Moby Dicks vs. Capt marvins

candlecamp

o.k., so i have been reading the posts regarding stingray city. we are going to be in caymen in oct and would like to see stingray city and come right back so we can enjoy the beautiful 7 mile beach for lunch and swimming. is either of these places offering just stingray city? also are there any hotels that do not offer day passes?

We just did Stingray city through Moby Dick's. After you do Stingray City they take you out to a reef to snorkel. (It's not far from the sandbar - we could see the other boats still at stingray city.) If you want, when you are done they will drop you off at 7 Mile Beach instead of back at the pier. We didn't get off, but a lot of people did. It was probably right around 12:30 when they were dropping people off at 7 Mile Beach. We really enjoyed this tour!

We just got back last night from the 7/27 Conquest cruise. We used Moby Dick and LOVED them! They took ust snorkeling first, then to Stingray city. They wouls have dropped us off at 7 mile beach, but we had a baby and my 70 year old dad with us. They were ready to get back.This company is fabulous! We loved them!

I am looking for excursions for when we are in GC and was wondering how hard it was to get in/out of the boat. I am a tall plus size gal. On top of that I had surgery 2 years ago and my right arm/shoulder is basically 'frozen' and of limited use. I'm afraid that if I get off the boat it will be too hard for me to climb/pull myself up on the back of the boat.

Did you find it difficult? Do you remember how far down the ladder extended into the water?

Thanks!

I am looking for excursions for when we are in GC and was wondering how hard it was to get in/out of the boat. I am a tall plus size gal. On top of that I had surgery 2 years ago and my right arm/shoulder is basically 'frozen' and of limited use. I'm afraid that if I get off the boat it will be too hard for me to climb/pull myself up on the back of the boat.

Did you find it difficult? Do you remember how far down the ladder extended into the water?

Thanks!

Here's a picture that shows the ladder on the Moby Dick boat

342630007_2TWZt-M.jpg

I'm sure the guides would be happy to help you out if you had trouble. Ours were very willing to help anyone who needed it!

Just returned from the Carnival Legend and used Moby Dick's in Grand Caymen. Add me to the long list of their fans! We had a wonderful experience with them. One of the highlights of our cruise, for sure! :) They will drop you off at the beach if you want. We chose not to do this, but you would have plenty of time for lunch and "beaching!"

Just a few questions regarding Moby Dick's. how far in advance should you make your reservations? We are going to be in the Caymens on Oct 7th. I would like to get the early charter so that way we have time to just walked around and do some shopping after we are done. Also, did everyone snorkel or did some people stay on the boat? One of the individuals in our party isnt fond of snorkeling. Thanks for all the information..

Just a few questions regarding Moby Dick's. how far in advance should you make your reservations? We are going to be in the Caymens on Oct 7th. I would like to get the early charter so that way we have time to just walked around and do some shopping after we are done. Also, did everyone snorkel or did some people stay on the boat? One of the individuals in our party isnt fond of snorkeling. Thanks for all the information..

If I were you, I would book as soon as you are sure that is what you want to do while in GC. We also wanted the early tour b/c we wanted some time to have lunch and shop a little bit before having the head back to the ship. That way you can be sure to have the earlier time that you are wanting.

Everyone that was on our excursion did snorkel. But, it would be absolutely no big deal if you didn't want to either. One of the guides stayed on the boat the whole time just to be sure if anybody needed anything (like mask defogger, or help with any equipment or just help back on the boat) he was there to lend a hand. While the other guide was in the water with us. He even lured a eel out of hiding and fed it so we could see it. It was sooo cool. When I had enough, I just same back to the boat and the guide helped me right back on board. I would of felt totally comfortable staying right on the boat and talking with him and watching everybody else if I so chose. So, if your friend dosen't want to participate in the snorkeling portion of the trip, no big deal. He or she will have a blast anyway!!

Have fun!! I'm jealous!! I wish I was there right now!!

Marianne:D

Also, we booked them in December - when we met them at pier, they advised that water was really rough and did we still want to go. We decided to still go ahead - rough is not the word for it ... they wound up cancelling the tour and taking us all back to pier. They refunded our money with no problems ... we will definitely use them again. They got a big tip from us as well for their concern for our safety.

In response to one of the other posters - I am also plus size and mature to boot ... I'm also very short lady with bad knees - I had no problem getting on and off the boat. My problem was even though the water is very shallow the waves kept going over my head so I finally gave up and got back in the boat - this was our first time there on Captain Marvin's boat.

Did the Captain Marvin's tour include squid to feed to the stingray's? The website for Moby Dicks mentions that the price includes food to feed the rays, but the Captain Marvin website does not mention it.

Where does Moby Dick drop you off on 7 mile beach? I wanted to head near the Reef Grill area after snorkeling and seeing the stingrays. I would prefer going on a catamaran but since I keep reading such good things about this excursion and they will drop you off right at the beach, I'm still debating.

Thanks!

Let's keep our fingers crossed for our friends in in Grand Cayman. Gustav is going to beat the tar out of them in a few short hours. When we were there in 2005 there was still a lot of damage from the previous storm left over. It could be a full on mess there very shortly.

Archived