C-PAP machine

Hello all,

My DB will be taking his first ever cruise with us next March. He uses a CPAP machine. For anyone who knows, is there anything special that he has to do getting it through the initial security check? He has had airports want him to plug it in etc. And if anyone has any particular suggestions that might help him with it's use onboard?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing unusual, but he might want to make sure to have an extension cord since the outlet is not necessarily convenient to where he will want to put the machine.

My dad takes his with no problems whatsoever.

dh takes his, an extension cord is a must, a power strip is also handy.

Carry it on, don't send it with your other luggage (handlers are not the most gentle people on the planet :D ) we've always just used the tap water and not worried about lugging distilled with us, no problem.

DH also took his on the Voyager last January. The wall outlets were not a match for his cord plug in, but the concierge desk was helpful in getting us the correct plug adapter and extension cord. He also used tap water. We had no problems going through security, and I also would recommend carrying it with you instead of packing it in checked luggage. Everything was all ready to use the first night. I had my super-duper ear plugs with me just in case!! I think CPAP machines are becoming more and more common with travelers and travel personnel are getting quite accustomed to seeing them.

My brother-in-law takes his CPAP in his backpack onto the plane and to the ship. He does bring an extensions cord and has never had trouble plugging it in. He does not use distilled water, but if he did, RCI will supply it through special needs.

These machines are becoming well-known and I don't think they are problems. Enjoy.

SO uses a CPAP and we travel quite a bit. He is doing his first cruise with me next January. I emailed RCCL special_needs@rccl.com (underscore between special and needs) and gave them his name, reservation number, ship name, and sail date. They will have an extension cord and jug of distilled water in the cabin for us. We never use tap water, do use bottled water at times - wouldn't use the ship water because there are trace amounts of salt we don't want in the machine or his lungs. You should request them anyway - you can't have too many extension cords - and if you have luck like me, his will suddenly not work when you get there!

He's flown extensively all over the world with the machine - security is so used to seeing them now they don't even ask him to turn it on or anything else anymore.

Hello all,

My DB will be taking his first ever cruise with us next March. He uses a CPAP machine. For anyone who knows, is there anything special that he has to do getting it through the initial security check? He has had airports want him to plug it in etc. And if anyone has any particular suggestions that might help him with it's use onboard?

We sailed on the Mariner two weeks ago and my husband brought his CPAP along. They did swab it when we went through security. We emailed the special needs department and they had an extension cord and distilled water waiting in our cabin. We brought a power strip which was well-used!

Hello all,

We travel with my husbands's c-pap everywhere we go. Have had no problems getting it through the airports at all. As soon as we get in the cabin, I call Housekeeping and request an extension cord...you will need an extension cord to use it in the cabins. They normally deliver it within the hour.

Allie -

Your advice was spot on. My husband was specifically told not to use tap water or spring water in his CPAP. He can only use distilled water. We used to buy it in the port of embarkation and schlep it onto the ship ourselves. Through Cruise Critic we learned about the Special Needs department. They have been wonderful to deal with. In fact, my husband's Crown and Anchor number is tagged with his request for distilled water and an extension cord and we no longer have to request it. It automatically becomes part of every reservation we make on RCCL and Celebrity.

Oh, thanks for that info. When we get back I'm gonna make sure he joins C&A - and to have that be part of his profile and automatic would be great.

Allie -

Your advice was spot on. My husband was specifically told not to use tap water or spring water in his CPAP. He can only use distilled water. We used to buy it in the port of embarkation and schlep it onto the ship ourselves. Through Cruise Critic we learned about the Special Needs department. They have been wonderful to deal with. In fact, my husband's Crown and Anchor number is tagged with his request for distilled water and an extension cord and we no longer have to request it. It automatically becomes part of every reservation we make on RCCL and Celebrity.

Most airlines allow you to caary this on as an additional carryon bag. Medical equipment is above and beyond the allowable limit. I found that each security point has their own inrepretations as far as checking the CPAP. Some just let me run it thru the XRAY machine, others wanted out of my special bag that I use to carry it.

When I got to my cabin my steward asked me if I wanted an extension cord. I had already brought one of my own ( and I suggest you do it if you are going to have any pre or post cruise package). When I am on vacation I try and get by without my humidifier, so I can't speak for obtaining distilled water other than what I heard other people tell me; and that was that they had no problems.

One last suggestion, if you are going out of the country, bring a convertor if you are going to stay in any hotels prior to or after the cruise. The outlets in foreign countries are different than the USA.

Good Sailing, Murf

You should have no problem although some of the security people still look at my DH's little black bag like it's a bomb! We always bring an extension cord and power strip - also use them for our cameras and cellphones, too. He just picks up the cords in the morning - his unit doesn't need the distilled water.

I will say that I would either bring the extension cord or request it in advance. We didn't think about this potential problem on our first cruise and housekeeping did not have any more cords available. We were extremely lucky that the cord BARELY stretched to the bed. Had it not, one of us would have been sleeping out on the balcony because there's no sleeping in the same room with my DH and his snoring. That would have made quite a story since it was a honeymoon cruise.

Been a CPAP user since 1992, and travel with it a lot. Extension cord, because the outlet by the vanity is not close to the beds. I always travel with an extension cord because outlets are not always situated well in hotels, either. ALWAYS carry it on, NEVER check it.

I am "old school" and don't have a humidifier, so don't have to worry about the water thing. One less growth medium is my theory.

BTW, TSA wanted it removed from the case and sent through separately like a laptop at 3 different airports lately. But when they did that, they did not want to swab it like they always had before. Go figure.

Thanks for all the info. I had no idea that they would supply distilled water for the C-Pap machine. I took your advice and contacted Special Needs Dept via e-mail. They responded quickly and informed me, the water and an extension cord will be waiting in my cabin.

Thank you:D

Janet

My DS's first cruise - will just a regular extension cord be ok or does it have to be a heavy duty one? He has never traveled with his CPAP so not sure.

Regular extension cord should be just fine. Make sure it is at least 10' long, though. You want it long enough to lay flat on the floor and it is a long run from the vanity to the night table.

I used the special needs email, we didn't get the water until two days in when we were on the Freedom, but that was a weird trip so I can't judge by that, noro-virus and all :rolleyes:

This trip we will bring our own in a water bottle since we don't have to fly, and it (the c-pacp) stays with him always. I don't imagine the port attendants making a fuss over a bottle of water.

Archived