Topolobampo?

NW Pacific

No real port, no real town, no real anything. Ships go there for one reason only - to sell an excursion to the copper canyon. Similar to the grand canyon. My understanding is that it is bigger, but I don't think as colorful as the grand canyon. It's a very long train ride there and back.

So I think you basically have a choice of either relaxing on the ship for the day, or taking the excursion to copper canyon. Others may have more information. HAL also has ships that run that route as well. I would look at the ship reviews for both NCL and HAL and find the ones that went there and you will probably get more information.

We went by tour bus to the nearby town, Los Moches but there was not very much to see. We wish we would have take the ship's shuttle to the nearby beach. We talked to alot of people who had a great day sunning, swimming and enjoying the small restaurant/bars there. The Copper River tour was way too long for us- I think you left the ship at about 5am and didn't return until about 11pm. Most of that time was on a train or bus!

This stop is on the Sun's itinerary for Oct. 2009, anyone have information about this Port?? Almost 2 days there? Close to La Paz[/quote

Sun arrives early morning the leaves right after midnight-- it does

not spend two days in this port.( about 20 hours)

Bir Green

We did the Copper Canyon tour March 2008 while on the Ryndam. The all day bus to train to canyon top viewing was about 18 hours and expensive. We did it because we don't know if/when we will get the opportunity to do so again. It was a very interesting tour and I am glad we went. Would I do it again? Probably not, once was enough. LONG LONG DAY. Many who didn't take the Copper Canyon tour stayed on the ship. Topolobampo is a commercial port - the said it was the second deepest port in the world.

Hi, KSCinCA! :)

We also visited this port on the Ryndam. We booked an excursion through the ship, as there was very little info about the port and independent excursions. Yes, the port is primarily for Copper Canyon, but there were some interesting excursions in addition to Copper Canyon. We did the Land of Zorro and river float trip. We were bussed (in very nice and comfortable coach buses) to El Fuerte, where we took our river float trip and then went to a nice restaurant for lunch and a presentation by some dancers. We had a bit of time to stroll around town. Some of the other excursions were a dolphin cruise in the bay and there was a shuttle to Los Mochis, which is the nearest town to the port.

Hi Becky! As you can see from my tiny signature line we have another Mexican Riviera cruise booked for December. What about you? Anything on the books?

Karen, no, nothing on the books for this year (boo hoo!). I am looking at something for next spring. Enjoy planning your Dec. cruise!

Becki

Archived