a nice 2b and 2a...balcony gty on Millie, got lovely CC.....all the luck of the draw. You have to weigh the risk of getting the bottom of what you booked (which I have been fine with)...but I love the challenge to see what we get .....GTY wasn't available on the next cruise so I went direct!

Archived