Cunard-aholic!

EssexGary

I love the QM2. I miss her when I am not on her -and I constantly think about my next voyage. BUT, I also feel that I need to spread my wings and try other lines - I don't want to get bored and fall out of love! plus I think there are a couple of things on QM2 going downhill (eg staff smoking on deck, terrible nightclub, unpredictable service in Britannia Restaurant) meaning I would like to re-calibrate my views and see what I'm missing out on.

So, I was thinking of trying Celebrity (sorry, is that a swear word on this forum?) I sailed on Mercury some 11 years ago (I'm 37 now) to Alaska and really enjoyed it. But then I got the Cunard bug and wouldn't dream of booking anything else - you all know the reasons why.

Has anyone been on Celebrity? how does it compare for finesse and style? I guess the thing I love about Cunard is the heritage - there's unlikely to be much of that on Celebrity I'm sure - but what is the attraction?... Can a Cunard addict ever fall in love twice?

Gary

I love the QM2. I miss her when I am not on her -and I constantly think about my next voyage. BUT, I also feel that I need to spread my wings and try other lines - I don't want to get bored and fall out of love! plus I think there are a couple of things on QM2 going downhill (eg staff smoking on deck, terrible nightclub, unpredictable service in Britannia Restaurant) meaning I would like to re-calibrate my views and see what I'm missing out on.

So, I was thinking of trying Celebrity (sorry, is that a swear word on this forum?) I sailed on Mercury some 11 years ago (I'm 37 now) to Alaska and really enjoyed it. But then I got the Cunard bug and wouldn't dream of booking anything else - you all know the reasons why.

Has anyone been on Celebrity? how does it compare for finesse and style? I guess the thing I love about Cunard is the heritage - there's unlikely to be much of that on Celebrity I'm sure - but what is the attraction?... Can a Cunard addict ever fall in love twice?

Gary

Yes, most definitely! I can't comment on Celebrity but whilst QM2 will always be our favourite ship I have to say that the 14 wonderful nights we've just spent on Royal Caribbean's Independence Of The Seas really opened our eyes.

The service from all of the staff was absolutely spot on. You could not fault a thing. The cuisine and entertainment was exceptional.

Cunard could certainly learn a few things from RCI to address some of it's service issues.

Don't know what you're talking about as to staff smoking on deck, and terrible nightclub.

Never seen any crew smoking on deck, and G32 is the best nightspot on the ocean.

:confused:

I prefer Cunard and the QM2, but the Celebrity Summit Caribbean cruise I took earlier this year was great. It was similar to Cunard in being somewhat formal in that people did dress up for formal nights and there was a feeling that people appreciated that it was a premium line. Also the specialty restaurant Normandie was fantastic. The shows were also very good, and there were some great musical acts on board. There was a wider range of passengers age-wise than on QM2--more children and young adults, this may have been due to the itineary. There were fewer British passengers (none that I ran into), but more Spanish-speaking (we sailed out of Puerto Rico), so it was a nice but different mix culturally. I had a great massage on the Summit, but the spa was definitely better on the QM2. (And there was nothing comparable to the planaterium, of course.) Although I liked the Queen Mary 2 better, I strongly recommend you try Celebrity to see for yourself, particularly if you want a Caribbean or other warm-weather cruise.

It is definitely worth spreading your wings. I think that every passenger line and every ship has it own strengths and weaknesses. Although I have so far only done one QM2 voyage I found it to be far more elegant than any other ship I have experienced. Funnily enough I thought the G32 was much more lively than the Princess ships nightclubs.

I would agree that the service is not as stellar as I anticipated but I would certainly not complain if I could have that service everyday for the rest of my life and I have certainly experienced a lot worse!

In my earlier days I had a number of personal stewards and their standards, and personalities varied even though they were supposedly trained the same way.

Can a Cunard addict ever fall in love twice?

Gary

And why not? There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying out the - ahem, competition. :eek:

Seriously, I was the same as you but with Holland America Line (HAL). It was a sailing on the Oosterdam in 2005 that got me into cruising big time after an 11 year blip since my first cruise (which was okay but one I didn't fall in love with) on yet another line. However, I didn't stay with HAL and tried out Cunard for trip #3. I have so far stayed with the legend (reached World Club Gold already) and happy to report I enjoyed my voyages on the QM2 and QE2 but am realistic enough to note where Cunard hits it right and what I thought was better on HAL. Still, at this time, I rank Cunard as my favourite.

That being said, I do look at other offerings on other lines from time to time, and as you can see by my signature, I am back on HAL for a voyage in 2009. Will I fall back in love or constantly compare it to Cunard? Only time will tell. I would like to believe I can look at both objectively. As for the future - maybe someday Celebrity or one of the luxury lines (if I have the funds) will entice me.

As they say, you'll never know if you don't try!

David

David

Thanks everyone! I will let you know what I decide to do...

ps - let me add to my comments regards smoking and G32. We were on deck 7 at the back sunbathing. just by the outdoor stairwells. We saw 2 crew members smoking with their backs to the wall - trying to look discret but in full view of passengers. Granted, this was the first time we've seen it.

As for G32, I normally do like it - for comedy value mainly - but last time, the DJ was drunk (Nico) on two occassions when I went up to request a track to be played - slurring his words and clearly worse for wear. On another night at 12.30am (Just the time you want to have a good disco-dance) they had some silly country music dance lesson with the social hostess... not exactly stringfellows... why not keep that kind of thing to the Queens Room just outside, and leave the nightclub for dance music..?

Anyway, rant over - thanks again for your contributions..

Hi there

I'd like to add a few comments about the QM2. I have been fortunate enough to sail with her some 5 times now. What I have noticed is the staff seem to be a lot more "relaxed" with regards to customer services, at times happy to talk amongst themsleves whilst customers are waiting, and very happy to relieve their disgruntled views about Cunard to customers, which I think is not appropriate.

I thorughly enjoy Cunard but standards have slipped a bit, and the competition have certainly improved their game - let's hope it doesn't come back to bite them!

If only it wasn't so full of smokers

Oh don't bring that conversation over here. You should see WW3 over at the HAL board. High horses and horses beaten thoroughly by militants on both sides leaving the sane ones in the middle ducking for cover.

David

Who's somewhat put off by the HAL lot at this moment and glad to be over at Cunard

Archived