Advisory : HAL Refund Policy

flatraffic

When was your final payment date? Did you have travel insurance on the booking???? If so, through who??? The answers to those questions can make all the difference in the world.

September would have been the final date, but we paid it off last week. Insurance is through HAL.

I was told that I couldn't make any changes because it had been more than 48 hours since the final payment was made.

I've run into a case recently (July) for a trip scheduled in Dec. on our roll call where one of the posters had booked HAL air and was "encouraged" to pay early to lock in the air.

That is interesting. I've got HAL air and my final payment is Aug 12/08 for my Nov. cruise. I haven't heard a peep about final payment and it's days away.

September would have been the final date, but we paid it off last week. Insurance is through HAL.

I was told that I couldn't make any changes because it had been more than 48 hours since the final payment was made.

If it's still before final payment date, I believe you can still cancel and get a full refund....less the insurance cost.

So the question is, is the price reduction higher than your insurance cost?

If it's still before final payment date, I believe you can still cancel and get a full refund....less the insurance cost.

So the question is, is the price reduction higher than your insurance cost?

Correct about the refund, but the insurance cost wipes out the savings. Same ship, same class of room, same sailing but no shipboard credit for the difference in cabin rate,or refund to the credit card. Nada. I understand travel agencies buy in bulk and that is how they get discounted rates. Again, my beef is the lack of any sort of discussion to see if there could be a halfway point met between myself and HAL.

What would be the point of discussion if they knew after lengthy discussion their decision would be the same?

They can and have taken a position (perhaps unliked or unpopular) and this is not a new or first time they have taken this position. Truthfully, I do not necessarily think them wrong. (VERY unpopular thing for me to say, I am sure.) Why waste their time or yours if they have reached a firm decision?

It is my understanding that if you cancel a cruise and have insurance, you dont get the insurance cost back, but can transfer the insurance to another booking. (from my TA)

Host Dan

Correct about the refund, but the insurance cost wipes out the savings. Same ship, same class of room, same sailing but no shipboard credit for the difference in cabin rate,or refund to the credit card. Nada. I understand travel agencies buy in bulk and that is how they get discounted rates. Again, my beef is the lack of any sort of discussion to see if there could be a halfway point met between myself and HAL.

It seems to me that if you're still a month or so away from final payment due date, regardless of whether or not you paid in full early, HAL should refund the money. It should be based on the final payment DUE date, not the date you opted to pay (since it appears you opted to pay early). I would call HAL again and ask to speak to a supervisor and not give up until you get the desired outcome. Press the issue that you are still outside the final payment due date; maybe they misunderstood when you spoke with them previously.

I may be wrong but I think most of the statements made as pertains to refunds etc state 'before final payment' and 'after final payment'. I know that seems like nit picking but IF that is the verbage, it is different, of course, from "final payment due date".

It is my understanding that if you cancel a cruise and have insurance, you dont get the insurance cost back, but can transfer the insurance to another booking. (from my TA)

Host Dan

Exactly, as long as you do so before final payment date!

Host Dan

You're right about the insurance and that's fair. I would have liked to kept the insurance anyway since it is non refundable.

Exactly, as long as you do so before final payment date!

Yep. That's what bit me. Like I said, lesson learned. HAL has their money and all the cards. I'm just focusing now on what to pack for the trip.

Thanks for letting me have my say.

I don't want to create a debate but here is what happened to me:

Booked via Internet TA (local TA was over $1000 higher)

paid final payment 60 days out

cabin price dropped $437 total for two passengers

TA called HAL and requested either $437 refund or upgrade to next level of cabin, which was now priced at $545 more than our current class of cabin

HAL offered me a choice of $437 refund or they keep the money and give me an upgrade to next level for $108

I took the upgrade

Maybe I got lucky. So much for the myth about poor service from Internet TA's.

I may be wrong but I think most of the statements made as pertains to refunds etc state 'before final payment' and 'after final payment'. I know that seems like nit picking but IF that is the verbage, it is different, of course, from "final payment due date".

From HAL's terms/conditions:

Cancellation Policies

For most cruises and cruisetours, a full refund (except for amounts paid for Cancellation Protection Plan) will be made for written cancellations received by Holland America, 300 Elliott Ave. West, Seattle, WA 98119 at least 76 days before the date on which you are to commence travel (by air, rail, sea or otherwise).

The exceptions to this have been Grand Voyages and World Cruises with earleir final payment dates.

The problem is HAL's insurance (which I often use). I ran into this issue last year but it was after I had transfered to an outside TA. Two letters to HAL had the situation resolved. The TA said they get the better pricing for clients all the time (prior to final payment), but HAL said we would loose our insurance and have to repay for it (????) because it required a re-booking to get the discount offered by the TA (this time it was in the form of OBC). After writing to "Seattle" (two times), because it made no sense to pay a premium for their insurance and then be penalized, I finally received my OBC and a letter stating that the insurance was transferable up until final payment. At first I was told the insurance was only transferable to a different cruise and not the same one. which made no sense because then if you used HAL's insurance you could not get any price reduction prior to final payment, and that was my issue.

You're right about the insurance and that's fair. I would have liked to kept the insurance anyway since it is non refundable.

Also note, if you cancel at 31 days you get a 95% refund back on your credit card. It is 10% from day 30 to 24 hours prior to departure. Of course you do not get the insurance cost back.

:confused:

Why has no one mentioned that early pay gets a discount?:confused:

I have paid that early on several cruises and gotten a discount much larger than the lost interest on the funds. Mostly the cruise has sold the cabin catagory or location I had booked by booking early, so I'm happy.:D Especially when I have booked a cabin next to the catagory higher! $400 to spend onboard for one cabin width!:cool:

Archived