Costa Maya yet???

crusingici

I posted in the Costa Maya area but no definite news....

I read on several threads that some ships were to port in Costa Maya in late July -- just curious if any did -- does anyone know for sure?

I was not sure if it was Carnival or another line.....

Thanks for the info -- we all look forward to reports in a few months from the first visitors!

Late October is when the first ship comes back. We will be the 4th ship to dock there when I go on my NCL Spirit cruise.

Dave

I read somewhere that Disney Cruise Line's Disney Magic will be the first cruise ship to return to the port since Hurricane Dean on September 30, 2008.

Never mind....I just went to the cruise critic link above and saw that the Disney Cruise is not going to be the first now.

I read somewhere that Disney Cruise Line's Disney Magic will be the first cruise ship to return to the port since Hurricane Dean on September 30, 2008.

Never mind....I just went to the cruise critic link above and saw that the Disney Cruise is not going to be the first now.

Not true! Disney has specifically denied this. First cruise ship currently scheduled to dock there is in late October.

Not true! Disney has specifically denied this. First cruise ship currently scheduled to dock there is in late October.

Sorry Cruzman, but I already edited my reply, so since you even quoted my edit too, I was wondering if my first part was not true or the second part. Have a good evening.

I fear when it wont resemble the CM we all grew to love.

Totally agree.

The quaint little fishing village I fear is forever gone.

Everybody is so anxious to get back.

But usually everybody's favorite part was the little dive bars, that apparently have been outlawed on the oceanside of the new PAVED main street.

For those who never left the fake, cruiseline built pier area, I'm sure that will be the same or better than before.

Bill

Totally agree.

But usually everybody's favorite part was the little dive bars, that apparently have been outlawed on the oceanside of the new PAVED main street.

For those who never left the fake, cruiseline built pier area, I'm sure that will be the same or better than before.

Bill

Does that mean the bars on the beach with the swings at the bars and the massage tables are gone for good? I hope not, the dirt road and cool little shops and bars are what made that port so special!:mad:

Totally agree.

Bill

I agree it won't be the same...We went to fisherman's villiage as soon as we got off the ship.....I'm going to miss the old shops and bars....Dennis

Does that mean the bars on the beach with the swings at the bars and the massage tables are gone for good? I hope not, the dirt road and cool little shops and bars are what made that port so special!:mad:

What you will have is

The water

Beach and palm trees

A paved walkway

A roadway

The shops and restaurants

Here is a picture from Progreso which will be similar in design.

progreso-aerial.jpg

Sorry Cruzman, but I already edited my reply, so since you even quoted my edit too, I was wondering if my first part was not true or the second part. Have a good evening.

Sorry, but the edit wasn't there when I posted; at least I didn't see it.

Totally agree.

Bill

I am hoping that the massive concrete wall which served to deter folks from accessing the Chac Chi resort is gone. Realistically however , I will likely be disappointed. If that's the case, I'll have to find a new way to get over there.

CM was my moms favorite port, so much that she was thinking of purchasing a home there. I believe once it recovers she will purchase a home so she can "give back" to the rebuilding. Which is fine by me :)

Does anyone know which ships plan to go there. we are booked on the Freedom in January and a few people have said they will switch out Cozumel for CM - I wish we knew :confused:

CM was my moms favorite port, so much that she was thinking of purchasing a home there. I believe once it recovers she will purchase a home so she can "give back" to the rebuilding. Which is fine by me :)

Does anyone know which ships plan to go there. we are booked on the Freedom in January and a few people have said they will switch out Cozumel for CM - I wish we knew :confused:

Follow the link in post #6 upthread. ;) :)

I am hoping that the massive concrete wall which served to deter folks from accessing the Chac Chi resort is gone. Realistically however , I will likely be disappointed. If that's the case, I'll have to find a new way to get over there.

The wall survived Hurricane Dean, but Chac-Chi will be back - hopefully by the time the cruisers start showing up. They do hope to have easier access, wall or no wall.

Totally agree.

Bill

This is what I fear also. I went to Costa Maya two times and thanks to the great advice from this board, I always headed to Majahual. You were seeing a piece of Mexico that 99% of the people on the ship never experience. I also knew it was a great place to hang out when crew members from the ships in port were also hanging there. I never forget when I returned the second time four months later, that they still remember me my name and greeted my like an old friend. My jaw just dropped when this occured and I considered it as one of my best cruise memories.

I want to visit Majahual again, but I fear the sleepy village is no more :( . I guess we will have to wait until the first ships visit to find out about our beloved Majahual.

Happy sailing!!

There is something to throw in on the sleepy little village. If it wasn't for the cooperation of the developers of Costa Maya and the jont effort of the Mexican Government Majahaul would probably be no more. Yes it was rebuilt more touristy but in the end the people that lived there are still there. They will still be the happy smiling people thay have always been. They are probably very happy that the Gov and the developers of CM got together and did this. They have their homes...a livelyhood and a new roof over their heads. They are iving where they grew up as did their parents and their parents parents.

It is a win win for the people, the tourists, the government and the CM developer that depended on the peoople from Majahaul to staff the port...

Maybe we should send this group to New Orleans to help.....;)

I hope no one takes offense from this comment but there is alot to be learned here......;)

Archived